• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

chocolate-martini

1 oz. tomatin 12 single malt

1 oz. florio sweet marsala

1 oz. russo nocino (40% alc.!)

.5 oz. melted dark chocolate and heavy cream stolen from the pastry dept.

a text book chocolate martini. made for a couple of young girls that like to try out a bartender's chocolate martini where ever they go. "best chocolate-martini ever!". I had to make another one for myself and I concur.

personally I love hyphenated martini/margarita cocktail names. I've been doing subversive things with them for years.

the culinary arts are in a good place right now where I can get away with the walnut/marsla/chocolate combo. I think it was seven years ago deep in the heyday of the chocolate martini that I was making them as:

1.5 oz. vanilla vodka

1 oz. creme de cocoa

.5 oz. matusalem 30 year old oloroso sherry

the reps could never understand how a small spot with such a big dessert wine list could move so much oloroso. it was all large wedding groups from the hotel descending upon the bar and crushing round after round of chocolate martinis. I miss that place.

• Like 2

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Got some store bought juice blends today just because. Tonight's experiment:

2 oz. Brokers gin

3 oz Welchs Dragonfruit-Mango juice

splash fresh lime

dash Fee Bros. Whiskey barrel aged bitters

2 oz Barritts ginger beer

Build over ice in Collins glass. Stir.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Had a great drink at Pouring Ribbons the other night called the Two Trick Pony. It apparently developed out of the idea of using Miller High Life (the Champagne of Beers) to make a French 75. It's a mix of white whiskey & Weller special reserve with lemon and High Life, their orgeat tying it all together. It's a remarkably fruity drink, which I think is mostly the aromas of the white whiskey playing tricks. Served in a mason jar, of course...

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Fog Cutter

Plantation 3 Stars Rum,

Beefeater Gin, Calvados,

Fino Sherry,

PX,

Orange,

Lemon,

Almond,

Barrel-aged in French Oak.

970265_477028032387597_296810428_n.jpg

Edited by Adam George (log)
  • Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Preparing for a trip to the US by drinking up my Russel's Reserve. It seemed a shame to do anything more complicated than an Old Fashioned. Used Regan's orange bitters as a change from my usual Fee's whiskey barrel or Jerry Thomas bitters.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Had a great drink at Pouring Ribbons the other night called the Two Trick Pony. It apparently developed out of the idea of using Miller High Life (the Champagne of Beers) to make a French 75. It's a mix of white whiskey & Weller special reserve with lemon and High Life, their orgeat tying it all together. It's a remarkably fruity drink, which I think is mostly the aromas of the white whiskey playing tricks. Served in a mason jar, of course...

I'd drink that. Any idea of the ratios?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'll ask tomorrow, but I'd start with a good French 75 recipe and work from there...

Wondrich’s French 75

2 ounces London dry gin (1 oz ea white whiskey/Bourbon)

1 teaspoon superfine sugar (1/4 - 1/2 oz orgeat)

1/2 ounce lemon juice (1/2 oz lemon)

5 ounces Brut Champagne (5 oz Miller High Life)

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I'll ask tomorrow, but I'd start with a good French 75 recipe and work from there...

Wondrich’s French 75

2 ounces London dry gin (1 oz ea white whiskey/Bourbon)

1 teaspoon superfine sugar (1/4 - 1/2 oz orgeat)

1/2 ounce lemon juice (1/2 oz lemon)

5 ounces Brut Champagne (5 oz Miller High Life)

when I first got the champagne bottle manifold up and running one of the first things I did was double carbonate High Life and turn it into the true champagne of beers. there is lots of potential for using beer in these cocktail contexts when you can add extra gas.

the other day we ran out of prosecco so we carbonated a few still wines to put in our negroni sbagliatos. muller thurgau was the most prosecco like but we also carbonated a great French chardonnay that was lying around. gassing up the chardonnay seemed to create the brioche effect even though you definitely would not have called the still wine brioche-y.

carbonation plays awesome tricks.

• Like 1

bostonapothecary.com

by Joaquín Simó, Pouring Ribbons, NYC.
1 oz White whiskey, Low Gap
1 oz Bourbon, WL Weller (7 year)
3/4 oz Lemon juice
1/4 oz Orgeat
1/4 oz Demerara syrup (2:1)
1 ds Bitters, Angostura
1 1/2 oz Beer, Miller High Life
1 twst Orange peel
Shake all but High Life, strain into an 8 oz mason jar containing High Life, garnish with an orange pigtail twist.
--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community
Here's a somewhat blurry camera phone picture of Joaquín's drawing of a mason jar.
ffR15iD.jpg?1
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

At MoVida Nextdoor in Melbourne:

Rebujito – La Goya Manzanilla, Citrus & Soda

Don't know the proportions. A low alcohol fizzy drink that tastes decidedly 'adult' to me.

In the Picasso Museum of I forget now which city, is a paper napkin into which your man once burnt a smiley dog face with a fag end. This blurry mason jar doodle picture might some day make your fortune, Rafa!

Ah yes. Didn't Picasso tip his servers that way, by giving them an original Picasso? I look forward to the day when I can gather my art collector friends in my foyer and show them my framed and bona fide original Simó.

At MoVida Nextdoor in Melbourne:

Rebujito – La Goya Manzanilla, Citrus & Soda

Don't know the proportions. A low alcohol fizzy drink that tastes decidedly 'adult' to me.

A Rebujito ("little tangle") is a popular highball in Andalusia and other parts of Spain, usually just light sherry and Sprite or another lemon soda. I imagine MoVida did a craftier version with fresh juice.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Ah yes. Didn't Picasso tip his servers that way, by giving them an original Picasso? I look forward to the day when I can gather my art collector friends in my foyer and show them my framed and bona fide original Simó.

I try this method of tipping all the time and people just laugh at me. Little did they realise that when I get famous, they would've got rich.

At a nice quiet bar in Melbourne: a 'drunken chicken Sazerac'. Based on Cognac. The sweetness (and chicken aspect) came from a 'chicken fat-washed ginger syrup'. The drink was overly salty, I thought. What was hiding under the saline was pleasant enough, though.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

At a nice quiet bar in Melbourne: a 'drunken chicken Sazerac'. Based on Cognac. The sweetness (and chicken aspect) came from a 'chicken fat-washed ginger syrup'. The drink was overly salty, I thought. What was hiding under the saline was pleasant enough, though.

I can't say I'd be tempted to try anything washed in chicken fat but I guess if you are going to do it, ginger and absinthe (?) might go with it as well as anything. I'd be more tempted to add some Pernod to a dish of ginger chicken.

I finally got around to trying out the raw meat infused demerara rum described by Peter Valaer in 1937. I infused my over proof rum with hangar steak. The meat turned grey fairly quickly and all science I know implies it was sterilized. It has only been three days but I thought I'd give it a try.

1 oz. raw meat infused over proof demerara rum (the water in the meat seemed to dilute the proof far less than I estimated)

1 oz. cinzano sweet vermouth

nothing impressive. the rum already has a pungent, concentrated, dense sort of character that is hard to budge. my theory is that fatty acids in the meat might turn into esters in their new high alcohol environment though that could take a considerable amount of time. I de-aerated the infusion, to prevent oxidative rancidity, but maybe it has to go rancid, who knows.

I will have to think about this more. It is uncharted territory.

• Like 1

bostonapothecary.com

And now it's National Ice Cream Day, as I found out through the President's Facebook feed. (Thanks, Obama!) Cool down with one of these:

by Kevin Burke, Colt & Grey, Denver, CO
3/4 c Ice cream (Coffee-flavored)
1 1/2 oz Milk (Whole)
2 oz Reposado Tequila
1/2 oz Crème Yvette
1/2 oz Orgeat (1/4-3/4 oz)
1 pn Nutmeg (as garnish)
Blend. Pour into a hurricane glass and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

Or, cough cough, this old thing:
by Rafa García Febles, NYC.
1 oz Oloroso sherry
1/2 oz Apple brandy
1/2 oz Scotch
3/4 oz Ginger syrup
1/2 oz Lemon juice
3 oz Ice cream (honey-flavored)
1 ds Bitters, Angostura
1 ds Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
Blend til blended. Pour into a milkshake glass, garnish with cherry, serve with straw, two if sipping with your sweetheart.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

And now it's National Ice Cream Day

Funny, just so happens I made Chartreuse Milkshakes the other night to kill off a couple nearly empty bottles...it was on the fly, but I think it went something like this:

3/4 - 1 Cup Vanilla Ice Cream

1 1/2 Ounces Yellow Chartreuse

1/2 Ounce Green Chartreuse

1/2 Ounce Lime Juice

1/2 Tablespoon Honey

Blend until smooth, pour into frosty glass.

• Like 1

DeVoto, The Hour

The Wink: 2.66 oz gin (I used Old Raj), .5 oz simple, .33 oz Cointreau, 3 dashes Peychaud's. Shaken w/ ice and served, like a Saz, w/ an absinthe rinse. From here.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between