• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Circulating the oil

gfweb

Frying some julienned potatoes (not quite a latke) in a little oil. The center just wasn't cooking at a rate comparable to the edges. I used a laser thermometer to take the temp of the slow-cooking center and the edge. Edge was 400 deg and the center was 290!

I know that this is not news, but I was impressed at the magnitude of the temperature drop.

Gently sloshing the oil back and forth raised the temp of the center to 350 and frying sped up nicely. If only using a little oil, clearly sloshing is in order

IMG_20130317_150846_200.jpg

Measuring liquid with an IR thermometer is tricky. You should try to measure without liquid.

Also, if you are using a cast iron pan, cast iron thickness is not very uniform and temperature distribution varies.

dcarch