• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

Best thing at TJ's? The bag lottery. Which Ive just won!

:laugh:

Congratulations! I keep bringing my bags back but haven't had any luck on the drawing, yet.

I tried a new flavor of the Cookie Thins...Toasted Coconut. They have Triple Ginger Thins and Meyer Lemon Thins so the Toasted Coconut was new to me.

It reminded me a lot of the flavor in a coconut macaroon. Except quite crisp, of course.

I have a recipe for pineapple cream pie and I'm thinking a Toasted Coconut Thins crust (like a graham cracker crust) would go rather well with it.

The cookie gets a thumbs up from me.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine anyone hating on TJ. It may be getting so lauded by shoppers that it's becoming passé, but they really do have great stuff.

I think they do put a huge emphasis on the 'healthy' aspect of shopping, and not all of their products are necessarily any better for you. Although this isn't a reason to hate, as most people read labels anyway.

They are also pretty good on price. Yes, you pay a little more for organic and all that jazz, but they are absolutely not inflated prices and you would probably be charged more for organic food at your local grocery chain.

You may have a problem with their selection which is completely understandable. I'm also not sure about the "Trader Jose" beer. Sounds pretty weak.

• Like 1

The last Frequent Flyer (their newsletter) had a few interesting items and the Kung Pao chicken caught my eye because I get a craving every once in a while and have no interest in making it just for myself. There is a restaurant about 20 minutes away that makes a great version in their lunch specials but I hate wasting the soup and egg roll that are not worth it plus the drive factor. They were sampling it today at TJ and I bought. The pack serves four generously. It is a kit you make from frozen. You saute the chicken in a tsp of oil, then add the vegetables, then the sauce and lastly the peanuts. Lots of nice dried chiles. Good flavor. This is the first time I have seen poorly written directions from them. Bad translator? For example they do not tell you clearly to cover after adding the sauce. The pack is $4.99. Not bad for 4 generous servings that just need rice and some more veg or salad to round out.

• Like 1

Ooooh boy, I've got a flop to report. I love the TJ pound-plus chocolate bars, so I was excited when I saw their natural cocoa powder for a really great price. I used it tonight for the first time... I typically use Ghiradelli cocoa powder, and when I opened the TJ's I immediately noticed how much lighter it was in color than the Ghiradelli... But I forged ahead with my usual chocolate bundt cake recipe and made... Something that to me is unservable. You would barely know it was chocolate cake if not for the dark color. Argh.

Ooooh boy, I've got a flop to report. I love the TJ pound-plus chocolate bars, so I was excited when I saw their natural cocoa powder for a really great price. I used it tonight for the first time... I typically use Ghiradelli cocoa powder, and when I opened the TJ's I immediately noticed how much lighter it was in color than the Ghiradelli... But I forged ahead with my usual chocolate bundt cake recipe and made... Something that to me is unservable. You would barely know it was chocolate cake if not for the dark color. Argh.

I'm pretty sure their "natural" cocoa is not "Dutched" - The Dutching process changes the character of the cocoa, enhancing the flavor, in my opinion. I don't use anything except Dutch process cocoa for regular baking and cooking.

I do keep some on hand for "flouring" pans in which I will bake chocolate cakes and for coating truffles as I want less flavor in those applications.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm not a big TJ fan but have recently become addicted to the chicken tamallitos.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I'm currently in the process of trying to improve what I eat, and I simply cannot justify shopping at Whole Foods.

Trader Joe's is good for buying a-little-better-versions-of-the-crap-you-used-to-eat food. I'm a little more health conscious but Whole Foods makes me feel like they are punishing or taking advantage of me for trying to be healthy.

No thanks.

Edited by Jane Randahl (log)

On another note.

Salmon Burger Wholefoods 7.99

Salmon Burger TJ 5.99

Both are wild caught in the US (Alaskan) however TJ shipps theirs to Thailand for processing and then back to US for eating.

Not that it matters for quality since we are talking about frozen products going in and coming out but .....

That made me think ....

On another note.

Salmon Burger Wholefoods 7.99

Salmon Burger TJ 5.99

Both are wild caught in the US (Alaskan) however TJ shipps theirs to Thailand for processing and then back to US for eating.

Not that it matters for quality since we are talking about frozen products going in and coming out but .....

That made me think ....

Think about what? And have you reached any conclusion?

Where does WF process their patties?

... Shel

I've rarely used canned chilies, so I'm not a canned chili maven, however, of all that I have tried, TJ's is the most satisfactory. Quality seems to be good, the chilies are from Hatch Valley, which is supposed to be a well-known and respected area for growing chilies, and the price is excellent. If you use canned chilies, try 'em. At the very least, they're a very good value.

... Shel

I've rarely used canned chilies, so I'm not a canned chili maven, however, of all that I have tried, TJ's is the most satisfactory. Quality seems to be good, the chilies are from Hatch Valley, which is supposed to be a well-known and respected area for growing chilies, and the price is excellent. If you use canned chilies, try 'em. At the very least, they're a very good value.

How is the heat level of those peppers. I used to have access to canned chilis that were medium or hot but now all of my groceries only have mild.

I've rarely used canned chilies, so I'm not a canned chili maven, however, of all that I have tried, TJ's is the most satisfactory.

How is the heat level of those peppers. I used to have access to canned chilis that were medium or hot but now all of my groceries only have mild.

I consider them to be mild, however, Toots feels that they are closer to medium. In any case, I use them more for flavor than for heat.

... Shel

Anyone else experiencing a chocolate chip shortage at their TJ's?

"At the Neighborhood Trader Joe's, a Run on Chocolate Chips"

Looking in her cupboard last week, Shulamis Labkowski got a morsel of unwelcome news.

The mother of three from Oakland, Calif., inspected three bags of Trader Joe's semisweet chocolate chips, a staple in her kosher kitchen. They were alike in all ways but one: Two of them had a small D on the label, meaning they were classified as dairy under Jewish dietary laws.

Mrs. Labkowski bought 40 packets when she heard about the switch.

The changed label was tough to swallow. Kosher law forbids mixing meat and dairy at any time, but Trader Joe's chips used to be deemed "pareve," meaning they could be eaten with either meat or dairy meals. An avid baker, Mrs. Labkowski tore through five to seven bags a week to make treats without worrying about running afoul of the rules.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cookie Butter. I think Biscoff is better. Smoother. Cookie Butter has a slightly gritty texture.

haha--this may be the ol' creamy vs crunchy peanut butter preference thing--i love the little crunchy bits in the tj cookie butter. (and i used to carry biscoff home in my suitcase, before tj copied it!) so, one vote for crunchy here.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I'm not a big TJ fan but have recently become addicted to the chicken tamallitos.

I saw them described in the Flyer and your passion made me give them a try.. Just had a few steamed for lunch along with tomato slices, a chipotle and a green salsa and guacamole. A nice satisfying little meal. My only issue is the wrapper. They use a paper product with fake striations to mimic corn husk. Unfortunately it seals in the moisture a bit too much and the tamale is a touch too wet. I suppose in a microwave that would not be as much of an issue but I really prefer steaming as it seems to fluff up the masa.

I like their walnuts chopped especially for baking. They are just the right size and are a big time saver.

I also like their produce. I get their organic bagged spinach for $1.99/10 oz bag which is much cheaper, ounce per ounce, than most of the other stores in my area.

Trader Joe's has a nice selection of dried fruits which I use for baking too.

All in all, Every time I go, I walk out of that store with several bags for under $15.

There customer service is excellent too.