• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

TJ's just opened where I live, so I can once again participate in this thread instead of reading it enviously. Best recent find: Aloo Chaat Kati Pouches. They're sort of like Hot Pockets, except they're filled with delicious spicy potatoes and chick peas, instead of processed cheese and despair.

Well, I tried one of these a few minutes ago, and it was terrible.  Following the directions resulted in a soggy, not crisp, crust, and the interior was also mushy.  The package goes back for a refund on my next visit to TJ's.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

To each his own, I guess, but I think your expectations might have been a bit unusual. I expected the outside to have more-or-less the texture of warmed pita, which it did, and if a mixture of curried potatoes and chick peas weren't mushy, I'd think something might have gone wrong with it.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

"""   To each his own, I guess """

just so.  someone suggested some sort of Masala patty or something like that a while back

put them in some sort of toaster thing

I tried them ....

never tried warm vomit, but these might have been worse.

took them back.

just so.

"""   To each his own, I guess """

just so.  someone suggested some sort of Masala patty or something like that a while back

put them in some sort of toaster thing

I tried them ....

never tried warm vomit, but these might have been worse.

took them back.

just so.

Ain't that a kick <LOL>.  I believe I recommended the masala burgers (if we're talking about the same thing  - http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144746-trader-joes-products-2012–/page-6?hl=%2Bmasala+%2Bburgers#entry1928679 ) ... love 'em, as do some of my friends and Toots.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

Vermont's first TJ's has finally opened and I love it. When I go in, I'm reminded of the feeling I got in toy stores as a kid. It's also doing very well...I never see more than 10 empty parking spaces in their lot.

One item I must rave about: the bagged chocolate chip cookies ("soft, chewy with rich chocolate chips and a hint of molasses") stocked near the fresh cakes and pies. They are the best CCC's I've ever had, including my own and pricey ones from bakeries.

powerdog

excellent

after a bit of time the folks there will help you pic the stuff that suits your

but remember  and i see this as important

You Can Take It Back

just so

ask them if you could take a few pic of the store for Us ?

Im trying this soon, ie right now:

TJ's Zin Lodi.jpg

sorry,  I didn't get close enough:

it says:

Lodi

Zinfandel

its decent at a cool temp.  'fruity' but no cherries (  :blink: ) Raspberries (  :huh: ) etc

at room temp  ( 68 ) its a bit rough

at 60 or even a bit cooler its nice.

not ultra dry, but smooth.

best of all :   in my area ( graft etc ) its 5.99.

Ill pick up a few cases before its all gone.

should you find it and try it  Im interested in your thoughts

as long as they are close to mine.

sorry, forgot the most important thing:  this wine has no 'off' chemical taste that I can detect:

you know, something from the Chemical Plant : a bit of benzine, a whiff of toluene, perhaps 

some Acetone ?

many wines < 15 USD or so  ( tj's prices ) suffer from what Ill call 'chemical defects'

although to be fair, these tend to pass w the third or so glass.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried the Trader Joe's South African Smoked Seasoning?  The base is not smoked peppercorns but paprika peppers which have been slow smoked for 48 hours over acacia wood and flaked, The flaked paprika is blended with sea salt (30%), garlic (17%), dried basil (6.5% and packaged in a grinder.  The result is wonderful on almost anything.

$2.30 for 1.76 ounces.  http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=1223

Tim

Has anyone tried the Trader Joe's South African Smoked Seasoning?  The base is not smoked peppercorns but paprika peppers which have been slow smoked for 48 hours over acacia wood and flaked, The flaked paprika is blended with sea salt (30%), garlic (17%), dried basil (6.5% and packaged in a grinder.  The result is wonderful on almost anything.

$2.30 for 1.76 ounces.  http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=1223

Tim

Had it on my list the last time we headed south of the 49 th. Forgot it anyway!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tim

Yes. Reminiscent of Spanish pimenton. I think it would be great to add a little bit of smoke (and spice) without using a smoked meat product.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

i got some pf tje SASS today.

its nice.  I dislike the plastic grinder it ( and other TJ's spice blends ) come it.  you can refill it, but they do not offer refills

:wacko:

it also doesn't really grind.  I have some inexpensive adjustable grinders from IKEA that work very well for this sort of thing:

I like this one, you can see what's in it and it can be washed:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875/

but how to get this sort of spice blend in a plain glass jar ...

next time I do some vertical chickens on the Weber Ill use this via the IKEA and see.

Edited by rotuts (log)

We are really enjoying TJ Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. It's a mustard based sauce. I have used it on fish, chicken and on sandwiches. Very tasty and versatile.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

We are really enjoying TJ Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. It's a mustard based sauce. I have used it on fish, chicken and on sandwiches. Very tasty and versatile.

I found it to be pretty bad ... not even close to any of the sauces I had in the Carolinas, and far too sweet for my taste.

... Shel

well  I was eye balling this sauce yest.  it seems to have a lot of salt in it.  not really news.  next to it was another TJ's sauce, in a reddish bottle

it had less salt.  two good things:  these do not have HFCS

and you can take them back.

so on my next visit Ill try both.

How do you like TJ's pancake mix?

In July, we are leaving for the summer, back to Europe, and I'm going to buy some food presents. Some maple syrup and pancake mix is on the list.

I wanted to buy King Arthurs' pancake mix but at 9$ I find it quite expensive. Any other suggestion from TJ's products to bring back as presents that will not make the luggage too heavy?

I was also thinking some freeze dried fruit that is not very easy to find in Europe and light. What else?

Thanks

i use this from time to time:

TJPan.jpg

i like it.  box says 'pancakes, waffles, biscuits, coffeecake'

keep forgetting to try the coffeecake version  you add sugar, fz berries etc

id try it first.  you can take it back if you dont like it

the box weighs 2 lbs and is basically a multigrain grain and flour mixture + leavening.

The buttermilk pancake mix is decent, but I stopped buying it when I realized how easy it was to make your own pre-made mix.

FrogPrincess, I never make pancakes from mixes, I use a recipe I'm very happy with. But my friend, back in Monaco, tried it and said that her pancakes didn't come as good as mine. If I take maple syrup back I thought it would be good to take back a mix as well. Maybe I can put together a small collection of recipes for her too.

Franci:

in re-thinking your plan to bring interesting food presents to Europe ;

dont take Flour.  I think they have that over there.  take a few Rx's

unless you have a Friend chartering you a Jumbo Jets ;

Maple syrup  ( please take some Dark ) will work well with Scones, Crumpets, or the local equivalent.

Ive forgotten the FR and Italian equivalents.

When do you have to go ?   Ill take a look at my TJ's soon and see if I can find somthing

light.

cheers

Ok Rotuts, you are right, I prefer to pack children's scooters than flour. I'll get the dark MS (the one you find there it's crap and expensive). I still have 3 weeks to buy more, if something comes to mind, please, let me know. I appreciate. Thanks

I can tell you that my Euro and Brit friends who visit here buy and either carry or ship home pancake mix - especially the blueberry pancake mix made by Krusteaz - sold at Smart & Final. 

The last visitor, from Hungary, I took to S & F bought ten of the 28 ounce boxes and bought an extra suitcase to pack them and a couple of other food products that are not common over there, a can of malted milk powder. 

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett