• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

The more I visit our new TJ, the more I like it. One thing I've noticed is that the fresh produce always looks really fresh. In our conventional supermarkets, veggies often look like they're a day away from the dumpster.

A product I really liked this week is the frozen Mojito Salmon. Plenty of fish for two meals, if served on rice or pasta. And I don't think you could get that much fresh salmon at a lower cost.

I've also been enjoying their refrigerated wraps, like the Vietnamese chicken salad. One wrap makes two lunches at about $2/lunch.

If I have to say one negative thing about my new love, it's that I can't get too excited about the cold cereals. Haven't found any yet that seem especially good, but have only tried 4 or 5 of them.

I eat Joe's O's.  they are fine by me.  as long as I eat them up before they absorb the humidity that's right around the corner.

there is a wrap I 'sneek' into the shopping bag once and a while:

I its called the Turkey BLT. You have to like Turkey, BTW.

I also like their filled pasta ( raviioli-like ) in the refrigerator section.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I eat Joe's O's.  they are fine by me.  as long as I eat them up before they absorb the humidity that's right around the corner.

Our solution to this, as well as all other cereals, is a clothespin. When you open the bag inside the box, do so carefully (using scissors if need be). Then, after you pour out what you need each time, push the air out of the bag, fold the top two corners in, roll the top down a couple of times, and secure with a clothespin. For us, anyway, this keeps the cereal crispy long past the amount of time a box of cereal SHOULD last in our house. This even works for things with a sugar coating on the outside like Corn Pops, which otherwise become sticky and not worth eating in a couple of summer days.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Our solution to this, as well as all other cereals, is a clothespin. When you open the bag inside the box, do so carefully (using scissors if need be). Then, after you pour out what you need each time, push the air out of the bag, fold the top two corners in, roll the top down a couple of times, and secure with a clothespin. For us, anyway, this keeps the cereal crispy long past the amount of time a box of cereal SHOULD last in our house. This even works for things with a sugar coating on the outside like Corn Pops, which otherwise become sticky and not worth eating in a couple of summer days.

Toots does something similar, but since she often doesn't keep the boxes, she packages the O's (which remain in their original bag, sealed as you describe, except using a bag clip or a couple of rubber bands) and puts that into a Ziploc freezer bag 

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/PublishingImages/Large%20Images/Zip_SmartZip_Gallon15_306x198.png

squeezing out as much air as possible, folds it over on itself, sometimes more than once, and then uses a wide bag clip to secure.  Works like a charm.  Even after a month the O's remain pretty fresh, and I'm fussy about eating "soggy" cereal.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 2

... Shel

Toots does something similar, but since she often doesn't keep the boxes, she packages the O's (which remain in their original bag, sealed as you describe, except using a bag clip or a couple of rubber bands) and puts that into a Ziploc freezer bag 

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/PublishingImages/Large%20Images/Zip_SmartZip_Gallon15_306x198.png

squeezing out as much air as possible, folds it over on itself, sometimes more than once, and then uses a wide bag clip to secure.  Works like a charm.  Even after a month the O's remain pretty fresh, and I'm fussy about eating "soggy" cereal.

I have clothespins slip off the bags that are waxy and slippery.  I use bindery clips.  I have them in all sizes from tiny to huge and they will hold anything securely.   I also have some stainless steel alligator clips for really big jobs but they are more expensive.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have clothespins slip off the bags that are waxy and slippery.  I use bindery clips.  I have them in all sizes from tiny to huge and they will hold anything securely.   I also have some stainless steel alligator clips for really big jobs but they are more expensive.

Yeah, we use those bindery clips as well, although I use them more than Toots.  No particular reason though, it just worked out that way.  Clothespins are kind of long for our needs and preferences, and they don't seal as wide an area as the bag clips and bindery clips.  Plus, the handles on the bindery clips can be folded down, thus saving some more space.

• Like 1

... Shel

My cereal struggle continues at TJ's. I came home with 3 boxes, but forgot to check the nutrition panels. Barbara's Spoonfuls, at 5g sugar, can stay. But the TJ mixed berry granola and raisin bran clusters (17/18 g sugar) have to go back. Am I missing any good bets in TJ's own cereals, like 5-10 g sugar, aside from the O's and shredded wheat?

• 5 weeks later...

Ooooooooooo

its a cult.  not like WF

but cheaper

and

its easy to " Take It Back "

they have a Lamb Koftas :

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/lamb-koftas-with-masala-sauce

Ive sampled it 4 times

sometimes Im 'Not Sure' so they let me have a second sample !

:biggrin:

I have not purchased any yet

Im trying to Enjoy Many SV Items from my basement freezer

so that i might have a shelf for further Experiments.

( Freezer SV over all rating :  91. )

but I liked these " Balls "

as AnnaN says :  " no snickering "

they are mild with some 'spice' and a bit of glow later, but not much.

these, w your own rice , and some dahl and Naan

there you go.

sprinkle something green over it all

cilantro ?

Done.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Be on the lookout for Kürbiskernöl- marketed as toasted pumpkinseed oil from Styria (Austria). It is damn good. Nutty dark green and sublime. Good for salad particularly rindesalat (beef salad) & paradeis (tomato salad) - also darned good to fry eggs with if you don't mind green eggs. In short get some.    It is a small 250 ml metal container in the oil section for $9ish(!). Worth every penny. It is was generally artisanal when I lived in Austria; you bought it at the farmer's market in corked .5l (formerly beer) bottles from old ladies at the farmer's market. Not cheap then. Not cheap now but worth every cent. I'm going back Monday to buy a few bottles to store- they should be shelf stable & g-d knows If there's something you really like @ TJ's most likely it will soon be gone. 

Full disclosure I Lived in Austria for the better part of 10 years so this product is sentimental to me. That said it is sublime. My ex texted me about it the other day (she's Austrian) she was very excited & I can confirm it is the real deal. Nutty, dark green & sublime. 

Edited by Jon Savage (log)
  • Like 2

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Thanks Jon - I have been exploring nut oils and had heard about the culture around the pumpkinseed oil in parts of Europe - will give it a go if available this weekend.

I bought some roasted gorgonzola crackers  last time I was there.. love them, wish I had bought another box as it will be a while until we get back to Amherst. 

Also bought a bottle of blood orange italian soda which I haven't cracked into yet.  Hoping it is as good as or better than  Galvanina. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

TJ's Blueberry & Pomegranate Unsweetened Green Tea: interesting product. I kinda like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. Very fragrant, so you'd think the taste of fruit would be strong, but there's almost no taste. In fact, I tried a few sips while holding my nose, and it tasted like slightly tart tap water. 

I've never tried anything like Vitaminwater, so I don't know is this is a trend now. But in a world of overpoweringly sweet juice drinks, I was pleasantly surprised that it was so understated.

Be on the lookout for Kürbiskernöl- marketed as toasted pumpkinseed oil from Styria (Austria). It is damn good. Nutty dark green and sublime. Good for salad particularly rindesalat (beef salad) & paradeis (tomato salad) - also darned good to fry eggs with if you don't mind green eggs. In short get some.    It is a small 250 ml metal container in the oil section for $9ish(!). Worth every penny. It is was generally artisanal when I lived in Austria; you bought it at the farmer's market in corked .5l (formerly beer) bottles from old ladies at the farmer's market. Not cheap then. Not cheap now but worth every cent. I'm going back Monday to buy a few bottles to store- they should be shelf stable & g-d knows If there's something you really like @ TJ's most likely it will soon be gone. 

Full disclosure I Lived in Austria for the better part of 10 years so this product is sentimental to me. That said it is sublime. My ex texted me about it the other day (she's Austrian) she was very excited & I can confirm it is the real deal. Nutty, dark green & sublime. 

I found that oil in my local TJ stores.  For those who are not handy to a TJ's, here's an on line source:  http://www.wholeheartedfoods.com/pumpkinseed-oil-shop.htm

A couple of friends brought me a bottle of roasted butternut squash seed oil (not from the above source) and it's fantastic.  Toots especially likes her squash, and the oil is a wonderful addition to many preparations.

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

I was disappointed by the stone ground grits. They seems to have inedible bits in them (like chaff?). I'm sticking with local grits here. I have. However enjoyed the Carolina Gold BBQ sauce. Very similar to what you get in Upstate SC. It is a bit on the sweet side though.

Thanks to this thread I did pick up a little can of the toasted pumpkinseed oil. Will try on my salad today.

On impulse, I bought their Tangerine Juice (in the refrigerated section). I was glad to see that the juice was pasteurized. It's a refreshing mixer with my usual Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried their Potato Chips with South African style seasonings. They're an odd duck, so to speak.

Upon first bite, they taste like any BBQ chip with that little bit of sweetness. Then you taste a smokiness and other "umami"-ish flavors (the batch I had tasted a little too salty). But the spiel on the bag mentions South African BBQ rubs for meat. I thought that was quite accurate. They taste like a meat marinade. The crushed chips could make for a nice breading/coating on fish or meat.

Overall, they're an interesting chip.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's a pastry I never heard of: Kouign Amann which, it seems, TJ's is carrying in their frozen case.  I've not tried them yet, nor have I seen them at our local TJ's, but I'll definitely look for them on my next visit.  Has anyone tried them?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/trader-joes-kouign-amann-is-almost-as-good-as.html

... Shel

Their Jasmine rice is legit.

My favoite olive oil is the "Premium Extra Virgin" - the big 1L with the quickpour spout.

Pretty sure the "Pound Plus" (500mg) bars are Callabaut, and $5.

The carrot juice is good.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Here's a pastry I never heard of: Kouign Amann which, it seems, TJ's is carrying in their frozen case.  I've not tried them yet, nor have I seen them at our local TJ's, but I'll definitely look for them on my next visit.  Has anyone tried them?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/trader-joes-kouign-amann-is-almost-as-good-as.html

I'll have to try it.  It is very likely very good -- the chocolate croissants are.  You take them out of the freezer at night, and in the morning the dough has risen and you bake them fresh.  Really can't be beat.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.