• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stomping Through the "Savoy" (2009–)

eje

gallery_27569_3038_19783.jpg

Orange Martini Cocktail.

(6 People)

2 1/2 glasses of Gin. (1 1/4 oz Orange Gin)

2 glasses of French Vermouth. (1 oz Noilly Prat Original Dry)

1 Glass of Italian Vermouth. (1/2 oz Martini and Rossi Rosso)

Steep in this mixture the finely-grated rind of 1 orange (carefully removing all the white pith.) Let it soak for one or two hours. Then add ice and shake (I stirred). Rinse out the glasses with Orange bitters (Angostura Orange Bitters).

I still had some orange peel infused No. 209 Gin sitting around the house from the last cocktail that called for "Orange Gin", so instead of taking the long way around, I just used it in this drink.

This was actually rather nice, as prepared above. Orangey and ginny with just a touch of sweetness from the sweet vermouth.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_56679.jpg

Oriental Cocktail.

1/2 Rye Whisky. (1 1/2 oz Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey)

1/4 Italian Vermouth. (3/4 oz Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth)

1/4 White Curacao. (3/4 oz Bols Dry Orange Curacao)

The Juice of 1/2 Lime.

Shake (I stirred) well and strain into cocktail glass.

In August, 1924, an American Engineer nearly died of fever in the Philippines, and only the extraordinary devotion of Dr. B– saved his life.

As an act of gratitude the Engineer gave Dr. B– the recipe of this Cocktail.

To me, the Oriental Cocktail is a very modern tasting cocktail. Compared to many vintage cocktails, it has a fairly large portion of both sweet and sour, making it quite rich in flavor. If it didn’t have pesky Sweet Vermouth, it could go on just about any modern cocktail menu and be quite the crowd pleaser.

Personally, I find it a bit rich, but am never quite sure where to go with that. More Vermouth and less curacao and lime? 2 oz booze, 1/2 oz of everthing else? Certainly can think of worse ways to spend an evening than tweaking the proportions of the Oriental.

In any case, as enjoyable as the Oriental Cocktail is, I’m pretty sure Dr. B– got the better end of this deal!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

To me, the Oriental Cocktail is a very modern tasting cocktail. Compared to many vintage cocktails, it has a fairly large portion of both sweet and sour, making it quite rich in flavor. If it didn’t have pesky Sweet Vermouth, it could go on just about any modern cocktail menu and be quite the crowd pleaser.

We actually did have this on one of our first menus, and it was a top seller, made more or less as you have it here. It's one of those favorites of mine that for some reason I don't seem to make very often.

I've seen this drink tweaked (Esquire Drinks?) to 2 oz rye, 1 oz vermouth, 1/2 oz each lime and curacao. It's a bit less sweet that way and if I recall, thats how we were making them when they were on the menu.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

gallery_27569_3038_21034.jpg

Paddy Cocktail.

1/2 Paddy Irish Whisky. (1 oz Bushmill’s 10 Year Single Malt Irish Whiskey)

1/2 Italian Vermouth. (1 oz Dolin Vermouth Rouge)

1 Dash Angostura Bitters.

I thought the milder Irish Whiskey and milder Dolin Rouge would combine well in this cocktial. I was wrong.

To be honest, I just don’t like the Dolin Rouge as a mixer with any whiskey I have tried so far. In this case, it seems to highlight the flabby, malty flavors of the whiskey. The drink also ends up tasting a bit watery. Maybe I should have been a bit more generous with the bitters? Or maybe my Dolin Rouge has expired.

After this failure, whenever whiskey is called for, I’m back to Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth. Or Carpano Antica, if I’m feeling flush.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_21034.jpg

Paddy Cocktail.

1/2 Paddy Irish Whisky. (1 oz Bushmill’s 10 Year Single Malt Irish Whiskey)

1/2 Italian Vermouth. (1 oz Dolin Vermouth Rouge)

I thought the milder Irish Whiskey and milder Dolin Rouge would combine well in this cocktial. I was wrong.

To be honest, I just don’t like the Dolin Rouge as a mixer with any whiskey I have tried so far. In this case, it seems to highlight the flabby, malty flavors of the whiskey. The drink also ends up tasting a bit watery. Maybe I should have been a bit more generous with the bitters? Or maybe my Dolin Rouge has expired.

After this failure, whenever whiskey is called for, I’m back to Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth. Or Carpano Antica, if I’m feeling flush.

no stock or cinzano? they are my favorites for sweet. if the drink seemed flabby in the lack of acid sense i'd add dry sherry. if it seemed too thin and bland i'd go the red hook route and add a spoonful of liqueur.

i'm sipping dolin dry right now and i really enjoy it. i think i prefer it to some of the white wines i've been keeping around.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

no stock or cinzano? they are my favorites for sweet.  if the drink seemed flabby in the lack of acid sense i'd add dry sherry.  if it seemed too thin and bland i'd go the red hook route and add a spoonful of liqueur.

i'm sipping dolin dry right now and i really enjoy it.  i think i prefer it to some of the white wines i've been keeping around.

Haven't tried Stock. I'll have to try that next. Cinzano I don't remember being over fond of. Used to use it quite a lot at the beginning of the stomp, but then got distracted by Carpano. Could revisit, as it is cheap.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

no stock or cinzano? they are my favorites for sweet.  if the drink seemed flabby in the lack of acid sense i'd add dry sherry.  if it seemed too thin and bland i'd go the red hook route and add a spoonful of liqueur.

i'm sipping dolin dry right now and i really enjoy it.  i think i prefer it to some of the white wines i've been keeping around.

Haven't tried Stock. I'll have to try that next. Cinzano I don't remember being over fond of. Used to use it quite a lot at the beginning of the stomp, but then got distracted by Carpano. Could revisit, as it is cheap.

Boissiere is also worth a look, as it seems to possess some darker tones.

gallery_27569_3038_23458.jpg

Pall Mall Cocktail.

1 Dash Orange Bitters. (Angostura Orange Bitters)

1 Teaspoonful White Crème de Menthe. (Brizard White Creme de Menthe)

1/3 Italian Vermouth. (3/4 oz Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth)

1/3 French Vermouth. (3/4 oz Noilly Prat Original Dry Vermouth)

1/3 Plymouth Gin. (3/4 oz Plymouth Gin)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Maybe I’m on crack, but I really enjoyed this cocktail. It was refreshing without being overwhelmingly sweet or over the top minty.

I suppose it is a sort of Martinez variation.

Not sure if the name is supposed to evoke Pall Mall cigarettes or what. But I have been known to be attracted to tobacco-ish or tobacco complementing flavors in alcoholic beverages.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Not sure if the name is supposed to evoke Pall Mall cigarettes or what. But I have been known to be attracted to tobacco-ish or tobacco complementing flavors in alcoholic beverages.

my guess it has more to do with the following quote from wikpedia, speaking of a street in London:

"Pall Mall is best known for being the home to various gentlemen's clubs built in the 19th century and early 20th centuries. These include the Athenaeum, Travellers Club, Army and Navy Club, Reform Club, United Services Club (now occupied by the Institute of Directors), Oxford and Cambridge Club and Royal Automobile Club"

just a thought, but interesting that you would get tobacco invocations from this given the Creme de menthe..

funny that my grandmother smoked Pall Malls, the loose tobacco in the bottom of her purse would mix with her Wint-o-green lifesavers, so today if i have that flavor lifesaver, i can still taste the Pall Mall tobacco...so maybe i'd like this drink too....

sb

Interesting, this drink is remarkably similar to the Barry cocktail from the Gentleman's Companion. Equal parts gin and Italian vermouth, a quarter ounce creme de menthe and orange bitters stirred. I took to rinsing the glass with the creme de menthe instead, really excellent drink.

gallery_27569_3038_107391.jpg

Palmer Cocktail.

1 Dash Lemon Juice.

1 Glass Canadian Club Whisky. (2 oz Canadian Mist 1885 Special Reserve)

Even without sugar, there really shouldn’t be anything wrong with this. So little Angostura and lemon. But man, does this construction just seem to point up the weaknesses of this whisky. Just dreadful stuff. Totally constructed and artificial tasting. Bleah.

I’m going back to the non-traditional Alberta Springs, if this is the general state of Canadian Whisky.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just dreadful stuff. Totally constructed and artificial tasting. Bleah.

I’m going back to the non-traditional Alberta Springs, if this is the general state of Canadian Whisky.

Ain't nothin' wrong with good old American Rye.

Edited by David Santucci (log)

Sorry to be so late with this comment, but I love that glass.

Neat, eh? My wife found a set of them on her last trip to Austin.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just dreadful stuff. Totally constructed and artificial tasting. Bleah.

Ain't nothin' wrong with good old American Rye.

Never had this particular bottling, but Canadian Mist, I think, remains the single most awful whisk(e)y I have ever tasted. I gave the bottle away after 3 attempts to make it palatable.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

gallery_27569_3038_65568.jpg

Palmetto Cocktail.

2 Dashes Orange Bitters. (Angostura Orange Bitters)

1/2 Italian Vermouth. (1 oz Martini & Rossi Sweet)

1/2 St. Croix Rum. (1 oz Cruzan Single Barrel)

Can’t believe I actually have an excuse to use Cruzan Single Barrel in a cocktail! We’ve had a few Rum and Italian Vermouth drinks before, but usually they call for Bacardi, which I take to mean a white Cuban style rum. And usually, with those white rums they aren’t very amazing, tasting more of Vermouth than Rum.

Here, on the other hand, is something quite enjoyable!

The rum has enough character to be complemented nicely by the Italian Vermouth and bitters. Yum.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The only dark rum I currently have is Appleton 12 yr. Reserve. Would this drink work with that rum, or should I wait and buy a bottle of Cruzan?

That has a very different character than Cruzan Single Barrel, would be far too heavy as a sub. You'll be glad to own a bottle of the CSB, and this is as good a reason as any to buy a bottle. Also makes awesome Milk Punch.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Leap-Frog Cocktail

1 Lump of Ice. (few lumps fridge ice)

The Juice of 1/2 Lemon.

1 Glass Gin. (2 oz No. 209 Gin)

1 Split of Ginger Ale. (Reed's Extra Ginger Brew)

Serve in long tumbler.

London Buck Cocktail

1 Lump of Ice.

1 Glass Dry Gin. (2 oz No. 209 Gin)

The Juice of 1/2 Lemon.

1 Split of Ginger Ale. (Fever Tree)

Use long tumbler.

I was looking up drinks featuring ginger ale tonight and noticed that these two are identical as far as I can tell. In any compendium like the Savoy, you're undoubtedly going to be treading on similar territory with some drinks, but this is the first instance I can recall of an exact duplication. Are there others? Curious too, considering these are only a page apart (in the '99 Pavillion edition). Figured someone would have noticed somewhere along the way.

I was looking up drinks featuring ginger ale tonight and noticed that these two are identical as far as I can tell. In any compendium like the Savoy, you're undoubtedly going to be treading on similar territory with some drinks, but this is the first instance I can recall of an exact duplication. Are there others? Curious too, considering these are only a page apart (in the '99 Pavillion edition). Figured someone would have noticed somewhere along the way.

Funny, I don't remember noticing that one at the time.

However, there is a fair bit of repetition. We've had at least three of a cocktail with equal parts brandy, lemon, kina lillet, and cointreau. Frank Sullivan, Hoop La!, and Odd McIntyre. There may be more to come!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_6246.jpg

Panama Cocktail.

1/3 Crème de Cacao. (3/4 oz Mozart Black Chocolate Liqueur)

1/3 Sweet Cream. (3/4 oz Cream)

1/3 Brandy. (3/4 oz Osocalis Brandy)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. (How about: Lightly whip cream with a dash of sugar syrup until slightly thickened. Stir brandy and Creme de Cacao together to chill and strain into a cocktail glass. Layer thickened cream carefully onto drink. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.)

OK, I’m cheating. I can’t take the credit for this great idea.

One of the drinks we are serving at Heaven’s Dog is from Charles H. Baker, Jr. and called the “Tiger’s Milk II”. This drink follows the pattern for most cream and spirits drinks and is of typically Baker-esque proportions.

Old brandy 1 1/2 jiggers, Bacardi Gold Seal the same; 1/2 cup each of thick cream and milk, then sweeten to taste.  Shake vigorously for at least 1/2 minute with big lumps of ice and serve in a goblet.  Dust with nutmeg, or ground mace, or cinnamon.

Uh, yeah, since Baker preferred 2 oz jiggers, that’s, um, 6 ounces of spirits and a cup of half and half. Wheee! That’s a party in a glass, all right.

Erik Adkins shrunk the spirits by about a third, then separated the cream agitation from the chilling of the cocktail. When I asked he how he’d thought of separating the cream out of the drink into a separate element, he said he’d seen a similar drink at Clover Club in Brooklyn, NY. In any case, the Tiger’s Milk II has proven to be a brisk seller at the restaurant, even if it is a bit of a pain to make.

So I am stealing from him and the Clover Club here for my version of the Panama.

Give it a try some time, and you’ll see this Alexander-like drink in a new light.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA