• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

Looking for a way to use up two limes I zested for a marinade, I figured what better than consulting Beachbum Berry's Tiki+ app, where I found:

Cesar's Punch:

TWO WHOLE OUNCES lime juice (!!)

1 ounce grenadine (homemade per slkinsey's recipe from a while back)

3 drops (dashes in my case) Angostura

2 oz Barbancourt (they don't say white, 3 star, 5 star or what, but since I have the white and 5, I went with the 5)

Shake w cubed ice, strain over crushed.

Quite delicious!

Only problem - I got the 2 oz lime juice from just one of the damn limes!

One full ounce of grenadine? Wow. I find this quite terrifying :-)

East is more spicy, a little more grassy and citrussy(lemongrass, duh) than Sapphire. Surprisingly god at highlighting those extra botanicals, though juniper gets shoved even further toward the back.

It's bottled at 42% in the UK and that is a good thing.

Thanks Adam, that sounds like something I would be interested in trying.

What Adam said! It is indeed bracing served neat but not its strong suit I think. Just thought it be a good way to punch up that "meh" gimlet!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Looking for a way to use up two limes I zested for a marinade, I figured what better than consulting Beachbum Berry's Tiki+ app, where I found:

Cesar's Punch:

TWO WHOLE OUNCES lime juice (!!)

1 ounce grenadine (homemade per slkinsey's recipe from a while back)

3 drops (dashes in my case) Angostura

2 oz Barbancourt (they don't say white, 3 star, 5 star or what, but since I have the white and 5, I went with the 5)

Shake w cubed ice, strain over crushed.

Quite delicious!

Only problem - I got the 2 oz lime juice from just one of the damn limes!

One full ounce of grenadine? Wow. I find this quite terrifying :-)

Two ounces lime though, mind. It's fairly well balanced, even verging on the tart side. Of course, my grenadine may not be as sweet as commercial grenadine or someone else's homemade.

Cucumber Collins from the Goose & Gander in St. Helena, CA. Made with yuzu and pickled huckleberries and Hendrick's (at my request). Had to go back the next day and get another along with their delicious burger.

IMG_09621.png

• Like 1

I've been playing around with some Heaven Hill-barrel aged coffee from Dark Matter in Chicago. It's pretty potent stuff aroma-wise (coconut, vanilla), and the El Eden beans retained much of their tobacco, banana, and blueberry that they were known for before they got friendly with the charred oak. Tonight, I brewed up some concentrate on the Aeropress and made a 1:1 simple syrup. I was interested to see how it would play with Averna. My first attempt, a Black Manhattan riff, was fine, but nothing worth making again. For my second trick, I thought I'd try Brian Miller's Bay City Roller. Originally, it's:

Bay City Roller

by Brian Miller (formerly of Death & Co., NYC)

2 oz Compass Box Asyla

1 tsp 1:1 Simple Syrup

1/4 oz Averna

Stir/Strain/Rocks

Orange Twist

i used the Dark Matter barrel-aged El Eden Aeropress syrup (1:1 coffee concentrate/sugar) instead of simple, and switched up the Scotch to Balvenie's 17 Year Doublewood. It was terrific.

Edited by KD1191 (log)
  • Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I tried making a Jack Rose with Crème de cassis in place of grenadine. I'm calling it a Rachel Rose.

2oz calvados

1oz lemon juice

1/2oz c de c

Shake + strain

003 (458x640).jpg

It was nice. Sharp and sweet.

My friend had an Opera.

2oz gin

1oz Dubonnet Rouge

1/4oz maraschino

Stir + strain

003 (480x640).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Last night's indulgence: a 1934 Zombie (thanks, Hassouni):

Zombie_sm.jpg

Not that you can see it much; the goblet thing is as close as I've got to a tiki mug (they're not common over here). But the umbrella is always a classy touch, I think. And that's mint floating on top.

This with Gosling Black Seal, Appleton VX and Wray & Nephew. I have a problem with sourness (could just be our lemons and limes don't get as ripe as in warmer regions), so I cut the specified amount of lime juice down considerably and spiked a slice of lime on the umbrella - token gesture. My home-made falernum provided quite a bit of lime kick anyway. This thing was freakin' delicious.

And feel free to admire the splendid bamboo-look straws we found last weekend!

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

In response to the straw comments above I had to mention the lovage that my mentor has us growing because folks use the stem as a straw for Bloody Marys - it has that celery taste?

Basic Mai Tai last night, I usually play around with different rum combos but last night's was a real winner in my book.

1 oz Depaz Blue

.5 oz Smith & Cross

.5 oz Appleton Reserve

.75 oz orgeat

.75 oz lime

.5 oz Creole Shrubb

I've tried using 100% S&C for the Jamaican rum portion before and while it was pretty good, cutting it with a richer/smoother Jamaican seemed to elevate the drink.

'Ti Punch with La Favorite Blanc. YES.

It's been a while since I've posted. That last drink damn near

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

sbumgarner - how do you like the Depaz blue? I have heard mixed reviews.

As a sipper I enjoy it, the agricole funk isn't overpowering and it has some good complexity. It's drier/spicier than other aged rhums I've tried, which leads to mixed success in some cocktails calling for the category. In the Mai Tai I made I think those qualities worked in it's favor, cutting some of the sweetness while not trying to compete with the Smith and Cross flavor bomb. Apparently they water it down to 90 proof for export, would be interested in trying the 100 proof at some point. I can get it for under $40 near me, at that price it's worth taking a flier on.

Afraid not, Furzzy - they came from the wonderful Moore Wilson's here in Welly. But I'll try to remember to look on the box when I get home to find a brand for you.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

"left for dead"

.75 oz. walnut oil aromatized slivovitz**

.75 oz. peruchi spanish sweet vermouth

.75 oz. der lachs danzig goldwasser

.75 oz. lime juice

posthumous dash quinine tincture

**the slivovitz was distilled with the walnut oil as part of my project to hunt for new aroma sources. after seeing the success of fat washing nut oils seemed like a good candidate. I actually left the stuff for dead because at first it was so unremarkable yet somehow a year later it has really transformed. I suspect a good deal of the transformation is post distillation esterification and the spirit approaching various equilibriums after the big shake up of distillation. It would be so cool to explore more of non-traditional esterification but the projects really need a year of foresight and investment. I recently put 8 lost distillation papers on my blog that delve deep into aroma creation within the pot still. I found them in the archives of Roseworthy agricultural college in Australia and convinced the school to digitize them. I think they were forgotten due to WWII and that is why they were never collected by U.C. Davis.

this might read interesting but before the quinine was applied it tasted like Tang brand fake orange drink. I suspect it is from the alliteration of orange aromas in the sweet vermouth and goldwasser. quinine's bitterness added an adult edge but I'd still call this a failure. I need to come up with a new context to show off the remainder of the funky distillate.

a redeeming feature of the drink is that I put the goldwasser through the colloid mill a long time ago to mince all the gold. it didn't became as small as I thought but somehow in this drink it forms a beautiful suspension of gold dust instead of just sinking to the bottom like usual. it might be worth exploring a little deeper.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com