• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

The martini is a drink I have a funny relationship with. I've never got it. Never understood it. I decided, tho', seeing as I recently purchased some new gins (West Winds Cutlass, Old Raj & Blackwoods 2008) that I may as well have a return visit. I went for Blackwoods and Noilly Prat and a 3:1 ratio. A dash of Regan's orange bitters and a twist of lemon. This isn't my favourite drink in the world but I .... I think I like it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

by The Tippler, NYC.

1 oz Stroh Jagertee liqueur

3/4 oz Martinique Rum, Rhum JM (gold)

3/4 oz Rye, Old Overholt

1/2 oz Mezcal, Del Maguey Vida

1 ds Bitters, Bitter End Memphis Barbecue

1 bsp Herbal liqueur, Yellow Chartreuse

Stir, strain, up.

Off-dry, boozy, spicy (cinnamon), balanced, complex, lovely.

--

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A friend insisted on going to The Tippler after an article about the most dangerous (i.e. high proof) cocktails in New York singled out this drink. As the article mentions, the drink is actually quite balanced and interesting, neither too sweet nor firewatery in the least, though you're definitely aware that you're drinking potent booze. Now, if it had been made with 160 proof Stroh, La Favorite Blanc, Rittenhouse bonded, Del Maguey Minero, and Green Chartreuse...

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Wink: 2.66 oz gin (I used Old Raj), .5 oz simple, .33 oz Cointreau, 3 dashes Peychaud's. Shaken w/ ice and served, like a Saz, w/ an absinthe rinse. From here.

I just tried this recipe the otherday too. I found it very enjoyable cocktail that really showcases how gin and Peychauds can work together, unlike in a rather unpleasant 50/50 martini I tried to make subbing the Peychauds in for the orange bitters. Next time I might reduce the simple to .33 oz though, I found it edge up on too sweet.

The Mid-City for Kindred Cocktails. An ounce each of rye, cognac and sweet vermouth (I used Punt e Mes), a half ounce of coffee liqueur (I used Illy), a couple dashes of Peychaud's and six drops of Xocolatl Mole bitters. Lemon twist. Rocks glass. Yeah. I like it better than the Vieux Carre. And I like the Vieux.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

pantry cocktail

2.5 oz. hopped blue berry maple shrub**

.5 oz. campari

.5 oz. arrette blanco tequila

shaken and double strained into a champagne 375 and then carbonated to 7 g/L

**The shrub is a cheater of Sap House meadery's astounding hopped blueberry maple mead, honey vinegar, and non-aromatic white sugar. 1.5 oz. of the mead, 1 oz. of the honey vinegar, and 10 grams of non-aromatic white sugar. The alcohol content averages down to 4%. I justify this blasphemous shrub cheater under the principles of aestheticism.

It looks so nice in my Czech crystal flute. I first did the pantry cocktail 7 or 8 years ago and back then it was a tequila drink with verjus and balsamic vinegar. This version is very interesting. There is a unique meeting point of the vinegar acid and the bitterness of the campari. Campari plus typical acids often construct grapefruit expressions but here, at the meeting of acetic acid and vinegar, recollection knows not what to do. If this cocktail cannot retrieve memories I bet it can cement them. Only drink such a rare experience when you want an evening to be unforgettable.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

A couple of tiki drinks that I realized are extremely similar. Don the Beachcomber's Donga Punch with rhum agricole, cinnamon, grapefruit & lime, and Jeff Berry's Ancient Mariner with a dark Jamaican rum + Demerara rum combo, allspice dram, grapefruit & lime. Slight preference for the Donga Punch because of the rhum agricole which gives more depth.

9356261338_cb03b8dd54_z.jpg

9363213372_7c8112226d_z.jpg

• Like 1

Had shitty day at work, and couldn't even look forward to coming because I had a possible plumbing disaster waiting for me.

But, everything worked out, and it was time for a cocktail. I decided on a suped-up Sazerac. Lo, and it was good.

2 oz Rittenhouse

1 bspn 2:1 gum syrup

2 dashes Peychauds

2 dashes Creole Bitters

1 dash Miracle Mile Candy Cap Mushroom Bitters

rinse - Jade Edouard Nouvelle Orleans Absinthe

lemon peel.

It's amazing the depth of flavor that can be added without messing with the base spirit.

Adding in the Candy Cap just adds this unidentifiable "bottom end" on the cocktail, similar to using a base spirit with a lot more age on it.

And the Creole Bitters just seem like Peychauds on steroids - super spicy and vivid.

All in all - it's a total winner.

• Like 2

I stopped in Cambridge's Russel House Tavern and Fred Yarm made me his new Chutes & Ladders, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The combination of Tequila and rum-based Swedish Punsch is unexpectedly great. It is a variation on the Metaxa from the Royal Cafe Cocktail Book, according to Fred's blog, Cocktail Virgin Slut.

At home, I substituted Tempus Fugit's Kina L'Avion D'Or for the specified Cocci Americano and was satisfied with the result. I recall someone (apparently not Fred) rejecting the combination of rum and tequila, but this one sure works.

Chutes and Ladders
by Fred Yarm, Russel House Tavern, Cambridge, MA
1 1/2 oz Blanco tequila, Zapopan Blanco
1 oz Swedish Punsch, Kronan
1 oz Aromatized wine, Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Lime juice
1 ds Simple syrup (optional)
1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Shake, strain, straight up, single Old Fashioned glass, garnish

Complex and delicous

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Well I have worked a gazillion trillion hours this week, so today I thought I deserved to complain loudly like a true Stoic, and have a de la Louisianne, which was a relief. And then I shot my boss.

009 (480x640).jpg

You garnish it with a maraschino cherry, everyone, but life is such that I had none.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1

Well I have worked a gazillion trillion hours this week, so today I thought I deserved to complain loudly like a true Stoic, and have a de la Louisianne, which was a relief. And then I shot my boss.

attachicon.gif009 (480x640).jpg

You garnish it with a maraschino cherry, everyone, but life is such that I had none.

Sounds like you really needed this drink.

Which version of de la Louisiane did you make?

The drink or the shot boss?

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

attachicon.gif009 (480x640).jpg

Sounds like you really needed this drink.

Which version of de la Louisiane did you make?

FrogPrincesse, it's the one from PTD p103. Although now that I check I see the garnish is actually three brandied cherries.

2oz Wild Turkey rye

.75oz Dolin sweet vermouth

.75 Benedictine

3ds St George absinthe

3ds Peychaud's bitters

Stir over ice and strain into a coupe.

The drink or the shot boss?

:biggrin: Think you'll find a Shot Boss is an apple in the mouth and a cross of rose-petals over the heart with your calling card.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1

Wanted to make a Daiquiri, but also wanted to drink Cynar, so I did both.

1.25oz Havana Club 3yr

1.25oz Havana Club Anejo

1.25oz Cynar

0.75oz Lime

0.5 oz Maraschino

2 Dash Peychaud's Bitters

1 Dash Bob's Liquorice Bitters

It's pretty phenomenal

Blending the two rums was definitely the way to go with this one.

IMG_3946-copy.jpg

Also, dat Bokeh! New lens. Shame about the angle.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

recently under strange circumstances I inherited a large pile of lambruscos that might be a few years too old. they have more sediment than I've ever seen in a sparkler. I thought I would make some sangria with them which has become a runaway success.

400 ml Lambrusco (sparkling red)

400 ml rose (2010 Li Veli rose of negro amaro)

100 ml lemon juice

100 ml honey "syrup" (ames farm honey 1:1 with vodka)

100 ml Matilde Poire (this should be a staple of every bar)

this 1.1 liters is put into a champagne magnum bottle and carbonated to about 7g/L. it is then served over ice which de-gasses it to typical soda over ice territory.

garnish with a really nice piece of mint.

I had been drinking these for a few days with out mint then my co-worker had the good sense to start topping them with the yerba buena.

the interesting thing here is that upon consumption when the frontal olfactory top notes of the mint align with the flavour of the sangria the overwhelming aroma of peach is conjured. a peach more real than a real peach.

when you approach your second glass aware of the illusion, the mint aroma might be out of alignment and you will just get mint but as your attention vacillates from other focal points everything can be pulled back into alignment and the peach can return.

does mint contain any aroma fragments of peach? I don't know. what is really happening I have no idea and can only speculate.

I think aroma recognition differs from facial recognition in the way that when you see a fragment of a familiar face you may easily recognize it but you fill in the rest with a symbol like a name of person recognized. you do not end up completing every other detail of the face. but aroma recognition is different, when you encounter just a jaw-bone fragment of a larger aroma object, the mind completes the whole with the missing sensory values from memory not just a stand-in symbol like a name. this is probably how a peach can be so vividly summoned from this pile of flavour fragments.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)
  • Like 1

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Sometimes simple is best. Recently I purchased some fun sodas at a specialty shop, including Fentimens Dandelion and Burdock. After tasting it on it's own, I could not help thinking it would go well with Fernet Branca. Bingo! I love it when a drink works in my head and in the glass.

• Like 1

last two days have seen:

(from my hand)

Ancient Mariner, with ED5 and Appleton 12, and homemade pimento dram

Mai Tai w Scarlet Ibis, homemade orgeat, and Senior Curaçao

Caipirinha w Sagatiba

(from others)

Hoegaarden

Cass - "Sound of Vitality!"

Chum Churum Soju - lots and lots tonight

Perhaps the most knowledgeable bartender at my favourite bar, Whisky & Alement, suggested making an Old Fashioned with Ardbeg Uigeadail in a recent article. In place of a cherry I used a teaspoon of Luxardo. I like this a lot.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne