• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

Got the revised TJ's soysauce. I hadnt noticed the change on the label, but had noticed that the munchkin uses it much less frequently, so I tasted it.

Its not bad but what were they thinking? Their old version was really good!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I just had TJ's frozen brown rice, red rice and black barley medley -- SO GOOD. It comes in three packets that take only 3 minutes to heat in the microwave. It made a perfect quick wholegrain side dish -- we had it with chicken sausage and roasted fennel with grapes. Sadly, I was visiting a friend when I had this -- there's no TJ's right near me. But I liked it so much I'm thinking of trying to cook up batches of all three grains, combine, and freeze my own!

A new TJ is set to open in San Antonio. It's on the checkout list.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

TJ's I noticed today has Grass Fed Steaks: Frozen. I think they were sirloin I didnt look that closely. they were about $10/steak. and again I didnt look at the weight

Has anyone tried these? I plan to rummage through their bin and get a 'decent one' and try it SousVide 130. Ive never had a grass fed steak, although i have two from the CSA in my freezer. I have noted that GFBeef doesnt seem to be butchered with a lot of care: thick fat, thinner on the meat side. OK for SV .

In the past ive enjoyed their frozen rack of lamb. its seasoned but oddly I think seasoned well.

its about 15 $$ for a small rack. Fine for Two. Ive grilled double chops from them, you get 4, and done them whole in the oven rare ( you must ignore their cooking instructions!)

I think these fz ones come from Canada, eh?

Edited by rotuts (log)

It looks like I have never posted on this thread however I am a Trader Joe's fan and shop there at least once a week. Here are some items that I buy regularly.

Their fruit and vegetable selection in San Diego is usually pretty good: organic cherry tomatoes, organic citrus, Haas avocados; the bagged salad mixes are very good. Varied flower selection (and reasonably-priced). Also their potted herbs are nice (I bought a lavender this summer).

I don't really love their meat or fish but the whole chickens are decent.

The cheese selection is GREAT and prices are about 1/2 of Whole Foods or the cheese shop. Some of my favorites are the cave-aged gruyere, Roquefort, "Toscano" cheese, fresh goat cheese, raclette (in season), Parmigiano-Reggiano (sometimes you can find Stravecchio), Ossau Iraty ("Basque cheese"). There are more that I am sure I am forgetting. They have crème fraîche which can be hard to find. The Greek yoghurt is thick and rich.

The Parma ham is great to add to fresh pasta or pizza. Speaking of which, their fresh ravioli are just average but their frozen woodfired pizzas are very good and the flammekueche (tarte flambee) are another favorite. In the freezer section, the mango ice cream mochi is my guilty pleasure. I buy frozen fruit (mangoes, raspberries) to make smoothies or crumbles. The frozen pains au chocolat (chocolate croissants) are fantastic. I also buy their frozen haricots verts, French peas, broccoli, pearl onions.

I like the Kalamata olive oil in the square bottle and the Abequina olive oil in the little bottle. The balsamic vinegar is a good deal. I buy their canned tomatoes to make tomato sauce.

My husband is addicted to their chocolate chip cookies (the little ones in the big plastic tubs and also the bigger ones in the cardboard box).

We like their mango granola and all the nuts are great (cashews, Thai peanuts, Marconi almonds, macadamias).

They stock Bulleit rye and have a bunch of solid beers under their own label. Their wine selection changes all the time and you can get excellent deals every once in a while (when we find something we really like, we always come back to get a case but often we are not fast enough and it's all gone already!).

Not sure what I would do without Trader Joe's. When I moved to the US from France, I was so relieved to find this store!

Katie,

I have not tried the " chocolate hazelnut biscott ".. I bought the Almond to try and.. the Nutrition facts didn't look to bad and 1-2 little cookies , and thatis about all I need for snack. I'll probably go back and give the chocolate hazelnut biscotti a try now that these are pretty good.

BTW--Have you tried them?

Paul

Its good to have Morels

I tried what I think is a new TJ product...Whole Grain Rye Mini Toasts. It's like a bag of flat rye croutons. They're super crisp and crunchy and the rye flavor is intense.

They were great for dipping in hummus.

edited to add: I also tried a new (to me) Pomegranate flavored Kefir which was quite good, as well.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

and if you really dont like them take them back and get a credit or a refund!

on the other hand I cant imagine anyone not already going there if its 'with in' ones shopping radius.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I no longer have the original packaging so I can't take them back for a refund, but the Applegate Farms hot dogs are pretty bad. Their taste is off (almost sweet) and the texture is a little odd as well.

The only other thing from TJ's I can remember not liking is their coffee. I don't normally buy coffee from TJ's but last time I tried it their Italian espresso was ok while everything else was quite bland.

Katie,

I have not tried the " chocolate hazelnut biscott ".. I bought the Almond to try and.. the Nutrition facts didn't look to bad and 1-2 little cookies , and thatis about all I need for snack. I'll probably go back and give the chocolate hazelnut biscotti a try now that these are pretty good.

BTW--Have you tried them?

Paul

Have I tried the choc hazelnut ones? Oh yeah, I'm a heavy user. Good choc flavor, not too sweet. I used them crushed with graham crackers about 1:1 for a crust and that was fantastic.

Turkey gravy in the little box just showed up. it doesnt last long and is seasonal. but it keeps forever on the shelf. you can jazz it up any way you like.

this, and a CK and Beef version should be had year round, but not to be.

• 3 weeks later...

went to the Trader today and they sampled some pretty nice Trader Joes 'reserve' Wines in several styles for Thanks.

but they demo'd their pumpkin pie and 'whipped topping' (Joe's) (FZ)

Im not a big fan of pumpkin pie as it tends to be too dense and over 'seasoned'

their pie was delicious. The 'topping' they said was much healthier than 'cook whip' it did taste decent.

I mention this as they said they always sell out on those Pump. Pies.

Ill get a few and keep them in the freezer.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the triple ginger dark chocolate cookies they are promoting now? I am tempted....

Are they the same as the triple ginger snaps except with the addition of a chocolate coating?

... Shel

While it's still the holiday season, if you see any of the Trader Joe's "Belgian Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Caramels" buy as many as you can carry. They are a seasonal product, and they are orgasmic.

They are a shell of good, hard dark Belgian chocolate, filled with a semi-liquid caramel that is delicious. This lovely little bundle of ecstasy is topped with a sprinkle of very coarse sea salt.

They need to be eaten carefully, since the filling is oozy. IMHO, the individual candy is a little too large and a little too rich (a LOT too rich) to try to eat in one bite.

The flavors will literally explode in your mouth, and each bite is just a perfect balance.

They come in a box with a red bottom & sides, and a top with a light blue background. On the lid is a lighthouse. Buy as many as you can. Unless you live in my neighborhood, in which case, they're awful and you should avoid them at all costs.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"