• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EXCESS! Anyone Else Have Enough Already?

weinoo

The following things are starting to bother me...

Pickled Raisins.

I mean, we all love Ideas In Food, right. But...

Smoked everything.

I like toast. But do I have to watch it on TV?

See-through toaster.

Got any?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pickled Raisins.

Just out of curiosity, what's the excess involved with pickled raisins? I didn't know you could buy pickled raisins but I've made them in the past and thought they were tasty. They seemed like a natural pickling candidate, overly sweet and mostly dehydrated. They suck up the pickling liquid, soften and the sweetness is balanced by the vinegar. Personally, I find it a vast improvement over a stock raisin. :biggrin: Not bashing your opinion, I'm just trying to understand the criteria for "excess" in that case.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Similarly I quite enjoy the added depth of smoked foods. Not so sure about that toaster though. Seems like you could get a nice, fully featured convection toaster oven for less, and it comes with a window as well.

Huge portions. Example: there's a bagel place near me that, when asked for a schmear of cream cheese, piles, literally, about 1/4-inch of cream cheese on the bagel, more than enough for two bagels and some to take home. Pizza with so much cheese on it that it runs off the slice to the point that I can take the excess home and make a cheese sandwich with it. Salads so over dressed that I now only order dressing on the side.

Food that's not hot: soup that's luke warm to the point I send it back to be heated.

Hamburgers piled so high with garnish (lettuce, tomato, pickles, avocado, bacon, and what not) that one cannot easily take a bite out of the sandwich and the thing has to be held together with a huge toothpick. Remove the toothpick and the stack can't even support itself. Leave the toothpick in, and it impales you.

.... Shel

... Shel

Pickled Raisins.

I mean, we all love Ideas In Food, right. But...

Smoked everything.

I like toast. But do I have to watch it on TV?

See-through toaster.

Got any?

I have the Magimix toaster - purchased because I COLLECT toasters, usually vintage and antiques, but some odd new varieties.

I like a few smoked foods but not all. I often "cheat" and add strongly brewed Lapsang Souchong to give a slightly smoky flavor to certain foods that are ENHANCED by the smoky flavor.

I have a BIG objection to GMO foods and I hate the idea that state governments and some in the federal government want to DENY us the RIGHT TO KNOW what is in our foods.

It is already a chore to have to read the complicated labels on foods but being able to interpret the signals that what is listed is not clearly identified, is HORRIBLE.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anything in excess pushes people past their comfort levels eventually.

But the examples that you chose...

Pickled raisins represent a sweet/sour flavour, what's wrong with that?

Smoke is added to salt and to other elements of a dish to improve the flavour; I'd be more worried about overuse of the product than the product itself (eg. piling tabasco on everything, or adding salt and pepper before tasting a dish).

And a toaster that let's you see when the toast is at a perfect level of doneness; that's really over the top -- crazy kids.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I'm in the minority here, but GMO foods keep third worlders from starving. Golden rice, for example, has the potential to save the eyesight of many children who rely on a rice heavy diet.

On topic? Molecular gastronomy and people saying it's "amazing". Amazing has to be the most over-worked word in the English language.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I'm divided on GMO. The Vit A golden rice is wonderful, but I don't like the BT corn that kills butterflies. Most of my objection though is to the sleazy Monsanto lawyers who sue any neighboring farmer if a GMO seed blows onto his property.

Like any technology, GMO can be mis-applied.

The trick is to understand the unintended consequences. Who knew BT corn pollen would land on milkweed leaves and kill butterfly larvae?

Doesn't make GMO bad, but wisdom is needed in its application. The "nearly sterile" GMO salmon come to mind.

the word "umami"

I've read this word for years and the closest I come to actually understanding it is when I see/ feel what a white Veal Stock does to some dishes; like maybe Butternut Squash Soup. If it is that esoteric why use it. My notion of it is something like the emotional response to mouth feel. That is just a bit thin to one of my limited brights because ,of course, we as people are so different,we'd all have a different view of the same thing. So, my vote goes to OliverB.

Robert

Seattle

Like any technology, GMO can be mis-applied.

The trick is to understand the unintended consequences. Who knew BT corn pollen would land on milkweed leaves and kill butterfly larvae?

Doesn't make GMO bad, but wisdom is needed in its application. The "nearly sterile" GMO salmon come to mind.

What frightens me is that GMO crops with the "built-in insecticides" kill honeybees and we NEED honeybees. What Monsanto has done to independent bee colony researchers should be CRIMINAL but so far they have gotten away with it.

Without pollinating insects there will be famine on an unprecedented level.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Pickled Raisins.

Just out of curiosity, what's the excess involved with pickled raisins? I didn't know you could buy pickled raisins but I've made them in the past and thought they were tasty. They seemed like a natural pickling candidate, overly sweet and mostly dehydrated. They suck up the pickling liquid, soften and the sweetness is balanced by the vinegar. Personally, I find it a vast improvement over a stock raisin. :biggrin: Not bashing your opinion, I'm just trying to understand the criteria for "excess" in that case.

Okay everyone - lighten up...

http://youtu.be/yYey8ntlK_E

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?