• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" Zoe Francois (2010–)

robirdstx

i got the USA Pan, and its the 1 lbs of note at Amazon it says do not exceed 400 degrees.

the notes that come with the pan, from the company, say 450.

Im going to try to see if the 10 grain loaf works in these w/o oiling.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I baked a loaf of olive oil bread this weekend. I forgot it in the oven during the first proofing so it must have spent at least 2 hours in there.

I like the slightly fruity flavor that the olive oil gives to the bread (I use a Greek Kalamata olive oil from Trader Joe's), but it seems less crunchy than the standard recipe.

12726262793_a2629cd8a4_z.jpg

12728157524_a9f859a189_z.jpg

12761356013_45ff41c60a_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I made the European peasant bread last night. I did not have any rye flour so I used buckwheat instead.

I really liked the texture. It was really crusty but wasn't dense inside. The flavor was very nice as well.

13052349645_601fa25dd6_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Here is another loaf that I baked from the same batch of olive oil dough (Feb 25 post). The second loaf is always better as the flavor has had more time to develop. The texture was better too, although I would have preferred something crustier.

12844030993_e0d367fdeb_z.jpg

12844034203_4eece0059f_z.jpg

12846342453_521ecdc648_z.jpg

I can't see much wrong with that crust, FP.

I'm going to have to play more with the other recipes in the book.  I've got a bit stuck on one or two, or adaptations thereof, and haven't explored as thoroughly as I should.  Olive bread is now officially on the list.

How about a nice tender spicy fruit bread?  Have you got a favourite from the book?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I can't see much wrong with that crust, FP.

I'm going to have to play more with the other recipes in the book.  I've got a bit stuck on one or two, or adaptations thereof, and haven't explored as thoroughly as I should.  Olive bread is now officially on the list.

How about a nice tender spicy fruit bread?  Have you got a favourite from the book?

The crust looks nice in the photos, but it was rather soft.

You know, I haven't tried any of the fruit breads in the book so I can't really help you. Hopefully others will chime in.

• 1 month later...

My DH had requested this bread again, so I mixed up the dough last week and finally baked it yesterday.

image.jpg

Sliced and served with an olive oil dipping sauce containing a touch of lemon juice, fresh basil, parsley and rosemary, garlic, red pepper flakes, dried oregano and thyme, kosher salt, and lots of fresh ground black pepper.

image.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

006.JPG

First try for the pecan sticky bun recipe from the first book.  This is good stuff.

• Like 2

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 2 years later...

That looks amazing, FP.  The basic recipe is about the only bread I make, but I've never done the brioche.  I must.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

2 hours ago, lesliec said:

That looks amazing, FP.  The basic recipe is about the only bread I make, but I've never done the brioche.  I must.

Yeah. Re-awoke my interest in making more of the breads.  Finding refrigerator space for the dough is my biggest challenge at the moment.   I have made the deli rye in the past and it is quite delicious.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A small bakery in a nearby town makes a bread that's quite similar to the No Knead loaves I make only their loaves are larger and flavored with Parmesan and Onion.  They're truly wonderful.

I keep wondering if I could make the same but I'm unsure just how much onion and cheese to add to the doughs.  Any thoughts?

• 7 years later...

Seven+ years later and the brioche is still a favorite!

Yesterday was my first time making the challah - it is pretty good given the low amount of effort needed! :) I used a wildflower honey from Idyllwild.

Challah

Challah

Challah

Challah

Note: I used 140 g for 1 cup of flour to convert to weight, per what is indicated on their website.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1