• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 1)

Czequershuus

[Moderator note: This topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Drinks! (2012, part 2)]

Screw the bubbly, I was enjoying a new years cocktail. To celebrate my new bottle of Aperol, I went with this one from Cocktail Virgin Slut

Neighborhood Nine
2.5 Oz Rye (Said Rittenhouse, I used Willett)
0.5 Oz Dry Vermouth
0.5 Oz Aperol
0.25 Oz Drambuie
1 ds Orange Bitters (Ango Orange)

Fantastic flavor explosion. Great way to ring in the new year.

Edited by Mjx (log)

last night, it was:

2 oz. Ransom Old Tom

1 oz. each of Dolin dry and Punt e Mes

1 barspoonful (ok, I used a half capful, so more or less) maraschino and CioCiaro

stirred and strained, with a twist of yuzu as a garnish.

F'ing delish.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Nothing out of the ordinary but I visited the Bulgari Hotel London bar and cigar room and had a fair few Manhattans made with Rittenhouse BIB and Cocchi Turino (Fast overtaking Antica as my favourite sweet vermouth).

My first two were with Boker's and my second two (Post cigar) were with Abbott's. Definitely the right order - Abbott's gives the drink a much more digestif quality.

Great night. Service was spot on.

After I specified my spirits and garnish (orange twist, please) our bartender, Yoaan, had sized me up enough to ask which bitters I preferred and then presented me with three options for glassware. Drinks are served in perfect Charles Schumann Schott Zwiesel glasses.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Revisited an old favourite in the form of a Negroni. Incidentally, I think white rum (wanted to use up the last dram or so of a bottle) works better than the original gin or the dark rum of a Kingston Negroni.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Mediterranean Manhattan from the Woodford site (no direct link, sorry).

2 oz. Bourbon

1 oz. Tuaca

1/4 oz. lemon juice

1/2 oz. simple syrup

How they can call this a Manhattan, I do not understand. It has no rye, no vermouth (sweet or otherwise), no bitters, and no cherry garnish. Might as well call it a Mediterranean Boilermaker.

Agree totally.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Chris @Mitch - I revisited the Gin-Cyn-Cin (but I made it with Punt e Mes) and liked it even more than I remembered:

Gin-Cin-Cyn

by Washington Post

1 oz Gin

1 oz Cynar

1 oz Sweet vermouth

1 ds Peychaud's Bitters (or angostura bitters)

I don't have a good attribution for this. Anyone know who created it and when? And sometimes it's just Cin Cyn.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Just made a Floridita with the new Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao and it's fantastic.

1 1/2 oz Lt Rum (Matusalem Platino)

1/2 oz Lime

1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth (Carpano)

1 tsp Grenadine (homemade)

1/2 tsp Creme de Cacao (Tempus Fugit)

I tried the cacao in a Twentieth Century (one of my favorite drinks) last week and didn't like it there -- too much chocolaty-goodness for the drink. But it seems MADE for the Floridita.

Dan

Just made a Floridita with the new Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao and it's fantastic.

1 1/2 oz Lt Rum (Matusalem Platino)

1/2 oz Lime

1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth (Carpano)

1 tsp Grenadine (homemade)

1/2 tsp Creme de Cacao (Tempus Fugit)

I tried the cacao in a Twentieth Century (one of my favorite drinks) last week and didn't like it there -- too much chocolaty-goodness for the drink. But it seems MADE for the Floridita.

Dan

That sounds wonderful. Another successful rum + sweet vermouth combo. I am hoping to have a bottle of this creme de cacao by Tempus Fugit that everyone has been raving about in the near future.

Oui.

It's also the only ratio that I can stand Bacardi Daiquiris in. Anymore lime and the rum gets killed.

It's a shame Bacardi promote a 2:1:1 formula; at least in the UK.

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Oui.

It's also the only ratio that I can stand Bacardi Daiquiris in. Anymore lime and the rum gets killed.

Merci.

Now regarding Bacardi in daiquiris (or Bacardi in general) - not much flavor to begin with!

Oui.

Merci.

Now regarding Bacardi in daiquiris (or Bacardi in general) - not much flavor to begin with!

Oh no, you're right. But a 10:3:2 Daiquiri with Bacardi works. just.

I can't tell you the pain I went through trying to make a drink for Bacardi Legacy.

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I made this Manhattan for my husband last night while I was enjoying my Cynar drink.

Blanton's single barrel bourbon, Dolin sweet vermouth, Fee Brothers whiskey-barrel aged bitters, brandied griotte (morello) cherry.

8384677605_0392a55668_z.jpg

It was quite smooth with a hint of spice from the bourbon, but I think my drink was more fun.

I made Meehan's Negroni in this very beautifully shot video.

I used Pampero Blanco, Campari and Blandy's Madeira.

It was alright, but not rum-y enough. I imagine Meehan has this spec'd with Bank's, which I do not have access to.

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I just made the Negroni too. I couldn't catch the kind of sherry he uses so I (dangerously, yeah?) decided to use what I had on hand: a random Pedro. It's ... okay. Presumably not what he had in mind. Anyway. That third cocktail, I know that the unnamed ingredients (Google powers) are maraschio and absinthe. Now, the absinthe is obviously just a rinse/couple drops but how much cherry liqueur does he use? Anyone know?

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Yeah, the first time I did it I used a blend of Lustau Pedro and Lustau Oloroso:

Far too sweet.

Also, interesting that there is Maraschino in that Sazerac. Good too; I spotted the mist and presumed absinthe, but thought the two pours of white liquid were just continuity errors.

Odd they don't even mention the absinthe, this being "Maison Premiere" and all.

Edited by Adam George (log)

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I worked out what the two unnamed ingredients were by looking up their website. The 'signature' cocktail is, unsurprisingly, on the menu. Sadly, I couldn't find a text version of the recipe, making that third of the (beautifully shot, as you say) video rather useless. Which is a shame, as that's the drink that most appeals.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Made a Good Things Come from the Beta book:

1 3/4 oz Redbreast

1/2 oz PX sherry

1/2 Fernet Branca

1/4 yellow Chartreuse

The recipe asked for a dash of Scrappy's lavender bitters, which I sadly do not have on hand. I dashed in our friend Adam's Aphrodite bitters instead, and, by gum, that works just fine. A splendid entry in the brown-n-stirred canon, and, thanks to Aphrodite, a pun on the drink's name as well.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts