• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Matzo/Matzah

Pam R

So, I made matzo brei with toasted whole wheat Streits' matzot...

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Feh.

That looks more like an omelet with matzo than matzo brei. The matzo pieces are too big and too regular in shape, and don't seem to be well-coated with the egg. I have strong opinions about using WW matzo - I'm a staunch advocate of plain matzo, and the idea of toasting the matzo is alien to me. Never heard of doing that until I read this thread. Was the toasting an experiment, or have you tried it before? What specifically made it "Feh?" .... Shel

... Shel

I'd never toasted any matzo before until Perlow mentioned it above. The matzo pieces were certainly not regular in shape although they may look that way.

I'll try again with regular matzo soon.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

BTW... just posted an update to Rachel's Passover Roll recipe. Like Matzo Brei, this is something GOOD you can do with Matzot. http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/the-joy-of-pesadich-rolls/

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I could see where a little water on the outside might make salt adhere, which would go a long way towards making the stuff edible. Then when you toast it, you'd get rid of the water and crisp it up.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

So I used plain matzoh and toasted it. It does crisp up. I learned two things: it toasts very quickly (in other words some went directly from the toaster into the garbage) and never to put the raggedy side of broken matzoh down in the toaster because it gets stuck and things get ugly. I did not attempt to wet the matzoh before toasting, as that seems likely to make an even worse mess.

There was a slight improvement over untoasted matzoh in the final product, but matzoh brei is going to have that wonderful slightly rubbery slightly cardboardy texture no matter what. That's what makes it good. Once or twice a year.