• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable Peelers – Is There a Difference?

Shel_B

I'm using a "Betty Crocker" brand vegetable peeler that was given to me by my GF. It's OK, but I'm not very pleased with the way it works. However, I've not tried other brands, so I really don't have a point of comparison.

Are all vegetable peelers pretty much the same? Are there some designs (are there other designs?) that work better? What do you use, why do you use it or like it, and have you made any comparisons?

Thanks!

...Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

The Oxo peeler changed my whole perspective on peeling. It's sharper, easier to use, easier on the hands, and has lasted for years.

Which one do you have? There seem to be several models.

...Shel

... Shel

I'm with Patrick Amory on this one. We have two identical Oxo peelers. As far as I can tell it's an Oxo Good Grips Swivel Peeler, probably the basic style.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There are two types - one has the blade mounted at the tip of a Y handle (so that it looks a bit like a catapult?), and the other has the blade mounted in line with the grip, like a knife. I much prefer the Y-type peeler.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I'm with Amory & Darienne on this one - I've used an OXO Good Grips for a long time - every now and then I take a chunk of nail off, but hey...

Cook's Illustrated's faves are the Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler, a Y-shaped one and the Messermeister Pro-Touch Fine Edge Swivel Peeler.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

love-love-love this one:http://www.messermeister.com/Serrated-Swivel-Peeler/

the serrated blade will peel a ripe peach or tomato with no bruising. i think i own 5.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I have always preferred Y-peelers. Been using a ceramic one for a while and really love it. I managed to get one with a very wide blade, for making potato chips. http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CWP-NBK-Mega-Peeler-Black/dp/B000FUJ5CO/

Ceramic is super-sharp and stays that way. Steel ones need to be honed occasionally.

I wonder if it is possible for the OP to post a poll to find out what the preference is - Y peelers or straight peelers.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

A more important question is: do you peel toward yourself or away?

Those who peel towards themselves might indeed like the Y-peeler.

I peel away from myself and have always used a swivel bladed peeler for that task.

Also, I don't really find myself in the position of peeling pounds and pounds of things, so my hand doesn't get tired.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Years ago I bought a Rosle in a sale bin at WS for $5 and I love it. Still works like new.

Yep, I'm a big fan of the Rosle as well. I have a couple and they stay really, really sharp.

BTW, They make a grapefruit knife that is the best thing ever invented if you are a grapefruit lover.

I don't think they make a product that doesn't raise the bar.

A more important question is: do you peel toward yourself or away?

Those who peel towards themselves might indeed like the Y-peeler.

I peel away from myself and have always used a swivel bladed peeler for that task.

Also, I don't really find myself in the position of peeling pounds and pounds of things, so my hand doesn't get tired.

Good points. I peel toward myself.

I don't do pounds and pounds often, usually only for holidays. The straight Oxo is my daily peeler.

I also have a julienne peeler that is great for a quick prep for cole slaw or latkes etc.

I peel away from myself and love the OXO-syle straight peeler for this. However, for making chifles and other chips, I've got a nice wide Y-peeler. For this application, the Y-shape can't be beat.

Now here's a thought. Both styles of peeler are available quite cheaply, often at dollar stores. You could easily buy one of each in the cheapo types to find out which one you prefer, then make the outlay for OXO or Rosle once you know.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Another vote for the OXO straight peeler. I peel toward myself and don't peel in massive quantities (except for holidays). I have not tried a Y peeler, but I don't have any discomfort from the straight one.

I vote for a straight ceramic peeler. Unfortunately I cannot remember the brand I have. Also I peel away from myself. I can't even picture the thought of doing it any other way.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou