• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Lindacakes

Spice Cookbooks

8 posts in this topic

There doesn't seem to be anything in the threads about spice cookbooks.

I just bought The Book of Spices by Frederic Rosengarten, Jr. Copyright 1969. (He has a nut book, too, different thread.) Fabulous illustrations.

I also have McCormick's Spices of the World Cookbook and The Spice Cookbook by Avanelle Day and Lillie Stuckey.

Anyone have opinions or recommendations?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Back in the late 60's, when I was first learning to cook, I bought two cookbooks devoted to spices:

The Spice Island Cookbook - http://www.amazon.com/The-Spice-Islands-Cook-Book/dp/0016811828

And The Spice Cookbook (which Lindacakes references) - http://www.amazon.com/The-Spice-Cookbook-Lillie-Stuckey/dp/0872500225

They have both been devoted and valued companions to me, lo these many decades. I can't possibly tell you how frequently I've been working on a dish, thought it needed a little flavor boost, and consulted one of these two books to see which herb or spice they recommended be added.

And, for years, my standard wedding/kitchen shower gift was a basket filled with assorted herbs and spices, and one of these two books.

They still hold an honored spot in my cookbook rack and I still refer to them at least once a month. I've cleaned out my cookbook shelf a time or two through the years and never would consider getting rid of either of them. So I do recommend them.

But I will say that it's obvious now that these two old friends are, like me, I suppose, somewhat dated. Often, as I'm perusing this recipe or that herb/spice description, I run across some bit of information that seems passé.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's a brilliant shower gift idea. I trust you won't mind if I borrow it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

That's a brilliant shower gift idea. I trust you won't mind if I borrow it.

Mind? Why, I'm flattered!

I usually went with the Spice Islands Cookbook for the basket because it's smaller, and looks so pretty with all of the herbs and spices arranged attractively around.

I gave it, not only for wedding/shower gifts, but also to neices, nephews, friends's children, etc., that were headed off to college, or to their first apartment, or something like that.

It always went over really well. For one thing, those herbs and spices are expensive, and can be quite a shock the first time you head to the market to stock up your spice rack. Especially if you're a neophyte at the cooking and seasoning game and have no idea what to buy.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'd love a good recommendation here too. Has anyone heard of a book that contains recommended measurements for spices? Obviously things vary a lot but it'd be fantastic to have a starting point for recipes with less familiar flavor profiles. Just something like "X is commonly used 2:1 with Y", or "10g of Z per chicken breast". I suspect I'm looking for something that's not entirely possible, but that doesn't mean I can't dream...

I just bought this one, it's very good on the spices themselves, I don't know about the recipes yet. Published in 1969, excellent illustrations.

The Book of Spices

Frederick Rosengarten, Jr.

This one is out now, very beautiful and the recipes look good, well-chosen. It comes in for some criticism on Amazon but it doesn't seem as if anyone has actually cooked from it:

The Spice Bible

Jane Lawson

Thanks for the tip on The Spice Cookbook, Jaymes. Looks good, I'm getting one.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• Similar Content

• By Paul Fink
      This unfortunately titled book changed my life. I always enjoyed cooking and idealized Julia Child &
      Jacque Pepin. But I was a typical home cook. I would see a recipe and try to duplicate it little understanding about what I was doing.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America talked about a philosophy of cooking. It showed me that there is more depth to cooking. A history. A philosophy.
      The recipes are very approachable and you can make them on a budget from grocery store ingredients. I read it as a grad student in Oregon, in the late 80's I had access to lots of fresh ingredients. And some very nice wines, cheap! I was suppose to be studying physics but I end up learning more about wine & cooking.
    • By Smokeydoke
      Here is the discussion thread.
      Here is the Amazon link.
      My first recipe was Mushroom Mapo Tofu p. 132  I was blown away by how good this tasted. Very spicy! Very authentic. I didn't miss the meat at all. I told Mr. Smokey I'd add ground pork next time and he said it didn't need it. Mr. Smokey refused pork? Ha!
      Definitely a keeper and maybe a regular rotation spot.
      If I had anything negative to say, it would be the dish wasn't very filling. The recipe is suppose to serve four but the two of us finished it off, no problem, and Mister wasn't full afterwards. A soup, or an appetizer could be paired with the dish to make a heartier meal.
      Note: I did receive a complimentary copy of the book to review, but all opinions of the book and recipes are mine.

• By chromedome
      I'm posting it here on the grounds that national Food Guides are, by their nature, intended to be used as references. 

Many of you will have read today's news stories about the proposed changes to Canada's food guidelines. All of the stories I read mentioned that Health Canada was soliciting input from the general public, as well as health/food industry professionals. None of them, alas, actually gave a link to the "consultation" page at Health Canada's website. For those who wish to weigh in, here it is:

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/health-system-systeme-sante/consultations/foodguide-guidealimentaire/index-eng.php
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Started in on Rob's book tonight.  Nice pictures, interesting philosophy.  The bit about grapevines reminded me ever so much about my balcony.  My grapevine has been growing ten or twenty years, planted by the birds.  Never a grape, ever.  Only recently did I learn that unlike European grapes, the native grapevines are sexual.  This one is undoubtedly a boy.  He provides lovely leaves and shade, and something for the tomatoes to hang onto.

• By Bon Appetit Cookbooks
      This topic was hijacked from the Vancouver Board.
      What cookbooks do you love to cook out of at home?
      Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite?
      Or is there a book you just can't live without?
      If you have pictures, even better! Lets see how it turns out!
      Some of my favorites to cook out of:
      The Balthazar Cookbook - The Beef Tartar is amazing! As is the Chicken Liver Mousse
      The Babbo Cookbook - The Strawberries & Peaches with Balsamic Zabaglione
      Barefoot in Paris - The Blue Cheese Souffle looks JUST LIKE THE PICTURE!
      The Bouchon Cookbook - The Roast Chicken will seriously change your life
      Gordon Ramsey Makes it Easy - The Chocolate Pots are the easiest dessert in the world and tastes so good....especially with the Amedei #7
      There are lots more. Hopefully I can take pictures and show you.
      Hopefully this post can be an ongoing thing.
      I think we are all interested in what eachother cooks!
      Happy Cooking

J