• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

my TJ's in MA. has only so many 'booze' certificates // organization  based on some kind of stupid law, which benefits  various cousins, etc of the you know what's that run

the state.

TJ's makes 1/2 of its sales  here on wine, decently discounted.

i have no problem with that, after all, M.R. my way used to be 3.99 now moved up to 4.49

from Chile  '  TJ's brand '

I can't complain

and Tj's and any other merchant  pays at least $ 1 a bottle to those cousins and do nothing but collect

Im not making this up

2 buck chuck, yuck as it is, is 3 bucks here for the same yuck in CA for  well 2 bucks.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

here in MA  they only sell wine and only in 4 places

rotuts, my regular TJ at Coolidge Corner in Brookline sells liquor in addition to beer and wine.

I don't buy hard liquor often enough to be knowlegeable, and some of it seems to be house brands. They appear to have a little bit of everything. I've bought some cognac for cooking (and occasional nip) and was pleased with the quality for the price.

Not sure it's worth a special trip, but if you're already there....

bummer   I wonder why.  MA has such arcane booze laws.  first  no booze on sunday.  then the BoozeMerchants near NH complained they were loosing business.

so then, OK  50 miles S of NH at noon on sunday.  more complaints S 0f the 50 mile line.  so OK noon sunday.   more complaints.  now 10 AM sunday.

and we pay these nuts that make these laws money ?

Ill have to remember to ask in Framingham.  thanks for the tip.

in CA TJ's from time to time had some very excellent liqueurs  from FR that were knock off of more famous stuff and very good.  they had one very close to

GrandMariner that was 1/4 the cost.  pointed out to me by the TJ's cashier when I was about to get the real stuff.  they had a huge amount and it lasted less than a

week.  single purchase.

I drink very little to none of the hard booze.  but I like to look.

I have tried a few more things. The freeze dried berries are good but I would not buy them there again as I can buy them here. We really liked the mustard and prefer it to our usual Maille brand so will bring back some more. The Thai sauce was good, we had it last night with fish. The coffee was so sweet it made my teeth ache so I threw it out. I should have looked more closely at the label. Finally, I did not think the apricots were anything special and they were pretty mangled. Did I get the wrong ones? Apricots came recommended on this thread and TJs had several different ones so maybe I picked the wrong ones up?

There isn't a lot left to try from my little shopping expedition. We have left bruschetta, garlic mustard aioli sauce, crystallized ginger and some Chcken Korean Kalbi sausages that I picked up because they looked interesting. We are going back down there next week and will stop at TJ's again on the way home. Mainly, I plan to replenish the items we really liked and look for a few things that were not there the first time. I also noted a few people had some cheese suggestions and I will be jotting them down for reference as well.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

image.jpg

• Like 2

I have tried a few more things. The freeze dried berries are good but I would not buy them there again as I can buy them here. We really liked the mustard and prefer it to our usual Maille brand so will bring back some more. The Thai sauce was good, we had it last night with fish. The coffee was so sweet it made my teeth ache so I threw it out. I should have looked more closely at the label. Finally, I did not think the apricots were anything special and they were pretty mangled. Did I get the wrong ones? Apricots came recommended on this thread and TJs had several different ones so maybe I picked the wrong ones up?

There isn't a lot left to try from my little shopping expedition. We have left bruschetta, garlic mustard aioli sauce, crystallized ginger and some Chcken Korean Kalbi sausages that I picked up because they looked interesting. We are going back down there next week and will stop at TJ's again on the way home. Mainly, I plan to replenish the items we really liked and look for a few things that were not there the first time. I also noted a few people had some cheese suggestions and I will be jotting them down for reference as well.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Too bad you threw the mocha cappuccino out.   This stuff is very good when ADDED to a cup of regular coffee - especially the dark roasts.

It is also great for FLAVORING homemade ice cream = about 2 heaping tablespoons to a quart of basic ice cream mix and you can reduce the sugar in the ice cream recipe.

I've also used it for frozen yogurt.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

GlorifiedRice,

What were the ingredients of TJ's maple water and how much did it cost; where did you find it in the store?

It sounds pathetic and expensive if your aim is to make maple syrup, but for someone like me who has very fond memories of stealing ice-cold and very lightly sweet maple sap out of buckets under the taps, this might be a good product.

> ^ . . ^ <

GlorifiedRice,

What were the ingredients of TJ's maple water and how much did it cost; where did you find it in the store?

It sounds pathetic and expensive if your aim is to make maple syrup, but for someone like me who has very fond memories of stealing ice-cold and very lightly sweet maple sap out of buckets under the taps, this might be a good product.

The ingredients were JUST SAP.. I think it was 1 or 2 dollars for a quart

Heres what it looks like

RrWFwwX.gif

Someone developed a new way of tapping Maple Trees that consists of young saplings and NOT well established trees and needs no hard freeze time, so I think thats where this

Maple Water is coming from.

Heres the info http://modernfarmer.com/2014/01/maple-syrup-revolution/

Host's note: the Trader Joe's topic continues here

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 2

Wawa Sizzli FTW!