• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

Y'all are spoiled....closest Trader Joe's here is about 100 miles away!  :wink:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd have to travel to Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse...unfortunately, I don't get to any of them much anymore.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This time their organic chicken broth tops my list. It got high marks on another site. And I try never to forget a few packages of their crystallized ginger which I eat like candy.

... Shel

It's not very good. Local, published tastings give it low marks, and neither I nor my friends use it.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for your input but since others are at odds with your opinion I shall have to try it for myself.

You should try it for yourself even if everyone agreed with me ...

... Shel

I just found this "Fireworks" bar while shopping today, and happened to have a Chuao firecracker bar for comparison. Same ingredients, tastes exactly the same. These bars were $1.99, while I've seen the Chuao retail around $6.image.jpg

Sorry for the upside down pic!

image.jpg

Edited by patti_h (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Trader Joe's Frozen Pitted Dark Sweet Cherries:  I've not seen these before, and have been looking for such an item for a while.  A few days ago I found some at Whole Foods - they were a little more expensive than the TJ's product, and from the standpoint of taste, I found them to be comparable.  At the local store, the TJ's cherries are $3.69 for a 1-lb package.  By comparison, the Whole Foods brand was $3.99.

TJ's Frozen Dark Sweet Cherries.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Normally I enjoy most TJ's products, but recently I bought some of their whole wheat naan (a product I used to love), and was thoroughly disappointed.  The bread was dry and bland, whereas it used to be moist and flavorful.  Would not recommend.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tj's sampled these this morning, will little pancakes ( made right there ) and real maple syrup :

http://traderjoes.com/digin/post/maple-chicken-breakfast-sausage

i like them.  good flavor and 'spice'

4 gms fat for two links.  precooked  just brown

did not get any, working on the Jones I have in the freezer first

but Ill get these sometime when the Jones is gone.

• Like 1

These are new to me, saw them in the spice section today - Trader Joe's The Spice Route. About $6 to $7 for the 4, I think. It's in the pics, but if it's hard to see, the 4 spices are Sumac as well as Zhoug, Ras el Hanout and Pilpelchuma spice blends. 

IMGP3911.JPG

IMGP3913.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

Trader Joe's Organic Valencia Peanut Butter - Salt Free

TJ's Peanut Butter.jpg

Oh, my! This is bad!  First, allow me to address the salt issue.  I usually buy unsalted, fresh ground peanut butter from one of three sources, and I don't mind, in fact, I prefer, salt-free peanut butter.  But for some reason, this p'butter was very bland and lacking in peanut flavor.  Maybe this nut butter, for some reason, needs salt.

The contents were oily, even after draining the oil that typically floats to the top on these natural peanut butters.  When I mixed the peanut butter there was very little resistance to the spoon - very little!  I've never encountered anything quite like it.

Keeping the p'butter in the fridge didn't firm it up, as is usually the case.  It spread almost like a thick milkshake, and, in fact, peanut butter dripped from the bread.

As for crunchy, well, there was a dearth of crunchy in this jar.  I could easily count the peanut pieces on the bread or in each spoonful.

If you like thin, bland, and insipid peanut butter, this one's for you.  I'll go back to my regular sources the next time I want peanut butter.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

There are a few things for which we use Velveeta - Ro-Tel dip, Mac & Cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, sauce for veggies like broccoli & cauliflower.

During the last fall-football-TV viewing season, the several times I tried to make Ro-Tel dip, the Velveeta simply did not melt properly.  It just disintegrated into a lumpy, disgusting, gagging mess.  As has been discussed over in the Velveeta thread, turns out that Velveeta has changed the formula using, among other things, less dairy - ie, real cheese.  Sure a long way from the days when Velveeta's ad jingle was, "Colby, Swiss and Cheddar, blended all together."

Now it's awful.  I realize that even at its best, Velveeta was pretty far down the fine-cheese ladder but what it was good at, it was really good at.  And I miss it.

So I've done some online research and discovered a few things; i.e., other folks were having the same problem, they had suggestions for substitutions, "Clancy's Cheese Melt" is a fine substitution as it is made with a close approximation of the Velveeta formula before the unpleasant changes, and Clancy's Cheese Melt is available at Trader Joe's, and at Aldi's.

Which is another thing I've just discovered.

Aldi's and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company.

Who knew?

• Like 5

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried a new Trader Joe product...Baconesque White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn. It's pre-popped popcorn dusted with white cheddar cheese powder with a hint of bacon-flavor. It's not too bad. It is salty, though, so it's a great snack as long as you don't eat too much of it in one sitting.

"Mmmm...bacon" [/Homer Simpson]  :laugh:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

They were sampling the new vegan Tikka Masala with cumin rice yesterday. I had other errands so did not purchase, but it was well seasoned and the soy nuggets had a firm enjoyable texture.

Soooooooooooo

any one tried the High Arsenic

2 - 3 buck chuck ?

I think you can only get that tingling with the Shaw's  White Zin

I cant say my self

its good to hear legal extortion is a live a well on the lower

take that Supremes !

BTW  the 5 or so """plaintiffs"""  were not injured in any way.

as Mr. Potato Head  ( nice saute'd ) said in Toy Story :

Money Money Money.

at least potatoes can be baked and saute'd

Edited by rotuts (log)

Soooooooooooo

any one tried the High Arsenic

2 - 3 buck chuck ?

I think you can only get that tingling with the Shaw's White Zin

I cant say my self

its good to hear legal extortion is a live a well on the lower

take that Supremes !

BTW the 5 or so """plaintiffs""" were not injured in any way.

as Mr. Potato Head ( nice saute'd ) said in Toy Story :

Money Money Money.

at least potatoes can be baked and saute'd

Of course you could move to Ontario where our wine is allowed to have at least twice as much arsenic and still be considered safe. We Canucks apparently like to live dangerously.

Edited to add this link

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2015/03/scaremongers-spark-fear-over-arsenic-in-wine

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Excellent.  I understand there are really Good Lunches around !

and well  cold and snow !

( cant say this year was so good Down Under )

and Beer and Hockey !

what's not to like ? 

PS  I forgot  :  You also have  " Strange Brew "

that does date me !

and of course the cincher :  " Corner Gas "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

or a few M.R.'s

oddly, still 'good' after the xx's time

sadly, as far as I can recall, The Ruby's has yet to do Turkey Croquettes w home made Mashed P's

:sad:

I have them all on HD !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2