• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

5 oz. highly carbonated green apple soda**

1 oz. gin (seagram's)

.5 oz. lime juice

2 g. non aromatic white sugar

**the green apple soda is made my juicing green apples with an acme juicer (a few at a time) then quickly funneling the juice into a champagne bottle and reflux de-aerating. the juicing happens quickly enough that it doesn't brown. reflux de-aeration purges the juice of any oxygen and prevents oxidative browning. once the oxygen is vented the bottle can under go carbonation. the juice is turbid but could even be racked from most of its sediment if left to sit over night (before carbonating).

really really fun. the color is a beautiful green and hasn't browned at all after sitting around for nine hours. this was meant to loosely resemble a french 75. I could probably drink 20 of these.

I got invited to do three drinks for a large garden party. I'm hoping to make this or a slight variation one of them. I'll probably need to accumulate 20 clear champagne bottles.

• Like 3

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Sometimes simple is best. Recently I purchased some fun sodas at a specialty shop, including Fentimens Dandelion and Burdock. After tasting it on it's own, I could not help thinking it would go well with Fernet Branca. Bingo! I love it when a drink works in my head and in the glass.

There's a great bar in Glendale CA called Neat that serves top shelf spirits (wait for it....) neat with a fancy chaser. I had Ron zacapa grand reserve paired with Fentimens Dandelion that I thought was a knock out combo! Would recommend.

Still on a Cynar hit.

1.75oz Cynar

1.25oz Campari

0.5 oz Maraschino

7 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

5 dashes Angostura Bitters

2 dashes Jerry Thomas Bitters

Build in a stemmed half pint beer glass full of ice, half full of soda, add ingredients, top with soda and more ice.

Note, I'm using the Cocktail Kingdom, Japanese Bitters Bottles, because I'm pimp like that. If using commercial bottles, you could half the amounts unless your bottles are at their most fullest.

This is still a bit sweet. In future, I'd take the Campari down to 1 oz.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Far Eastern Gimlet with gin, lemon juice, homemade elderflower cordial, angostura bitters.

It does have the typical gimlet profile but it was kind of a "meh" for me.

9481038833_aa3c556580_z.jpg

Looking for more interesting things to do with my elderflower cordial. The elderflower taste is on the subtle side.

Sorry about the delay in replying, FP - been away in Australia doing steampunk things and finding interesting bars in Brisbane (there are some, for any Aussies who may be listening).

Do tell. Who knows when I'll get a chance to try them out?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Far Eastern Gimlet with gin, lemon juice, homemade elderflower cordial, angostura bitters.

It does have the typical gimlet profile but it was kind of a "meh" for me.

9481038833_aa3c556580_z.jpg

Looking for more interesting things to do with my elderflower cordial. The elderflower taste is on the subtle side.

Have you tried Bombay Sapphire East gin yet? This might be the kind of cocktail that would work with it.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Thanks tanstaafl2. Based on the fact that I don't care much for Bombay Sapphire, I haven't bothered to try the East gin. What is it like?

The original recipe for the Far Eastern Gimlet calls for vodka (!) but Maks Pazuniak had this variation on eGullet with Hendrick's so I started there.

East is more spicy, a little more grassy and citrussy(lemongrass, duh) than Sapphire. Surprisingly god at highlighting those extra botanicals, though juniper gets shoved even further toward the back.

It's bottled at 42% in the UK and that is a good thing.

I still prefer Original Dry. I just wish they didn't lower the proof here.

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

East is more spicy, a little more grassy and citrussy(lemongrass, duh) than Sapphire. Surprisingly god at highlighting those extra botanicals, though juniper gets shoved even further toward the back.

It's bottled at 42% in the UK and that is a good thing.

Thanks Adam, that sounds like something I would be interested in trying.

It's good, but it's not a must stock. Very bracing served neat.

For that money, i'd sooner buy Jensen's London dry, which nice and citrussy, but very smooth, even more than Plymouth.

Both would be good in an Asian themed drink though as there is a nice serendipitous story that started in Japan with that gin.

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

You can add a little bit to an Aperol Spritz (1-3bsp), or there's the Mulberry from the Manor House Hotel Bar:

• 1 x Bar Spoon Mulberry Jam (can be substituted for a good quality Blackberry Jam)
  • 4-5 leaves of Fresh Garden Mint
  • 1 oz Bombay Sapphire
  • 1 oz Pimms No 1 Cup
  • ½ oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Dash Elderflower Cordial

Method

In the base of a cocktail shaker gently crush the mint and Mulberry Jam.

Add all other ingredients apart from the Elderflower and shake hard with cubed ice. Strain the cocktail into a tall glass with fresh ice and top up with Elderflower.

• Like 1

Thanks Plantes Vertes. I am missing the mulberry (or blackberry) jam but I've bookmarked the recipe.

I may try the spritz next time my husband is out of town (he abhors spritzes and all things bitters), which reminds me that I have to teach myself to open champagne bottles to be fully self-sufficient (I have already conquered the grill...). :smile:

Thanks Plantes Vertes. I am missing the mulberry (or blackberry) jam but I've bookmarked the recipe.

I may try the spritz next time my husband is out of town (he abhors spritzes and all things bitters), which reminds me that I have to teach myself to open champagne bottles to be fully self-sufficient (I have already conquered the grill...). :smile:

It's simple. Chill the bottle, remove the foil and wire and find the seam. Unsheathe your glistening rapier* with the obsidian blade, run the blade gently but quickly up the seam, then when you get to the lip, swiftly flick your wrist to remove the top of the bottle whole. That's the gentleman's way.

*Keep rapier out of reach of children

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1

Sorry about the delay in replying, FP - been away in Australia doing steampunk things and finding interesting bars in Brisbane (there are some, for any Aussies who may be listening).

Do tell. Who knows when I'll get a chance to try them out?

Two recommendations (not the proper thread, but you did ask ...):

The Laneway, 181 Mary Street, is above Euro and Urbane restaurants (Urbane was noted when I asked a few months ago in the Brisbane dining thread for current recommendations). You get to the bar by walking through Euro, then heading upstairs. The two nights (both Thursdays) we went, it was pretty quiet - we had it to ourselves the second time - but apparently Brisbanians emerge from their holes on Fridays, when it should be a bit busier. Good list of house and 'special' cocktails - I greatly enjoyed their barrel-aged Martinez - and very knowledgeable barmen who can talk about their products and find interesting variations. And I nearly forgot to mention the burgers, which are really, really good (go for the wagyu). You can have pretty much anything from Euro's menu served upstairs, it seems. Lovely dessert.

The Walrus Club is under the Regatta Hotel in Toowong and takes a bit of finding - go round the back and peer at doors until you see a small chalk drawing of a walrus! Inside, it's set up as a speakeasy - dark, lots of hidden alcoves, jazz playing and the most enormous rum list you're ever likely to see. I wasn't stunned by my particular Tiki, but if we'd had more time we'd have stayed and experimented some more.

Makes going to Brizzy well worthwhile.

Edited to add burger bit.

Edited by lesliec (log)

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I have a couple of bottle to kill so I returned to our Japanese Bijou twist up thread with JD this time.

1oz Jack Daniel's no 7

1oz Green Chartreuse

1oz Dolin Extra Dry

2 Dashes Bitter Truth Bittermens Xocotol Mole Bitters

1 Dash Dutch's Colonial Bitters

Stir, up. No garnish

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Was wanting something in the vein of an Americano on a lazy Sunday, but couldn't resist adding a bit of extra proof and a dash of obscure liqueur (as is my wont):

1.5 oz Cocchi Americano Rosa

.75 oz Gran Classico Bitter

.5 oz Tanqueray Malacca Gin

.25 oz Secret de Montbourgeau Liqueur (labeled as Domaine de Montbourgeau Macvin du Jura in the U.S.)

Built over ice in a Collins glass, topped with soda. Garnished with a long swath of orange peel, for lack of Bergamot.

Refreshing, yet suitably complex. Lovely.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

How different is it from St Germaine, aside from the alcohol?

haresfur - I have been St. Germain-free for a few years now. But I imagine that it should be roughly the same flavor profile if my syrup was successful. So yes, I could use it in cocktails that call for St Germain. Are there any interesting ones that I should try?

@Frog. Yes.

Bitter Elder
by AmateurHour, commenter on Oh Go.sh and Cocktail Chronicales
1 1/2 oz Gin
3/4 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Lemon juice

Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail

My notes: Absolutely delicious. Made with Tanqueray. More Campari isn't bad -- 3/4 oz

I just made this a few days ago with the new-to-the-market St. Elder. It's the best use of Elderflower liqueur that I know.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

haresfur - I have been St. Germain-free for a few years now. But I imagine that it should be roughly the same flavor profile if my syrup was successful. So yes, I could use it in cocktails that call for St Germain. Are there any interesting ones that I should try?

St. Germain hasn't been in my stock either. I am happy to cheat and have used Ikea elderflower syrup as a substitute - that's why I asked. That being said, I haven't really been drinking SG cocktails much. There are quite a few in the archives from a few years ago when it was all the rage. I did have a decent one at a wedding last week, sort of a gin-gin mule with SG. Too sweet but that was fair enough given their clientele (as an aside they made me a very good Negroni and Margarita).

I thought I posted a taste comparison at one point but can't find it. The syrup tasted a touch sharper/more acidic IIRC, but it seemed to me that there wasn't so much difference a direct substitution wouldn't be about right.

Looking for a way to use up two limes I zested for a marinade, I figured what better than consulting Beachbum Berry's Tiki+ app, where I found:

Cesar's Punch:

TWO WHOLE OUNCES lime juice (!!)

1 ounce grenadine (homemade per slkinsey's recipe from a while back)

3 drops (dashes in my case) Angostura

2 oz Barbancourt (they don't say white, 3 star, 5 star or what, but since I have the white and 5, I went with the 5)

Shake w cubed ice, strain over crushed.

Quite delicious!

Only problem - I got the 2 oz lime juice from just one of the damn limes!