• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One meal any where in the UK

If you could go to any restaurant anywhere in the UK which one would you choose?

This is not a totally hypothetical question. I have to take someone, who is visiting the UK, out to eat. They are visiting various parts of the UK as part of the trip so the area does no matter.

The only proviso is that it has to be possible to get a table so the Fat Duck is off the list!

Andrew

If you could go to any restaurant anywhere in the UK which one would you choose?

This is not a totally hypothetical question. I have to take someone, who is visiting the UK, out to eat. They are visiting various parts of the UK as part of the trip so the area does no matter.

The only proviso is that it has to be possible to get a table so the Fat Duck is off the list!

Andrew

I guess it depends what that someone is particularly interested in. If it's ambiance, I'm sure there are many spectacular/lovely/cosy places scattered all over Britain. If it's cuisine, I doubt one can do much better than picking The Ledbury.

This is not a restaurant I know but it will make your heart soar - I hope! There is a tiny fish and chip shop in the village of Findhorn on the NE coast of Scotland where the required food is cooked in local highland beef dripping, the haddock is fresh as a daisy and the chips are always good. You take it outside and sit and gaze out over the Moray Firth, watch the dolphins if you are lucky, admire the snowy mountains, drink beer from the Black Isle and just savour our beautiful Island with all its diversity. A real treat that shows off our spectacular land as well as any expensive eatery.