• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

17 days

Last week my wife visited her oncologist for her six month checkup. She recieved very good news that all is well and she is doing fine.

However, the doctor recommended that she loose a little weight so at our house we have now embarked on the 17 Day Diet.

I can certainly stand to lose some as well so I am on the trip.

I am now on day 6 and I am just screaming for some carbs. It has been six days since I had any bread and that may be the longest since I started taking solid food I have gone. I love bread, I adore bread, I bake bread.

I know it will make me lose weight. I have lost 8 lbs already.

But I want bread!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how those cravings go away after a couple weeks. I started a lower carb diet a few weeks ago, something approximating the paleo diet though not strictly, and for the first while I had carb cravings so bad they physically hurt. I was constantly short tempered, had difficulty sleeping and was probably difficult to be around. Then one day after a couple weeks all that disappeared. I feel great now and have more energy. Even if it doesn't result in much weight loss it was worth it just to get control over my food cravings. Even though I allow myself small amounts of bread now, I have far more control over myself and make better decisions when I walk down the isles of the grocery store.

So if you're a bread baker, make a 100% whole grain loaf studded with lots of nuts (ie, protein). It will be a high-fiber, lowered carb "treat". Knead it by hand to expend some calories, enjoy a slice or two, and stick the rest in the freezer for future cravings. I'm not a big fan of complete denial. Exercise is the key--not skipping wonderful breads. I'd rather bust a** at the gym and eat brioche.

If you do give in and eat bread, why not eat a higher-in-fiber bread? Orowheat makes a double fiber bread (click) where one serving provides 48% of a day's suggested amount of fiber...more bang for the buck, so to speak :cool::laugh: .

The problem with most carbs is they lack fiber so they spend more time in our digestive track, spiking our blood sugar. However, if there is fiber with the carbs, the food will move through our digestive system quicker so there should be less of a spike.

Let us know how your 17 day diet goes...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver