• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

1.5 oz. Marmite Rye (50% alc. acid catalyzed esterification, max time under heat, fake aged)

.75 oz. Special edition Dandelion honey Yellow Chartreuse (40%)

.75 oz. Gammel dansk (38%)

Some spare projects were lying around so I thought I'd whip up something burly. Something about this just isn't hitting it for me. The alcohol content ends up being massive and I can't quite get a nice glimpse of the sensual character of the dandelion honey. Regrets and missed opportunities, maybe I'll try again after lunch with a sherry in place of the rye.

I remade this as:

1 oz. Manzanilla Pasada (La Cigarerra)

1 oz. Dandelion honey Yellow Chartreuse

1 oz. Gammel Dansk

in this format it is sort of like an amped up Chrysanthemum from the Savoy. pretty cool. Gammel Dansk is some pretty weird stuff and it is hard to compare to any other amaro. It is high alcohol and doesn't have the sugar/bitter ratio of any other product I can think of making it hard to use in the conventional templates. when I put it in a drink I think of it's sugar content as negligible because it is low and so well contrasted by bitterness. Gammel Dansk is well worth the learning curves.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

1.5 oz. Marmite Rye (50% alc. acid catalyzed esterification, max time under heat, fake aged)

.75 oz. Special edition Dandelion honey Yellow Chartreuse (40%)

.75 oz. Gammel dansk (38%)

Some spare projects were lying around so I thought I'd whip up something burly. Something about this just isn't hitting it for me. The alcohol content ends up being massive and I can't quite get a nice glimpse of the sensual character of the dandelion honey. Regrets and missed opportunities, maybe I'll try again after lunch with a sherry in place of the rye.

Maybe try squirrel instead of the marmot. :cool:

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 oz. La Cigarerra Manzanilla Pasada

1 oz. Dammel Gansk (how brynn pronounces it)

1 oz. Special edition cherry campari

really really delicious. the gammel dansk supplies enough alcohol to power the cocktail here. the aged style of manzanilla brings all the woody flavors a whiskey might have contributed. the cherry aspect of the campari is pretty subtle stuff but in this context it seems to glow a bit more than usual.

bostonapothecary.com

I was considering a White Lady last night but only had these ridiculously expensive free-range eggs, so I went with a close relative, the Fine and Dandy from the Savoy: 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz lemon juice, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. The ratios I used are actually from the Bartender's Choice app; the Savoy version equates to 1.5 oz gin, 3/4 each Cointreau and lemon juice, and 3 dashes Angostura bitters. I used Beefeater and realized after the fact that the Savoy actually called for Plymouth (the app does not specify brands). Is Plymouth still preferred for White Ladies and the like?

In any case, this was a very nice cocktail. In my opinion that's the way to do orange in a cocktail, because the juice rarely works and often falls flat. Here with lemon juice and the Cointreau, you get the best of the orange flavor and it stays interesting.

9926207214_4a7a6716f8_z.jpg

• Like 1

I'm developing some recipes for a garden party I'm doing for a florist.

This drink or something similar with be served from champagne magnums.

1.5 oz. cranberry syrup (sugared to approx 250/g/L so 83 grams is added to every 250ml of juice)
.5 oz. New Amsterdam gin from a nip (the ending drink might have to be vodka so I picked the most vodka like gin in the house)
.5 oz. lime juice
.5 oz. Campari
diluted to 4.5 oz. total volume and carbonated to 7 g/L

Pretty good. I can enjoy it and my mom would enjoy it; #crushable. The color will photograph well and choosing cranberry will keep it on budget.

[Moderator note: This topic continues in Drinks! (2013 Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

bostonapothecary.com