• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice Cookbooks

Lindacakes

There doesn't seem to be anything in the threads about spice cookbooks.

I just bought The Book of Spices by Frederic Rosengarten, Jr. Copyright 1969. (He has a nut book, too, different thread.) Fabulous illustrations.

I also have McCormick's Spices of the World Cookbook and The Spice Cookbook by Avanelle Day and Lillie Stuckey.

Anyone have opinions or recommendations?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I've got Madhur Jaffrey's 'Indian Spice Kitchen' http://www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffreys-Indian-Spice-Kitchen/dp/185793640X

It's a very small book, but covers 22 spices in depth, giving the Indian perspective on their use. I like it, I wish she'd do a more comprehensive volume.

Back in the late 60's, when I was first learning to cook, I bought two cookbooks devoted to spices:

The Spice Island Cookbook - http://www.amazon.com/The-Spice-Islands-Cook-Book/dp/0016811828

And The Spice Cookbook (which Lindacakes references) - http://www.amazon.com/The-Spice-Cookbook-Lillie-Stuckey/dp/0872500225

They have both been devoted and valued companions to me, lo these many decades. I can't possibly tell you how frequently I've been working on a dish, thought it needed a little flavor boost, and consulted one of these two books to see which herb or spice they recommended be added.

And, for years, my standard wedding/kitchen shower gift was a basket filled with assorted herbs and spices, and one of these two books.

They still hold an honored spot in my cookbook rack and I still refer to them at least once a month. I've cleaned out my cookbook shelf a time or two through the years and never would consider getting rid of either of them. So I do recommend them.

But I will say that it's obvious now that these two old friends are, like me, I suppose, somewhat dated. Often, as I'm perusing this recipe or that herb/spice description, I run across some bit of information that seems passé.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's a brilliant shower gift idea. I trust you won't mind if I borrow it.

Mind? Why, I'm flattered!

I usually went with the Spice Islands Cookbook for the basket because it's smaller, and looks so pretty with all of the herbs and spices arranged attractively around.

I gave it, not only for wedding/shower gifts, but also to neices, nephews, friends's children, etc., that were headed off to college, or to their first apartment, or something like that.

It always went over really well. For one thing, those herbs and spices are expensive, and can be quite a shock the first time you head to the market to stock up your spice rack. Especially if you're a neophyte at the cooking and seasoning game and have no idea what to buy.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love a good recommendation here too. Has anyone heard of a book that contains recommended measurements for spices? Obviously things vary a lot but it'd be fantastic to have a starting point for recipes with less familiar flavor profiles. Just something like "X is commonly used 2:1 with Y", or "10g of Z per chicken breast". I suspect I'm looking for something that's not entirely possible, but that doesn't mean I can't dream...

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this one, it's very good on the spices themselves, I don't know about the recipes yet. Published in 1969, excellent illustrations.

The Book of Spices

Frederick Rosengarten, Jr.

This one is out now, very beautiful and the recipes look good, well-chosen. It comes in for some criticism on Amazon but it doesn't seem as if anyone has actually cooked from it:

The Spice Bible

Jane Lawson

Thanks for the tip on The Spice Cookbook, Jaymes. Looks good, I'm getting one.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.