• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2008– )

gariotin

[Moderator note: This topic became too large for our servers to handle, so we've divided it up; the earlier part of the discussion is here: Cheese (2005–2008)]

Keep trying, Moreace, you might find a blue you really love! Sometimes it's the smell that puts people off, so try to focus on the texture and taste. Blues also pair beautifully with a little sweetness, so try drizzling w/honey, or eating on a piece of apple, pear, or fig - yum! Of course, a little glass of Sauternes to wash it down with doesn't hurt...

I think of Cambazola (blue brie) as a good blue to introduce to those who don't like strong blues. Also very mild is Blue Castello from Denmark--creamy (triple-cream I think) and easy to like. Of the milder blues I think Saint Agur is a knockout cheese: creamy, mild and pricey, if I remember.

I've taken to eating my Stilton with mostarda, but the fresh pears are really good right now. I can easily make a meal of Stilton, pear and ale. For heart-stopping decadence I used to put a very thin layer of sweet butter on the cracker and top that with Stilton. I'm pretty sure I only did that in private. I also tried something recently that I saw a mouth-watering picture of in a magazine (dunno which): a chunk of blue cheese drizzled with honey and sprinkled with toasted hazelnuts. Not bad with a blue strong enough to stand up to the honey, altho I'll stick with my mostarda.

That cheese course sounds pretty good and I am not surprised, as there is a great distributor in White River Jct.

Yep. Provisions International. They also supply the Lebanon and Hanover Co-ops, where I do almost all of my grocery shopping.

The Vt cheeses sound great.

Elixir always has a great selection, but VT has an amazing array of cheesemakers.

I think that Steve Jenkins' "Cheese Primer" is still a great book, altho I wish he would update it and provide pictures.  He is very opinionated, and I don't always agree with him, but the info is still very solid.

That's the one most often recommended so far.

For French cheeses, there is the definitive "French Cheese", DK Eyewitness Guide, which is invaluable for the color photos.

A good Italian guide is published by Slow Food.

yeah- the Co-op carries those, as well as a couple of others (including Henry Tewksbury's "The Cheeses of Vermont" ).

but the newest is "American Artisan Cheese" by Jeffrey Roberts.

Published by Chelsea Green, also out of White River Jct. A friend just gifted me with a copy last night, oddly enough.

I am also a huge fan of the books of Max McCalman:  "The Cheese Plate" and "Cheese" not only give you wads of info, but tell you the best ways to serve and partner great cheeses.

I have just recvd 2 new books - one is the "Murray's Cheese Handbook" by Rob Kaufelt and also "The Cheese Lover's Companion" by Sharon Tyler Herbst.  Haven't actually checked them out yet, but there they are...

Have at it...

I'll have to see- leaning most towards "Cheese Primer" for best all-around for one with limited cookbook shelf space.

Sincerely,

Dante

Now, I am going to get off my butt and go to Pastoral cheese shop. I wasn't planning on it, nor do I need to (my stock is pretty full at the moment) - but you have motivated me to go there...I haven't been to that particular shop in a while.....over a month actually. I have been sticking to Marcy's Cheese counter in Sam's Wine Depot and WHole Foods as of recently....they are a bit closer in distance. But, Pastoral is well worth the 3 mile drive (in the city that can take 15 mins, driving!).

Do you still live downtown? There is a Pastoral on Lake east of State (might be east of Wabash.)

That is so funny that you mention that VPF! When I was at Pastoral (the original Broadway location) they mentioned the Lake street Pastoral....which was not open months ago!

The Broadway location is, however, closer to me.....I would of course drive, without a moments thought, to the Lake St. location, if they were to offer different cheeses! Do they? Since they are the same store, I imagine they offer the same cheeses....right?

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

My Fiance got me Cheese Essentials by Laura Werlin for my Dec birthday! He knows NOTHING about cheese (except that he likes mild/medium kraft cheddar cheese, deli american cheese, and velveta...haha)....he asked at borders for help getting his cheese loving fiance a book on the subject....and they sure as heck picked out a winner!

Over the weekend, as I mentioned earlier on this thread, I made a trip to Pastoral Cheese....there I purchased:

1.) A brie that I cannot remember the name of (it is gone....all eaten by me! So no reference pertaining to names remain!)

2.) Grayson - Raw cows milk cheese, from Virginia. I really liked this one!

3.) Keens Cenglish (yes, with a 'C') Farmhouse Cheddar - cows milk, Raw, from England. This cheese has a wonderful 'bite' to it. I bit of pizazz/zip....which I enjoy :)

Today, at Whole Foods I purchased:

1.) Herve Mons Taime......mmmmmmmmmm is it good! I have never had this one before! It is a soft cheese, not oozy at all - but def. soft.

2.) Langa Robiola Bosina Cheese - again, very very good :) this cheese is semi hard...no hard like your typical cheddar but more firm than a soft cheese.

3.) Alta Ianga Rochetta - a combo of goat/sheep/cows milk. This little guy....I enjoy a lot. I have purchased this quite a few times previously. The interior is softish and slightly crumbly...on the inner rim of the rind there is a creamy layer.... However as this cheese ages the textures and flavors do change.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Guess what? My sweeetie got me Cheese Essentials too!! It looks like a great book. My new plan is to try all the "notables" in each style--and just as soon as my taste buds return (getting over a fever-flu thing) thats what I'm gonna do.

I went to my cheese market today without my reminder list and got overwhelmed by all the cheesiness in front of me. I picked up a Fromage de Meaux (French Brie that is pasteurized so it can be sold here) and a Caerphilly from Wales. They are warming up right now, and the Caerphilly looks so pretty.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

The Broadway location is, however, closer to me.....I would of course drive, without a moments thought, to the Lake St. location, if they were to offer different cheeses! Do they? Since they are the same store, I imagine they offer the same cheeses....right?

Honestly, I don't know if they have the same cheeses at both locations or not.

I did here that tha have Jamon Iberico at the Broadway location. It's not cheese but I think it's worth mentioning.

So far I can report success on my mission to try some new cheese most every week. It wont be difficult because my definition of "new" includes ones I may have eaten in the past, but without really paying attention.

On that note, I picked up a Point Reyes Blue, to eat on its own and toss into a beet and toasted almond salad and to munch on by itself. When I get back into the big city this coming week, I can pick up some comparison blues like this Roaring 40s and real Roquefort.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

I've been neglecting to post on this thread lately. Sorry about that. Its certainly not that I've stopped eating cheese. Its just that I haven't been trying a lot of new varieties.

Yesterday for example I stocked up by buying:

Cantal entre-doux - 6 month aged, raw milk.

St Felicien - One of my very favorite soft cheeses. It comes in a little ceramic shallow tub. (these are great for doing tapas like gambas a la hijo.)

St Augur - A great blue cheese and one that those just getting into blue cheeses might want to try. Very soft nutty flavor, not too sharp.

Raclette de brebis - Nice raw milk sheep's cheese. This particular sheep's cheese is new to me and I found it to be very nice. Inexpensive too.

This last cheese was bought on the recommendation of Madame at the cheese counter at the supermarket. (mind you the cheese section counter is about 30 feet long & in addition there are two serve yourself counters of equal length.) Madame knows me well, but is only now getting to the state where she'll give me advice and make recommendations. I think I'll be trying at least one new cheese a week on her advice. She knows what she's talking about.

I'll try to take more pictures.

Hey, when you guys post about different types of cheese, would you mind also mentioning the best way to enjoy them? That is something I have trouble with sometimes - knowing which cheeses are better on their own, which are better with crackers or bread, and which are better melted or cooked!

Hey, when you guys post about different types of cheese, would you mind also mentioning the best way to enjoy them?  That is something I have trouble with sometimes - knowing which cheeses are better on their own, which are better with crackers or bread, and which are better melted or cooked!

Tough topic. You'll probably get as many different answers as there are people posting.

Here are some of my preferences & prejudices; strictly personal with no claim to being "right"!

I prefer crusty French bread with most soft cheeses. The St Felicien mentioned in my last post for example or a good ripe brie.

I eat most firm or hard cheeses on their own. The Cantal & raclette de brebis are examples as are cheddars

Blue & other sharp cheeses are best with bread or dry crackers (plain, no flavoring & no salt). St Aguer, Roquefort & so on.

With goat's cheeses it sort of depends upon age & time of day. A really soft fresh chevre on French bread with a good jam is great for breakfast. Later in the day (lunch or dinner) the same or a slightly firmer chevre with cumin or fennel seeds or a herb mixture is very nice. On the other hand I love the little cabecue's that have been aged until they are very hard, tangy & sharp. These need to be slowly sucked on.

In general (exception above) I'm not a fan of chutneys, fruit jams or other sweet things with cheese. This is just my personal thing.

A favorite combination is a round of French bread with a skim of Dijon mustard topped with slices of French garlic sausage and Cantal and a sprinkle of herbs de Provence. Toast this under a broiler until the cheese melts. Heaven!

Finally, a marriage made in heaven is a glass of good vintage port with a chunk of ripe Stilton.

Ok, I've bared my cheese 'soul'. Now how about everyone else?

Well, since we're going there:

I don't do sweet, fruity stuff on cheese, either. Fruit -- actual fruit -- consumed by itself along with the cheese is OK, though, especially grapes.

One of my favorite comfort snacks is peanut butter spread on Stoned Wheat Thins and topped with a slice of extra sharp Cheddar. Apples and Cheddar are also a popular combo, and I won't turn that pairing down if offered, but I don't eat them together myself that often; see above.

Aged Gouda needs no accompaniment, either savory or sweet. It's almost like eating toffee as it is.

Soft-ripened cheeses are good on French bread or Table Water crackers.

Cheddar stands up to just about anything you serve it on, and the best Cheddars are good all by themselves too.

If you're a fan of grilled cheese sandwiches, even though process American cheese was invented for them, the best varieties are Cheddar (I don't mind the separation) and Swiss (especially Emmentaler). Port-Salut, a semisoft cheese, makes an interesting grilled cheese sandwich too.

Try adding a moderately strong blue to your macaroni and cheese sometime. You'll be pleased and surprised by the taste.

Muenster cheese's best partners are liverwurst and onion.

Most cheese-with-stuff-in-it IMO can be eaten straight, but there are exceptions: Cotswold should be served with crackers, preferably light or bland ones; Pepper Jack is an ingredient in cooking primarily; and Wensleydale with fruit in it should not be eaten, period. Instead, serve Wensleydale and add some fruit to the platter.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Dave Hatfield: " On the other hand I love the little cabecue's that have been aged until they are very hard, tangy & sharp. These need to be slowly sucked on."

Oh oh do share...what is a "cabecue"? I have never heard of this...is it a specific type of goats cheese? Or - is it a general "class" of cheeses? I thought I knew a fair bit about cheese.....THINK AGAIN LINDSAY! I have never heard of that before!

I love love love goats milk cheeses....and, I love love love "tangy/sharp and hard" cheeses.....

Please offter me a recommendation (or 2, or 3, 4....5...ok I am getting greedy now...hehe)...one that you believe I will be able to find here in Chicago, at a Whole Foods perhaps, or a cheese counter...

THANKS!

This is a somewhat delayed blue cheese report. Based on discussion here, my desire to branch out more, and a general love of the blue, I picked up a Pt Reyes Blue and a Roaring 40s. I really enjpyed both, though they are quite different from each other.

The Pt Reyes is white and very tangy in addition to having the blue flavor. It is so tangy that Laura Werlin suggests trying it with a slice of lemon so you can taste the similarity. Try it yourself, and be surprised :biggrin: I used some of it to toss into a salad of roasted beets, parsley, pumpkin seed oil, toasted walnuts and salt. Mmmmm.

The Roaring 40s is a kind of a dirty yellow, and even though Ms. Werlin places both into the same "creamy-crumbly" style category, it is crumbly, where the Pt Reyes is creamy. It has a funkiness, that my b.f. described as coming from the wrong end of the cow. YAY- More for me.

Perhaps my Roaring was a bit older which could account for its crumbliness. I dont have any basis of comparison, so I dont really know. Nonetheless, it was very tasty (and not for everyone).

Dave Hatfield: " On the other hand I love the little cabecue's that have been aged until they are very hard, tangy & sharp. These need to be slowly sucked on."

Oh oh do share...what is a "cabecue"? I have never heard of this...is it a specific type of goats cheese? Or - is it a general "class" of cheeses? I thought I knew a fair bit about cheese.....THINK AGAIN LINDSAY! I have never heard of that before!

I love love love goats milk cheeses....and, I love love love "tangy/sharp and hard" cheeses.....

Please offter me a recommendation (or 2, or 3, 4....5...ok I am getting greedy now...hehe)...one that you believe I will be able to find here in Chicago, at a Whole Foods perhaps, or a cheese counter...

THANKS!

OK, here we go on cabecou. (sorry for the misspelling on the original post.)

gallery_22910_3371_20614.jpg

A local label.

gallery_22910_3371_15112.jpg

six little fresh cabecous.

These are the little goat's cheeses that you eat with jam or herbs or nothing or whatever. The name cabecou is relatively local and is for these small (a bit bigger around than a silver $ & about a finger thick) raw milk goat's cheeses. I'm not sure how far around France the name is used. In some cases a cabecou also has an appellation name as for this:

gallery_22910_3371_6827.jpg

The Rocamadour is a cabecou, but from a very well defined region and made using well defined ingredients and methods. (Vaylats is less than 20 miles from where we live.

There seem to be several ways of making the little cheeses. Some just get dryer & crumblier as they age. Other go creamy & runny, like a brie, as they age. Still others are aged longer.

gallery_22910_3184_30685.jpg

These I bought from 'Madame' in Limogne market. She's not very communicative in fact I wrote her up in my blog some time ago.

As you can see these guys are much older. The brown ones at the back are as hard as rocks. I break them with a cleaver! Delicious. When I eat them I always have this image of an old grizzly goatherd out in the middle of the wilds of France chewing & sucking on these as he protects & herds his goats. C'est moi!

As to whether you can get a cabecou in Chicago I just don't know. Probably you can get the younger ones, but I'd doubt the older ones. They're not that common here, you have to really look for them.

Perhaps one of the USA based cheese experts, who know a lot more than I anyway, can help when it comes to availability in the states.

Good luck.

edited to correct lousy spelling & typing.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

THANKS!

OK, here we go on cabecou. (sorry for the misspelling on the original post.)

gallery_22910_3371_20614.jpg

A local label.

gallery_22910_3371_15112.jpg

six little fresh cabecous.

These are the little goat's cheeses that you eat with jam or herbs or nothing or whatever. The name cabecou is relatively local and is for these small (a bit bigger around than a silver $ & about a finger thick) raw milk goat's cheeses. I'm not sure how far around France the name is used. In some cases a cabecou also has an appellation name as for this:

gallery_22910_3371_6827.jpg

The Rocamadour is a cabecou, but from a very well defined region and made using well defined ingredients and methods. (Vaylats is less than 20 miles from where we live.

There seem to be several ways of making the little cheeses. Some just get dryer & crumblier as they age. Other go creamy & runny, like a brie, as they age. Still others are aged longer.

gallery_22910_3184_30685.jpg

These I bought from 'Madame' in Limogne market. She's not very communicative in fact I wrote her up in my blog some time ago.

As you can see these guys are much older. The brown ones at the back are as hard as rocks. I break them with a cleaver! Delicious. When I eat them I always have this image of an old grizzly goatherd out in the middle of the wilds of France chewing & sucking on these as he protects & herds his goats. C'est moi!

As to whether you can get a cabecou in Chicago I just don't know. Probably you can get the younger ones, but I'd doubt the older ones. They're not that common here, you have to really look for them.

Perhaps one of the USA based cheese experts, who know a lot more than I anyway, can help when it comes to availability in the states.

Good luck.

edited to correct lousy spelling & typing.

Thanks Dave! I can always count on you to help a girl out! The older ones (yellowish, the ones you say are as hard as rocks...I am thinking you are right on with the fact that I will doubtfully find them in Chi...Grrr....stupid cheese laws and regulations! THOSE are the ones I betcha I would find the best....double grrrr....

*goes to sulk in the corner*

On a positive note - I bought a very ripe little ceramic ramekin (I too love the little containers and I always keep them for re-using purposes - but who am I kidding I keep almost all tupperwares, i.e. cottage cheese, etc...the kinds with re-sealable lids) of St. Marcelin (sp? too lazy to get up and check...wait - I couldn't check even if I wasn't lazy....I already opened the saran wrap on this guy and the label is disposed of)....

Me...buy a cheese (especially a delight like St. Marcelin) at 9AM and dare to not open it...and eat half of it....within two hours of arriving home? HA - now that is a joke!

EDITED because I still, for some reason, do not proof read my postings until after I hit the "submit" button....will I ever learn from my prior mistakes?

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

General tip for Lindsay Ann and everyone else who edits only after they submit -- myself among that group:

I am slowly training myself to hit the "Preview Post" button first before hitting "Submit". That allows you to see what you've entered as it will look on the board and make changes in the editing window at the same time (it appears below the preview).

I've managed to catch many a tag error that way.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Just returned from the Fancy Food Show in San Diego - lots and lots of great cheese there, I can tell you! Nice to see the American Cheese Society organized a whole section for small cheesemakers and many attendees from Vermont, California, Wisconsin, Quebec - great offerings!

I have extolled the virtues of the new Truffle Tremor from Cypress Grove, so I was happy to tell Mary Keehn, the cheesemaker, how much I have been enjoying this new cheese. She said it took them a long time to figure out just the right amount of truffle, without it being too much and overpowering. If you see it in a US store, it is definitely worth trying.

As usual, Dave's photos provoke intense jealousy...those aged cabs look unbelievably good. I think we would be hard put to find anything so aged here in the US - hey guys, let's all go to France and visit Dave! But Lindsay, you should be able to find the younger cabs at WF or Pastoral. I am a big fan of American goat cheeses (aside from the boring 4 oz fresh logs!), but there is something about these small French chevres - they taste more tangy and complex that domestic - maybe it's my imagination, but maybe it's the terroir. I do know that in France, many of these cheeses are hand-ladled - meaning that the curd is ladled by by a person with a big metal soup ladle into the molds. They believe this results in the unique texture and flavor development of the cheeses as they ripen...maybe that is part of the difference.

As usual, Dave's photos provoke intense jealousy...those aged cabs look unbelievably good.  I think we would be hard put to find anything so aged here in the US - hey guys, let's all go to France and visit Dave! But Lindsay, you should be able to find the younger cabs at WF or Pastoral.  I am a big fan of American goat cheeses (aside from the boring 4 oz fresh logs!), but there is something about these small French chevres - they taste more tangy and complex that domestic - maybe it's my imagination, but maybe it's the terroir.  I do know that in France, many of these cheeses are hand-ladled - meaning that the curd is ladled by by a person with a big metal soup ladle into the molds.  They believe this results in the unique texture and flavor development of the cheeses as they ripen...maybe that is part of the difference.

OK. Maybe we can have our very own local cheese festival here in Parisot.

I'll buy the cheese if everyone else will bring the wine.

Just returned from the Fancy Food Show in San Diego - lots and lots of great cheese there, I can tell you!  Nice to see the American Cheese Society organized a whole section for small cheesemakers and many attendees from Vermont, California, Wisconsin, Quebec - great offerings!

I have extolled the virtues of the new Truffle Tremor from Cypress Grove, so I was happy to tell Mary Keehn, the cheesemaker, how much I have been enjoying this new cheese.  She said it took them a long time to figure out just the right amount of truffle, without it being too much and overpowering.  If you see it in a US store, it is definitely worth trying.

As usual, Dave's photos provoke intense jealousy...those aged cabs look unbelievably good.  I think we would be hard put to find anything so aged here in the US - hey guys, let's all go to France and visit Dave! But Lindsay, you should be able to find the younger cabs at WF or Pastoral.  I am a big fan of American goat cheeses (aside from the boring 4 oz fresh logs!), but there is something about these small French chevres - they taste more tangy and complex that domestic - maybe it's my imagination, but maybe it's the terroir.  I do know that in France, many of these cheeses are hand-ladled - meaning that the curd is ladled by by a person with a big metal soup ladle into the molds.  They believe this results in the unique texture and flavor development of the cheeses as they ripen...maybe that is part of the difference.

Oh, I agree Gariotin...those younger cabs I am sure I could find (actually, no "could" involved...I have seen those before!)...but those are not the ones I want *Whaaaaa*, I want the AGED ones....hehe

Like I have complained before....STUPID cheese regulations...stupid people who put STUPID laws/practices into effect.....

Ok, I HATE complaining...I am def. not one to complain. So - with that said...I am done

Oh, and I am game for a trip to visit Dave. Now if only I could afford the means to travel there!

I thought maybe you guys would be able to answer my question - I posted awhile back asking for suggestions for a blue cheese for someone who doesn't like it (but wants to give it a shot). I ended up with a Maytag. I added a very, very small amount to mashed potatoes figuring it would just give a hint of the flavor and maybe I'd end up pleasantly surprised. No such luck - I couldn't stand it (it was the same funk that I always dislike). So then, a week later, I thought I'd be nice to DH and make a steak with some blue cheese butter on top (I mashed up a little blue cheese in the butter - probably 75% butter to 25% cheese). I put a little on mine and eureka! It worked! I loved it. It was tangy and salty - everything I thought it was supposed to be.

So my question is - what made the difference? Cause the ratio of blue cheese to mashed potato was way, way less than the ratio of blue cheese to butter, yet the butter version was wonderful and the mashed potato version made me gag. Could it be the fat in the butter? Shoot, I don't know. I'm reaching here. I guess I'm just excited that I found an application where I really liked blue cheese. For once.