• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Cellar Tracking options

ewindels

I'd be grateful to get the communities recommendations on the above. Cellartracker had some very good features, including a substantial existing database which made adding items to my account easy, but their customer service has proven to be a comically unpleasant experience. I'm exploring Vincellar/Vinfolio, but as of now their database is limited and manually entering in over 800 different bottles with full details is more of a project than I care to undertake, so any other recos would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for:

• Something with a mobile option as well
  • A large-ish (subjective, I know) existing database, including label photographs
  • The ability to easily share a post to social media

I'd principally like to be able to look up search someting in My Account if I'm out and about to see if I've drunk it already and if so what I thought of it. So I don't need gargantuan or professional options, at least now.

Thanks, all!

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in knowing why Cellartracker customer service has let you down?

We have used "Cellar" for many, many years and it has been great (I don't think it is available anymore.) Because of Cellartrackers positive reviews in many forums and large data base we have been thinking of making the change, but your comments have given me pause........

Obviously ease of changeover, mobile capability, and a large data base are key considerations.

Life is short, eat dessert first

cellartracker is the best to date.

the mobile version is only available thru the web. I am surprised that you did not get any customer service from Eric.

He is very responsive

Edited by scamhi (log)

Following is the entire exchange with Mr. Levine, verbatim. I will let it speak for itself. For background, I was trying to register the Juan Gil 2010 to my cellar, but the Cellartracker site, despite displaying a large number of options from this bodega, would only allow the 2012 vintage to be selected.

Me:

1. Why do I have to register separately for the forum?
  2. I have been attempting to add the Bodegas Juan Gil 2010 to my cellar. The site refuses to recognize anything other than 2012 Bodega Juan Gil Honoro Vera Calatayud, no matter what I do.

If these are endemic issues, I'm going to stop trafficking on the site now. Which would be a shame, the site seems to have some great features.

Cellartracker

Sorry, the forum is separate. It takes 30 seconds to register, and you only need to do it once if at all.

For the Juan Gil, please just type less or be careful with your search. The wine is there and has been for nearly a year.

https://www.cellartracker.com/pickproducer.asp?szSearch=Juan+Gil+2010+&PickWine=on&NoVintage=

And: https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1378939

I am not sure what is endemic here. I do recommend reading the search tips:

HELP Search Tips

Search using any information from the wine label. If you don't get any matches, try typing less (e.g. just the first few letters of a producer or vineyard name). Use a wine label decoder if you are unsure how to interpret a label.

Me:

I've tried six times tonight, reselecting the straight 2010 bodegas vintage each time. The site keeps defaulting to the 2012. Darn, and I had such high hopes for your site.

Cellartracker:

Ed,

Somehow a quarter of a million people have managed to add 40 million bottles. Can you please tell me the steps you are following? Clearly something is going wrong, and I would be happy to help.

I hope you march onward to a pleasant weekend.

Me:

Mr Levine, I have typed the term "juan gil" in the search bar. Of the many options that are then listed, I have six times tonight clicked the 2010 vintage. Despite which, the site persistently defaults to the 2012 vintage. The tone of your response indicates that I am at fault. I don't know how to reply to that.

Cellartracker

Mr. Windels,

There are two ways to do this:

1) Do your search on the ADD WINE screen which is more optimized for this scenario: https://www.cellartracker.com/pickproducer.asp
On the QUICK LINKS menu click on ADD WINE TO CELLAR.

2) Or if you are doing a general search and then wish to use the side panel on the right, please note that you much FIRST click onto the row for the wine in question. I am guessing that your 2012 is the first item in the long list of items returned in the search. So THEN click on the row for the wine you wish to add. Alternatively if you hover your cursor over the wineglass icon for the specific wine, a HOVERCARD appears that you can also use to add the wine to your cellar.

You might want to quickly peruse this help topic which covers this, and the brief screencast video would likely be very helpful as well:

https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=41

I am not sure how you are inferring tone from an email. If I were to infer the tone of your email, it might be passive aggressive since you repeatedly have sent me emails that are pointed and accusatory and threaten to “leave” a site you have barely used and never paid for. However my site is free, and I willingly answer questions directly. I believe the answers you seek are above.

Me:

Wow...

Cellartracker:

So apparently I inferred incorrectly.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

This may be a stupid question stemming from a misunderstanding of the program - does the program not allow you to add wine that is not on their list? Was there a reason you could not manually add your 2010 Bodegas Juan Gil to your cellar list, instead of trying to pick from their predetermined selection?

I am (perhaps naively) assuming that a user is not stuck with only their database, no matter how large and extensive it may be.......

Life is short, eat dessert first

This may be a stupid question stemming from a misunderstanding of the program - does the program not allow you to add wine that is not on their list? Was there a reason you could not manually add your 2010 Bodegas Juan Gil to your cellar list, instead of trying to pick from their predetermined selection?

I am (perhaps naively) assuming that a user is not stuck with only their database, no matter how large and extensive it may be.......

Cellar Tracker does let you add wines to the database, the selection grows as people enter their data.

That was also my (brief) experience: you can add bottles to their database, which is how it grows. My problem was that for some reason the site would not allow me to add to My Cellar a bottle that they already had listed. Too bad that it didn't occur to me to try to re-list as a solution to the issue.

Kind of fascinating that they seem to be the only game in town: Vinfolio seems to be principally about getting you to buy wine via them, as opposed to tracking an existing cellar, and I can't find anything else, which leaves me back with my Google Drive spreadsheet.

Food, glorious food!