• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable Peelers – Is There a Difference?

Shel_B

my favorite is the kind that does not swivel at all, looks like a strange knife with two slits stamped out lengthwise, where the sharp blade part is. I have the OXO and use the serrated one on fruit, but for anything else I use the fixed blade one. And I peel away right into the trash can.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

There are two types - one has the blade mounted at the tip of a Y handle (so that it looks a bit like a catapult?), and the other has the blade mounted in line with the grip, like a knife. I much prefer the Y-type peeler.

This.

Y- and U-shaped peelers are sometimes sold as 'speed peelers' with good reason. Unlike the 'knife-style' peelers they are less inclined to get clogged with apple/potato/whatever skin when peeling a large quantity of items. I'd also vote for one that doesn't swivel. If the blade is on a swivel eventually, I think, it'll break.

Born that way, I guess, but I love the order of peeling off very long, wide, neat strips of peel.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I'm using a "Betty Crocker" brand vegetable peeler that was given to me by my GF. It's OK, but I'm not very pleased with the way it works. However, I've not tried other brands, so I really don't have a point of comparison.

Are all vegetable peelers pretty much the same? Are there some designs (are there other designs?) that work better? What do you use, why do you use it or like it, and have you made any comparisons?

Thanks!

...Shel

No, they are not the same. Get the OXO Good Grips peeler.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It makes a difference if you are right or left handed. Most kitchen tools are designed for right handed people. I bought my left handed daughter a Rosle left handed peeler as a gift and she says suddenly she can peel things easily. This goes for can openers too. Even some knives that are sharpened only on one edge.

Maybe there should be a thread about left handed issues in the kitchen?

Edited by ElainaA (log)

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Maybe there should be a thread about left handed issues in the kitchen?

Here's a previous similar eGullet discussion:

"Left-Handed/Ambidextrous Tools & Utensils"

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

messermeister is for the win, best peelers i ever used, even though (strangely enough) they are not available in europe why i have to source them from the us.

even at twice the price because of shipping they are still a great deal!

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since this thread was started, and that's given me some time to check out a few suggestions. I decided on the Messermeister swivel peeler after trying an OXO peeler ... it just seemed to work better for me.

I never would have thought there'd be such differences in so simple an item. Thanks to all for your suggestions and info.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

The Kuhn Rikon Y-peeler is my favorite, even compared to other Y-peelers like Swissmar, and I definitely can no longer use swivel peelers. The key for me is the shorter handle which provides me greater control...necessary when you're peeling baby turnips, radishes and asparagus and still want to keep them nice and round.

However, I can see the pros of swivel peelers if you mainly peel large potatoes, carrots and the like and the concern is more of having a confident grip.

I've tried several different peelers, I don't like the Y-shaped or U-shaped peelers at all.

The Oxo and Messermeister straight peelers that so many like are okay, but rather cumbersome.

I keep going back to the old Ekco (not the newer junky model) that I've used for years, it's by far the fastest peeler I've ever used.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

There are two grades of Oxo Swivel Peeler (straight):

The Pro model has replaceable blades:

I've tried many peelers over the years (ceramic or not, straight or not, various brands). Even a famous "cult" peeler, bought shortly before the vendor's death:

The Oxo Pro peeler is my favorite peeler of all, by a wide margin. I don't mind the heft. Replaceable blades cinches the deal. My hands do the voting. This isn't what I want to believe, this is what I reach for.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

• 2 months later...

Some miserable rat bastard "borrowed" my peeler off my station, and used it to peel bricks or something. Because now it is absolutely freakin' ruined. So now I need a new peeler.

I'm looking for a peeling lightsaber so I can 1) decapitate the person who borrowed my last peeler; and 2) peel things like a madman. Any recommendations?

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Many of the comments are of the "I don't use it every day/don't need to peel pounds at a time" variety.

Well I do. I use a peeler every day, and peel pounds of veg every day. I spend roughly half an hour every day, peeling things. Also, I'm left handed. I'm not looking for the best value. I'm looking for the best, full-stop. Ideal peeler would have changeable blades (available in multi-packs), left-handed (or ambi), Y-shaped (I prefer them to knife-like peelers), heavy construction (no plastic). The Rosle swivel peeler looks like it might fit the criteria. I was hoping that there's a garde manger cook lurking who has a bead on the best peeler for a line-cook.

I don't mind spending $30 on a peeler if it's the last one I need to buy. Frankly, I don't mind spending $50 or $100 -- if there's something that is far and away superior in the world of peeling vegetables. Anything that can save me a few minutes is a godsend.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

I like the Kyocera Mega Peeler. Yes, the handle is plastic, but it's sturdy. The blade can be popped out and reversed for lefties. It's ceramic, so it will stay sharp for about 5 years. It's sharper than the average peeler, so it glides through food more easily. It cuts off thinner peels, so there's less waste. It doesn't weight much, so your hands don't get as tired. It's wider, so things like squash and big potatoes get peeled faster.

• Like 1

The wonderful "Anything Left-Handed" shop in London has a section on their website dedicated to sourcing in the USA.

A search for "peelers" brings up a lot of left-handed options.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm left-handed, too, and I love the Messermister. The OXO has a nice and squishy handle, but the Messermeister seems like the blade is sharper, and is one of those tools that gives that 'extension of your hand' feel. I don't know how many years we've had our peeler, but it's never been sharpened, and still zips skin off like magic.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

How much use does the Messermeister get? I need something I can go-to every day, half-an-hour a day, and peel asparagus into little strips. A couple quarts every day. That action seems to be hard on a peeler. And then of course I have my co-workers, who constantly raid my station because I use nice tools. "Easily-replaceable blades, sold in multipaks" is a must. The Messermeister does not appear to have that option. I don't have time to sharpen a peeler when I have only 15 minutes before service starts. I need to swap it out right now, and move to the next task.