• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

Well I should have known from the 10-minute farro but, but I had already bought a bag of their 10-minute barley, so I cooked it up. Yuck. Zero flavor. None. It went down the drain...

In better news, I highly recommend their Yellowfin Solid Tuna in Olive Oil. Excellent.

Did I mention before how much I like the TJ's ginger - they have the candied and the crystallized? $1.49 for 8 ounces. You can't beat that. Lovely and soft - perfect for dipping in dark chocolate.

• Like 1

Trader Joe's is amazing. . . no coupons or sales, but the prices are fabulous, especially for items that are usually considered "gourmet," (i.e. three times as much) at another market.

I used their rosemary pizza dough last night and their pancetta to make pizza with gravy, onions and Yukon gold slices.

Having been to their stores in CA, MO and MA, what they have and their prices vary by region. The best stock is in CA, but even w/in a city, their offerings will vary.

• Like 1

Eva

@EvaSiran

Someone on here and another forum recommended the poutine. One thing led to another and now I'm getting the poutine shakes. Incredibly addictive. And the cheese actually squeaks. I actually deep fat fry the fries in lard like a proper poutine should be instead of baking it like the instructions recommend and the fries come out perfect every time.

Have I mentioned their 85% cacao chocolate bars? $2 a pop and you get 2 bars per package. Good for slowly melting small quantities in your mouth (medicinal chocolate, I call it)

Have I mentioned their 85% cacao chocolate bars? $2 a pop and you get 2 bars per package. Good for slowly melting small quantities in your mouth (medicinal chocolate, I call it)

Is that the one called the Dark Chocolate Lovers? I will have to check that out once my Swiss supplies run out.

There was a little article about olive oils at TJ's a few days ago. The author of the book Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil recommends the 100% Greek Kalamata olive oil (which is my every day olive oil), and deemed the Trader José's 100% Spanish Organic, Trader Giotto's Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Trader Giotto's 100% Italian President's Reserve as defective. I also like the Arbequina olive oil which is seasonal I believe. Full results here.

I thank you Muchly for this. Ive moved away from most of the larger offerings at TJ's and gotten CA stuff

i did use the Kalamata for a long while, but thought well, Greece? these days ? with so much trouble there ?

I do have a weekness for Kalamata olives ..

but i did not quite understand the ref's to the CA olive oil you ref'd in the 'full results :

its old?

Ill move back to the kalamata.

i keep the 'jug' in the refrig and pour this into a small plastic 'jug' and keep that also in the refrig and micro the small 'jug'

when I need oil I think this helps for freshness rather than oxidized oil

Is that the one called the Dark Chocolate Lovers? I will have to check that out once my Swiss supplies run out.

That's exactly the one. It's not the best 85% out there, but it's better than many, and the price is otherworldly cheap.

That's exactly the one. It's not the best 85% out there, but it's better than many, and the price is otherworldly cheap.

Thanks. I will make sure to grab a bar or two next time I'm there. Maybe I will compare side by side with the 85% Valrhona that they also carry (but is more expensive).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a heavy consumer of the 71% Valrhona that sells at TJ's for about $2.99. Seems like a great chocolate bar for the price. 

That's the chocolate I use in my chocolate pudding, and TJ's is where I get it.

... Shel

""   85% Valrhona  ""

they have this? must have missed it

it looks like .....   ?

The TJ's around here carry it, it's right next to the 71%.  Same package design, different color stripe.

... Shel

Last time I went I got these: http://traderjoes.com/digin/post/pane-guttiau-sardinian-parchment-crackers. Next time I go I will get 2 or 3!!

yes, these are quite new, and i love them. the flavor of the olive oil and salt really come through, and they are wonderfully crisp and thin. you may also know them as carta di musica. 

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook