• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2012–2015)

Katie Meadow

[Manager's Note: You can read the earlier posts on this topic in Trader Joe's Products 2002-2011)]

Finally my local TJ's is stocking Bulleit Rye, and not just Bulleit Bourbon. Same price for either, $19.99. And that's the same price as it is at BevMo, which also just started to carry the Rye.

Edited by LindaK
Edited to add note (log)

• 1 month later...

I buy 2 packs at a time of the dried, unsweetened mango. Nice sweet/tart taste. I try to grab the packs with the most dark orange colored pieces, they have the best flavor.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Two purchases yesterday that ended up in the trash bin. I had some lovely meat to grill yesterday and today, was craving fries and onion rings, and thought I would give TJ's a shot. Yesterday the hand cut skinny fries with skin were not crispy and surprisingly greasy. Today the beer battered sweet onion rings were onion mush surrounded by salty, heavy, boring batter. I cooked them per the directions - baked in the preheated oven. The national brands from the chain market at least crisp up! Trash day tomorrow so they are on the way to the landfill......

Two purchases yesterday that ended up in the trash bin. I had some lovely meat to grill yesterday and today, was craving fries and onion rings, and thought I would give TJ's a shot. Yesterday the hand cut skinny fries with skin were not crispy and surprisingly greasy. Today the beer battered sweet onion rings were onion mush surrounded by salty, heavy, boring batter. I cooked them per the directions - baked in the preheated oven. The national brands from the chain market at least crisp up! Trash day tomorrow so they are on the way to the landfill......

Not surprised about the fries....I tried both their frozen sweet potato fries and their frozen garlic fries and was soundly disappointed. So I wasn't even going to give the skinny fries a shot. Bummer about the onion rings though. I'm always on the lookout for those, and had high hopes for TJs. They certainly SOUNDED like they'd be good....

I *can* however, vouch for the TJ version of tater tots. I think they call them Trader Potato Tots. Also frozen. They're MUCH better than the original. They've become a staple in my freezer. Well, at least until they stop carrying them.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

If it were me, I'd bring back the empty bags. TJ's stands behind their products, they will refund your money, even though you threw the product away. I'm sure they werent cheap either.

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd bring back the empty bags. TJ's stands behind their products, they will refund your money, even though you threw the product away. I'm sure they werent cheap either.

I agree. I've taken things back - moldy berries mostly but also a box of frozen stuff that was full of ice and dried up product, and been given an refund without questions.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I agree. I've taken things back - moldy berries mostly but also a box of frozen stuff that was full of ice and dried up product, and been given an refund without questions.

The manager at our local TJ's told us that they want customers to try new items, and that they recognize that not everyone will like every item, so they offer a no questions asked refund or credit policy. If for any reason you are not happy with a purchase, return it. I have returned empty package wrappers or cans and gotten a refund. Some things, once opened, can't really be transported back to the store.

... Shel

Another product that I am very late in posting about: Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Stars (cookies). They're simple star shaped shortbread cookies covered in dark chocolate and sprinkled with tiny white candy spheres. Imagaine Mother's Iced Circus Animals...except covered with dark chocolate. You can read more about them here (click).

OMG. So good. :wub:

Plus they give you a huge amount of cookies in the package. Too bad it's a seasonal item.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

TJ's dried monmorency cherries are my favorie thing to put in my oatmeal for breakfast. They are wonderful. They also have a coconut milk in a carton like the "so delicious" but about $1.50 cheaper. My wife is crazy for the black bean dip. Oh, and their toasted sesame oil is very nice.

TJ's dried monmorency cherries are my favorie thing to put in my oatmeal for breakfast. They are wonderful. They also have a coconut milk in a carton like the "so delicious" but about $1.50 cheaper. My wife is crazy for the black bean dip. Oh, and their toasted sesame oil is very nice.

I like their white bean hummus - I've tried several times to duplicate it and while my efforts are okay, they just don't have that extra piquancy that's in the TJ's.

However I like my homemade pita better!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I buy 2 packs at a time of the dried, unsweetened mango. Nice sweet/tart taste. I try to grab the packs with the most dark orange colored pieces, they have the best flavor.

I have a weak (okay, very weak) spot for that unsweetened mango. I can easily eat an entire package in one sitting...

I have a weak (okay, very weak) spot for that unsweetened mango. I can easily eat an entire package in one sitting...

I think their unsweetened mango is blah... i can get better in bulk at the local Mex market... however their chile powder mango I have banished from the house because I will eat in one sitting.

I recently tried the goat milk brie and liked it a lot. The size is perfect for one or two people or packed in a lunch.

2008_02_22-TraderCheese.jpg

HC

I get the spreadable goat cheese now and then, it's a nice change from cream cheese on a bagel, plus the petite package works for me since DH doesn't like it.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I recently tried the goat milk brie and liked it a lot. The size is perfect for one or two people or packed in a lunch.

Toots likes that a lot, and, we buy it frequently. I find it pretty mild but sometimes that's exactly what I want. The price, as I recall, is pretty good, too.

... Shel

I thought it was milder than I expected too, Shel_B. Next time I will put it out in the morning to ripen and see if I can get a little more tang. I also wonder how it would be baked in a pastry shell with some berry preserves or Prosciutto.

HC

We recently tried the "classic" potato chips and were favorably impressed. They're a little thicker than Lay's so they have more potato flavor, but they're still thin and crisp, a style I prefer to kettle-style chips. And you can't beat the price -- $2.00 for a 10-oz. bag. I'm not sure if that's a promotional price, but it's about half the price of Lay's.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried their Cookie Butter? I thought it was a jar of peanut butter at first. The label said it was made up of ground gingersnap cookies. I thought it looked intriguing, to say the least.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Has anyone tried their Cookie Butter? I thought it was a jar of peanut butter at first. The label said it was made up of ground gingersnap cookies. I thought it looked intriguing, to say the least.

Sounds like the Biscoff spread, which is basically ground up biscoff cookies with oil...revolting.

I bought a jar of the cookie butter last week and thought it was tasty. Quite sweet and more like a cookie-flavored frosting than something I’d want on my breakfast toast. Although smearing some on a slice of toasted, rustic bread, topped with crisp slices of tart apple might be good. I was thinking it might be nice swirled into some kind of bar cookie but haven’t tried it yet. Might just melt away.

Sounds like the Biscoff spread, which is basically ground up biscoff cookies with oil...revolting.

I’ll admit your description doesn’t sound all that appealing but I found the product rather tasty. It was mentioned just upthread by nolnacs and chezcheri, here and here.