• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions re: Cooking with Sparkling Water

Shel_B

Just one of those thoughts that crosss my mind every now and then: Has anyone tried cooking with sparkling water, like club soda or mineral water? How has the finished product turned out? Can anyone think of a problem using sparking water in cooking? Does anyone else have strange thoughts and ideas such as this?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I sometimes used it in pancake batter instead of milk or instead of half the milk. Made a bit fluffier pancakes. But that's batter made from scratch, flour, eggs, salt, liquid. Not the stuff you mix from a box here, that was back in Germany. It did seem to make them a bit fluffier. I should try that again.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I'll second the matzoh ball recommendation, definitely improves the texture. Have to try it in batter.

Ahh .. I recall a matzoh ball recipe from Arthur Schwartz that used seltzer. Might try that and see what it does to my "sinkers."

... Shel

• 4 weeks later...

RRO (rarerollingobject) also posted a recipe for scones that uses seltzer. have to dig it up though -- it's on my "to-do" list eventually.

Hey there. Just happened across this thread and saw this. My recipe, such as it is, is just 1 cup mineral/sparkling water, 1 cup Greek yoghurt or cream, 3 cups self-raising flour. Mix together with a knife, dump out and cut scone-like rounds, brush with a little leftover yoghurt and bake 15 minutes at 220C. They're not as flaky as butter-based scones, but very easy. I tend to make savoury scones (i.e. use this as a base to add cheese, green onions, chilli, bacon or whatnot, but for a sweet version, I just add some sugar. Makes perfectly nice scones, if you ask me.

My theory is that the carbonation gives the self-raising flour a little more lift.

Carrots Vichy is a recipe I think everyone is forced to learn in culinary school. Its pretty much just a standard glace, but you cook the carrots in bottled sparkling water. (vichy water if its around, perrier if not)

I honestly don't know that it nakes that big a difference, but its a pretty traditional recipe.

Carrots Vichy is a recipe I think everyone is forced to learn in culinary school. Its pretty much just a standard glace, but you cook the carrots in bottled sparkling water. (vichy water if its around, perrier if not)

Thanks for that tip! I looked up Vichy Carrots and was surprised at how many variations there are for what seems to so simple a recipe. People were using lemon-lime soda, adding molasses, par cooking the vegetables then sauteing in butter ... my, oh my.

I think what I'll try is cooking sliced carrots in sparkling water (Vichy, if I can find it, otherwise Perrier or San Pellegrino), adding a knob of good butter, maybe a teaspoon of sugar, and just simmer until the liquid evaporates and the carrots are nicely glazed, maybe let 'em brown a scosh, and then sprinkle over some fresh chopped parsely. I should be able to get some nice, fresh, sweet carrots, so the sugar may not even be neccessary. Does that sound like a way to go?

... Shel

Thanks for that tip! I looked up Vichy Carrots and was surprised at how many variations there are for what seems to so simple a recipe. People were using lemon-lime soda, adding molasses, par cooking the vegetables then sauteing in butter ... my, oh my.

I think what I'll try is cooking sliced carrots in sparkling water (Vichy, if I can find it, otherwise Perrier or San Pellegrino), adding a knob of good butter, maybe a teaspoon of sugar, and just simmer until the liquid evaporates and the carrots are nicely glazed, maybe let 'em brown a scosh, and then sprinkle over some fresh chopped parsely. I should be able to get some nice, fresh, sweet carrots, so the sugar may not even be neccessary. Does that sound like a way to go?

What you describe is the "right way" to do a classic carrots vichy. Would definitely add a little sugar as it makes a better glaze. I'm not sure the mineral water really adds all that much, but even if it doesnt you'll still have delicious carrots!

Edited by Twyst (log)

What you describe is the "right way" to do a classic carrots vichy. Would definitely add a little sugar as it makes a better glaze. I'm not sure the mineral water really adds all that much, but even if it doesnt you'll still have delicious carrots!

Upon reading about Vichy water, I learned that it has a somewhat high mineral content which can impart a taste to some cooking, which suggests that mineral water, rather than tap water or plain, chemical-free, bottled water may provide a somewhat - maybe subtle or even imperceptable - authenticity to the dish. In any case, my tap water, even though it's filtered, does have a slight "off" taste, and lately I've been using bottled spring water for some of my cooking. Since I'm paying for bottled water, I might as well try some Perrier, which I bought today along with the carrots.

Now, about that glaze: some time ago someone suggested a little orange juice to glaze and enhance the flavor of carrots. While I intend to make a more traditional version of the dish, I may also try a version without sugar, using orange juice instead. Might make an interesting variation ... <shrug> Any thoughts on how orange juice might work in this dish?

... Shel

As I recall from MC, it is the alkalinity of the water from Vichy that makes the dish authentic. I don't have MC in front of me however.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, Perrier comes in flavoured versions, as well as plain. Maybe try the lemon-lime version? Also, Le Croix makes flavoured, unsweetened seltzer that is very good. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with most here that I don't have a whole lot of uses for sparkling water beyond tempura-like applications.

The traditional Vichy Carrots that we learn early in school, I've tried with all the others mentioned above, except never flavored ones. Will have to give that one some thought. Also, Shel, don't eliminate the bit of sugar...it promotes the caramelization that's so important in this dish

Also, Shel, don't eliminate the bit of sugar...it promotes the caramelization that's so important in this dish

When I made the carrots, I got some nice caramelization. I'm sure I used a bit of sugar. The results were pretty good, and gave me an idea to something more with roasted, caramelized carrots.

... Shel