• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious flaws in the Google restaurant rating system

Jason Perlow

So, this happened.

Last month the Google rating of Feast suddenly plummeted to three stars, thanks to a series of 13 one-star customer reviews. Upon investigation, it became apparent that all 13 of them were written by irate Google Glass aficionados, furious that the restaurant had deigned to ask one woman to remove her Google Glass. According to management, customers had expressed privacy concerns over the device in the past, so when Glass-wearer Katy Kasmai walked in last month, she was politely asked to remove it. Instead she walked out, and then wrote a post about it on Google+, which in turn spurred 12 of her Glass-loving followers (many of who do not even live in NYC) to write reviews like "Luddites can't serve good food," and "Ignorant bigots and hateful. Perhaps being illegally discriminate too."

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2014/05/google_glass_1.php

Do you think that asking someone to remove a Google Glass is "terrible service"?

ETA that Feast, the restaurant in question, has pointed to this incident as an example of a flaw in Google's online rating system; hence why I've posted this here.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

So, this happened.

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2014/05/google_glass_1.php

Do you think that asking someone to remove a Google Glass is "terrible service"?

ETA that Feast, the restaurant in question, has pointed to this incident as an example of a flaw in Google's online rating system; hence why I've posted this here.

No, I applaud any restaurant or barkeep or similar person-in-charge to request (strongly, if needed) intending patrons to remove their Googleglass.

BTW, my post above referred to exactly what you post about  :wink: but I assume you are just elaborating upon it.  :smile: