• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An oven with accurate temp control

Ader1

Presently, I have a gas oven at home and an old Rayburn type oven/hot-plate oven. Neither of them give me accurate temperature control. I often see recipes which require oven cooking for a certain amount of time at a certain temperature. I don't feel like I'm able to really cook these with the setup that I have. Could some of you good people on here give me suggestions of ovens which I might buy for home cooking and for being able to accurately control temperatures and time too would be a bonus? Thanks.

The only way to get an accurate reading of what the temperature in a home oven is is with a thermometer. I actually have two in my Bosch range, and in different parts of the oven they are off by about 25℉.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The only way to get an accurate reading of what the temperature in a home oven is is with a thermometer. I actually have two in my Bosch range, and in different parts of the oven they are off by about 25℉.

So you have to open your oven to find out the temperature? And in doing so, lowering the temperature and leaving what it says on the thermometer meaningless. Or are you somehow able to read the thermometers without opening the range? I'm sorry if I seem ignorant about this issue.

Currently it is not possible to make an oven with good temperature control. Too many variables involved.

I suppose a convection oven will be better.

You can check oven temperature better by placing cups of water (oil, if you are checking high temperature) in various locations for about 30 minutes, then measure each cup.

dcarch

My range actually has a window so I can almost read the thermometer through that window.

I also have a pizza stone in the bottom of the oven - once it's heated properly (45 min - 1 hour), the loss in temperature from opening the door and closing it quickly is minimal. Also, once you understand the thermodynamics of your oven, you shouldn't need to open the door to check the temperature very frequently.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Weinoo,

Would you be able to tell me what type of range do you have?

dcarch,

Thanks for that tip about placing water or oil in cups in the oven.

Maybe I should now ask 'What oven should I buy then'?

Weinoo,

Would you be able to tell me what type of range do you have?

I have a Bosch gas range with full convection - probably a good 6 years old. Similar to this.

And this brings me to ask, "What's a good oven thermometer?" It would be great if I could find one with a large, readable dial.

The oven thermometer that I like is clear so it gets lit up from the oven light behind it. But they all get filthy and unreadable pretty damn quickly.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I have a crappy, late 90s Amana gas range purchased from Sears. The thermostat is reasonably accurate, and the heat is fairly even. I'm not sure why you can't control the temps in your gas oven...are the controls broken? A metal thermometer with large-face dial can sit on the oven rack and is easily visible thru the window, if you have doubts about your internal oven thermostat. Shouldn't cost more than $20.

Also, most oven thermostats are adjustable--if your oven's has gone off, you can fix it. The thermostat can be calibrated, and it can also be replaced.

You really don't need to know the temp of your oven, you just need to be able to cook in it.

Not quite true.

Have you tried to cook a pizza at 325℉?

Frittata at 450℉?

But - I understand your point.

Tasty Travails - My Blog