• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

One of the few things I've found at TJ's so far that I go out of my way for and I typically don't eat and have never liked sweetened, sugary cereals. Not that sweet for sure but a big part of the appeal is how long they stay crisp in milk, which is longer than any cereal I've ever had.

I'm kind of tiring of them, though. Last trip I only bought 2 boxes and it took me almost 3 weeks to finish one and I haven't opened the second. Next trip, I think I'll skip them.

TJ's Bran Flakes are good, too. Better than any other brand I've ever tried and also stay crisp in milk longer than others, though not as long as Toasted Oatmeal Flakes or some of the Nature's Path Organics which TJ's carries.

checked w my local TJ's today: MA

if you drink 2 or 3 buck chuck, you are not alone: this one store sells 450 - 500 cases a week.

it see regularly 100 cases stacked against a wall ...

:huh:

You should see their NYC Union Square store- its ALWAYS a zoo. But worth it. For the extra buck I buy a canvas bottle holder and would shove my way off the N or R at Prince Street. Worth the trouble since I worked in USquare and easily drinkable. Especially for NoLita prices

I oat flakes ive tested above do taste a bit like the PTOF's you mention.

they are a bit thicker, a bit more crunch is a good way good oat taste.

for me, Id love them w/o the honey/molasses coating.

its just for me Id like to add my own Salt and my own Sugar.

I add molasses to various cereals and slow cooked steel cut oats.

dont need ConAgra doting this for me

if you have a TJ's your way. try the Oats posted above.

they were quite good. Id love them a lot more w/o the added sweets.

Some of Us Here have, you know, a sweet tooth

they love this cereal nothing wrong w that.

for me, as I have a tart tooth: if ConAgra wants to coat this cereal

they should consider Pomegranate Molasses.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I had a Trader Joe's bust yesterday. I made a bag of their 10-minute Farro -- essentially it is farro that has been parboiled, to facilitate faster cooking... And I thought it was terrible -- really flavorless, with none of the intense nuttiness that real farro has.

I can, however, second the awesomeness of the frozen rice medley mentioned earlier (the one that is a combo of brown rice, red rice, and barley) -- it is great!

Jaymes and I shopped at one of the Trader Joe's in Houston today! I purchased, among other items, two of my favorites - Eden Pastures Sheep's Milk Feta and TJ's Almond Meal.

And, embarrassingly enough, I've already polished off a half-bag of Kona Shortbread Cookies.

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Oh God, I love those cookies too!

My latest favorite is T.J's fig butter. Lightly toast a piece of cocktail bread and melt a slab of stinky cheese on it. Add a dollop of fig butter and meet a version of heaven. Extra good when washed down with champagne, but what isn't?

• Like 2

checked w my local TJ's today: MA

if you drink 2 or 3 buck chuck, you are not alone: this one store sells 450 - 500 cases a week.

it see regularly 100 cases stacked against a wall ...

:huh:

Popularity is rarely a sign of quality (otherwise Applebee, Oliven Garden, Cheesecake Factory or McD seem to have the best food even though it is hardly edible). "Middle of the road" food/drinks are popular because they don't offend anybody

I'm in the no camp for 2 buck chuck. I'm not a wine fan by any measure, but do like a good glass here and there. I can't drink that stuff and did bring it back. I'd never use it for cooking either, if I spend time cooking something I add things I like and with wine, I add wine I like. And if that costs a couple $ more so be it. I rarely cook with wine. I can't tell the difference between a $20 and a $100 bottle and usually buy in the $15 range for drinking. Anything above $20 is a waste of money for me, since I'm not that into it.

Our TJs now finally started to carry a small selection of herbs in larger than the small plastic clam shell box amounts, cilantro and parsley at least. I tend to get that at the farmers market, but I use a lot of it and I'm at TJ's once a week since my boy has karate lessons in the same mall. So that's a nice benefit. I also buy cherry tomatoes there, the small "persian" cucumbers, a little garbanzo bean salad my boy likes for lunch. The Pretzel stick breads are pretty good, not the real thing, but close enough. Cheeses are pretty good, avocados, their bananas usually are bad for some reason. I think I mentioned the confetti rice before, really good. Was never impressed by their frozen fish, but I don't like that from other places either. Some of their spices and spice mixes are good and a good value. Some of their bread is great, though it tends to mold faster than other breads for some reason.

Anything I don't like or that goes bad I take back, no hassle.

Flowers are also a good deal usually. And some of their olive oils are very nice. Not so the balsamic vinegar, I go with CostCo for that

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

If you check the ingredients list on some of the breads at TJ's they have less of the "preservatives" that allow breads like Orowheat to last for weeks without molding.

I agree with Judiu, freeze it - very lightly toasted if you want it "plain" and frankly for most sandwiches, a little toasting is a good thing.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm essentially in accord with andiesenji and judiu. Toots and I each buy TJ's bread on occasion, as well as getting free artisan bread at our local senior centers. None of these breads have preservatives, so we treat them accordingly. Toots cuts hers and freezes the pieces, sometimes she refrigerates the bread, and in all cases she puts them in the toaster before using, in part because she much prefers toast, but also for the reasons andiesenji and judiu noted.

Depending on the bread I buy at TJ's, I'll pre-slice it and freeze the slices, using as needed, and generally running them through the toaster oven before eating. I like warm bread. Other times I'll freeze the entire loaf, such as with the small loaves like the Petit Pain Pauline or the Mini Sourdough Boule, and the take 'em out of the freezer before dinner and put the entire loaf in the oven to warm, and we end up with lovely, hot, artisanal bread for dinner, just like you get served in a bread basket at a nice restaurant. Mmmm...

If not freezing the bread, I'll generally refrigerate it, sliced or not, and use as needed with a quick warming in the toaster oven. Considering how often I'm at home, even preservative-loaded breads would go bad at my place.

• Like 1

... Shel

We have been really enjoying Trader Joe's Mocha Cappuccino Mix. Comes in a 10.8 oz can and is stocked with the coffee and tea. Have only had it hot but supposedly can be enjoyed cold also. Good mid-afternoon pick me up.

Kay

A recent TJ's find has been the Stone Ground White Grits. They're not something I see very often around here in the Northeast except as an over-priced specialty item. And they're good! Lots of flavor and texture. Great to have in the pantry.

I LOVE THOSE and now I don't have to special order them from the south.

I eat Joe's O's

made by General Mills.

How do you know they're made by General Mills? TJ's also has organic O's, multi-grain O's, and maybe one or two others. Are hey also made by GM?

I read elsewhere that the O's, at least the regular O's, are made by a source other than GM. TJ's doesn't disclose who makes which private label item, so I cannot help but wonder what your source for this info is.

... Shel