• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free Freezer Bags

dcarch

Many of you have food vacuum machines. I am sharing with you on how to vacuum seal food for freezing for free.

While you can save money buying food on sale, but the freezer bags such as Foodsaver bags are not cheap. So you can re-use them by cutting them shorter and shorter, but the time in washing them, drying them and store them each time is a pain.

The video is self-explanatory. Feel free to ask questions if there is anything not clear.

I hope you will find this method useful.

BTW, I have searched the Internet and have not found anything similar. If you have, please let me know so that I don’t take credit for having invented this. Thanks.

Dcarch

Video:

At the minimum it sounds like a good idea for relatively short term storage where your main concern is evaporation of water vapor causing freezer burn. Longer term and for some foods I don't understand how this could work since produce bags are polyethylene and polyethelyne is oxygen permeable. Is there some special bag you're using because otherwise it doesn't seem like your actually blocking the oxygen?

Even if it is not really a replacement for things you wish to store for a year it sounds excellent as a way to not waste food saver bags on something you're only going to store for a couple of months and mainly want to avoid freezer burn.

Cool, dcarch!

I've done essentially the same thing, but with Ziploc® freezer bags or Glad® Press‘n Seal® wrap.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Do you have a ready source for the bags (other than stealing a few extras from the produce department every time you shop)?

Just reuse the ones come with the fruits and veggies when you shop. Save the gasoline not having to return them to the stores. They are not dirty and you are going to cook the food anyway from the freezer.

Or buy them on eBay or Amazon.

dcarch

Do you have a ready source for the bags (other than stealing a few extras from the produce department every time you shop)?

Just reuse the ones come with the fruits and veggies when you shop. Save the gasoline not having to return them to the stores. They are not dirty and you are going to cook the food anyway from the freezer.

dcarch

The bag in the video appeared to be new and unused.

Which means only one thing: You steal produce bags :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

dcarch

The bag in the video appeared to be new and unused.

Which means only one thing: You steal produce bags :laugh:

Now you have done it! :angry:

Just for that, I am not going to show you how I can convert Diet Coke into 2005 Chateau Petrus in three easy steps.

dcarch :laugh:

One more thing, I forgot: Labeling the bags is easy, and can be done the following ways:

1. For labels to go inside the bags, you can use aluminum foil and a Sharpie/marker to label.

2. For labels to go inside the bags, you can use Sharpie/marker to write on wax paper.

3. Or my preferred way is to print out adhesive labels to go on the outside of the bags. Very convenient. You can color code the years, so at a glance, you can immediately find the very old packages. Similarly, you can color code the kinds of meat.

dcarch

FOODSAVERBAGS_zps619c545e.jpg