• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

I just recently tried the frozen mushroom ravioli with mushroom truffle sauce. In addition to being quick and easy to prepare, it was quite good. I'll have to get more before it is discontinued.

http://traderjoes.co...?article_id=225

HC

Those are good. The only problem is that it's a serving for 1.

thanks for the TJ's tip on the Mushroom Ravioli. Some how I missed it. Pretty tasty for a 4 minute meal!. Its on my Not Cooking Tonight list.

Their scallops 'a la parisienne' is also good for the same reason. used to make this all the time. Its ingenious where the sauce is wrapped around the scallops then frozen as balls: is you use 1/2 package (they are loose in the pack) you still get the right ratio of sauce, more or less.

• 1 month later...

They have a new spice called "South African Smoke". It comes with a grinder at the top.

It's just paprika (smoked, I believe) flakes, sea salt, garlic and basil but I only taste the smokiness. I've been adding it to everything from omlettes to rice to chicken. Grind a little for just a little smokiness, grind a lot for a stronger flavor. I've been finding that a little goes a long way.

Has anyone else tried it?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

shame TJ's went to those throw away grinders. In the past they sold their 'combo' spices in a jar, and you put them in your own (reusable) grinder ie their whole pepper blend (pink, green, black white).

shame TJ's went to those throw away grinders. In the past they sold their 'combo' spices in a jar, and you put them in your own (reusable) grinder ie their whole pepper blend (pink, green, black white).

interesting, I've actually appreciated the TJ grinders--which are not throw-away, you can refill them with whatever you choose. I have a row of dedicated grinders for salts, peppers, and other large spices, thanks to TJ's salts and peppers sold in inexpensive grinders. But I agree with your point, it is too bad that they don't also sell the spices in bulk.

In local news today a recall of some TJs products.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In local news today a recall of some TJs products.

Here is the link to the TJ site regarding the recalled products - an issue with contamination at the supplier of the diced onions that went into various products.

interesting, I've actually appreciated the TJ grinders--which are not throw-away, you can refill them with whatever you choose. I have a row of dedicated grinders for salts, peppers, and other large spices, thanks to TJ's salts and peppers sold in inexpensive grinders. But I agree with your point, it is too bad that they don't also sell the spices in bulk.

I'm with you, Linda. I love those things, and have repurposed every one of them since I discovered that you can easily screw off the grinder top and refill. The price point on the filled grinder is stupid low, considering how much utility you can get from the grinder once the original spice is exhausted. Just another thing I love about TJs.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 4 weeks later...

Trader Joe's Soy Sauce: Yesterday I purchased a bottle of TJ's reduced sodium soy sauce, a product we've been using for years. This time there was a new label, and the ingredients indicated the sauce contained vinegar! What's the deal with vinegar in soy sauce? Never heard od such a thing.

... Shel

Trader Joe's Soy Sauce: Yesterday I purchased a bottle of TJ's reduced sodium soy sauce, a product we've been using for years. This time there was a new label, and the ingredients indicated the sauce contained vinegar! What's the deal with vinegar in soy sauce? Never heard od such a thing.

Oh, now this really honks me off ! TJs old label soy sauce was my absolute favorite. I liked its flavor way more than the other mainstream (read, gringo-ized) options. I had noticed the label change, and thought "hmmmmm, I sure hope they don't change the sauce itself", but went ahead and bought it anyway. I guess I've only used it in things where the soy sauce flavor wasn't forward so far, because I didn't really notice a difference. Just went and checked the label, yep, it has vinegar, had a taste and, yep, it isn't as good. Last bottle of TJs soy sauce for me......

Damn.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Toots picked up a package of Trader Joe's English Muffins for a weekend guest. The guests are gone, but the muffins linger. They had a very interesting, and satisfying, sourdough flavor, but the texture and bread-like consistancy left much to be desired. I'm not sure that the good flavor aspects outweigh the other, poorer qualities, to warrant another purchase. However, my taste buds are strongly urging that I buy another package.

What are your thoughts on TJ's Englsh Muffins?

... Shel

As an experiment, I just finished one of their ww cinnamon and raisin muffins. No nooks and crannies to speak of, and I miss those. I sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar, as the cinnamon flavor wasn't coming through. Good wheaty flavor, but these are not as good as Bay's. (I'm a Bay's fan.)

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted something crispy to pack for lunch along with just cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes as I would be in the heat working - picked up the Rosemary Raisin Crisps and really enjoyed them. They were even better when I got home and spread some excellent local Mushroom Liverwurst on them.

A recent TJ's find has been the Stone Ground White Grits. They're not something I see very often around here in the Northeast except as an over-priced specialty item. And they're good! Lots of flavor and texture. Great to have in the pantry.

As of yesterday Rochester, NY has a new TJs....can't wait to take my list and make an expedition to the east side of town. It's very near the flagship Wegmans store....the one everyone takes their visitors to. Never thought we'd get a TJ because Wegmans has such a strong presense. Expect to love them both.

Made a TJ's run yesterday. Went a little crazy as I hadn't been in a while. Picked up Chili Spiced Mango, Pita Chips with Cinnamon and Sugar (aka Crack), everything pretzel thins (my favorite with hummus), cheese and chile tamales, Butter chicken, Garlic Naan, Pork potstickers, Phyllo dough, Pistachios, green pea crisps and pumpkin granola. Plus the pumpkin pancake and waffle mix.

And the Biscoff like cookie spread (which I haven't tried yet).