• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

Perhaps- but if you lived in small town Iowa as I do, you would fall to your knees and thank the Tamale Gods for giving them to you. The only other choice being Hormel ones in a can.  Yup, those really exist.

If you like them great but I just voiced my opinion about the quality of them. I also tend to avoid items completely if I can't get them in sufficient quality. To be honest I never understand to settle for the lowest quality just to satisfy a craving if this quality would normally not good enough if mote options are available.

Thanks, LindaK. I headed down to Greenville SC today and picked up a couple of those nut oil trio boxes. I am not sure I would have even noticed them without your post and picture - as the display was not large, front and center.

My husband buys the frozen tamales, and saw the refrigerated ones last shopping trip so picked the. Up. He really liked them, so we will probably stock up on the next shopping trip.

Bought the frozen Mac and Cheese bites, baked in the cuisi-steam oven, little guy loved them as an after school snack! He also loves the cookie butter ice cream.

I don't think I mentioned this- I had never returned anything to Trader Joes until recently- I bought some chicken sausages and I thought they were vile. The taste and the texture. I decided for something that made me feel sick the rest of the day, I was getting my money back!

after finishing the container of salted caramel gelato, I'll give it thumbs up. Not really "true" gelato since it has egg yolks, but it kept quite well in the freezer for 2 weeks as I worked my way through it. Unlike other TJ's products, I agree with the stated 8 servings per container.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Giant Peruvian Inca Corn (described here: http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2014/11/trader-joes-giant-peruvian-inca-corn.html) these are like crack. Very Frito-esque.

I found those the last time I was at TJ's - crack is right!  They didn't make it home.  

• Like 2

I found those the last time I was at TJ's - crack is right!  They didn't make it home.  

My bag made it home...but then again I live closer to my TJ's store than Kerry does to hers. I will not tell you how long they lasted once they got home, though!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

TJ's Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons ... mmm! Good!  Subtle cilantro taste, not too many calories, ideal for quick soups.  I use some wontons, favorite boxed stock, some greens, a little garlic and ginger, and voila! A quick and satisfying lunch.

mini wontons.jpg

... Shel

went to my Local today to do a bit of stocking up.

the refig. tamales were still there so I got a few for the Fereezer.

and i needed a decent ReStock of the Pre M.R.

and then they had these in a shopping cart next to the Admiral's Bridge :

TJ Cookies.jpg

they were a Holiday Gift.

:biggrin:

If I take them back, ( i wont  I love shortbread and cranberries )

do you suppose I can pick a different Gift ?

something a bit more Fluid, w a Cork for further studies ?

:laugh:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

TJ's has Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee for sale at $20 a canister. That's a better price than I've seen elsewhere, but I made some up today (Hario V60 style) and I wasn't blown away. I don't think I've had this kind of coffee since I started to appreciate subtlety and nuance in good coffee, but it just seemed a bit thin and wanting, which is surprising, given that every other single-origin (or nearly) coffee I've tried has a lot of character. Is that normal?

JBM coffee, the real stuff is very very hard to get, if not impossible.

if this is coffee from Jamaica, the blue mountain, it might be what they call " high mountain "

but i have no actually information about this coffee, but have looked into Blue Mountain in the past

for that $$ take it back.

It does say "grown exclusively in Jamaica's Blue Mountains at a height of 4500 feet" 

It's not awful. I'll try a French press and see how that is. As for returns, I know it's a no-questions-asked policy, but do I need the receipt?

TJ's has Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee for sale at $20 a canister. That's a better price than I've seen elsewhere, but I made some up today (Hario V60 style) and I wasn't blown away. I don't think I've had this kind of coffee since I started to appreciate subtlety and nuance in good coffee, but it just seemed a bit thin and wanting, which is surprising, given that every other single-origin (or nearly) coffee I've tried has a lot of character. Is that normal?

... Shel

all you need is the container or wrapper.

JBM's claim to fame is that its a 'complete' coffee, ie can't be improved by blending. Officiionados suggest this.

think Moka-Java, is a blend of Yemeni Moka and Java estate as these two 'types' of coffee when blended yield a cup that's greater

than the sum of the two parts.

and again, its what you like that counts.

TJ's Organic Sriracha & Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce:  I saw this for the first time this morning and decided to give it a try.  I often add garlic, hot pepper flakes or sauce, and other ingredients to prepared BBQ sauce, so this seemed like a reasonable purchase.  When I taste it, I'll post my comments.  If someone has already tried it, let's hear from you ....

TJ BBQ Sauce.jpg

... Shel

Recently I came across Trader Joe's Honey Sampler on the shelf at the local TJ's.  The sampler contains some of my favorite honeys .... Tupelo, Acacia, and Orange Blossom.

TJ's Honey Sampler.jpg

• Like 1

... Shel

TJ's Organic Sriracha & Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce:  I saw this for the first time this morning and decided to give it a try.  I often add garlic, hot pepper flakes or sauce, and other ingredients to prepared BBQ sauce, so this seemed like a reasonable purchase.  When I taste it, I'll post my comments.  If someone has already tried it, let's hear from you ....

attachicon.gifTJ BBQ Sauce.jpg

... Shel

Trader Joe's Uncured Sweet Sriracha Bacon Jerky  Judy, my personal shopper, put me on to this new item today, and she swears it is deeeelish!  I've not tried it yet, but you can.

TJ's Uncured Sweet Sriracha Bacon Jerky.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Y'all are spoiled....closest Trader Joe's here is about 100 miles away!  :wink:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!