• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broiling bacon-wrapped filet

sahmd

So my youngest turns 6 tomorrow, and he wants "bacon steak" for his b-day dinner (bacon wrapped filet). (with roasted broccoli and mashed sweet potatoes - he's a great eater :rolleyes: )

We just finished a kitchen renovation which included the installation of a new bluestar range with an infrared broiler, and i'm wondering if any of you have experience with broiling steaks under super high heat.

I want the beef to come out mid-rare and the bacon to be at least a bit crispy. Would you broil half way, then flip and broil some more, or would it be better to use a preheated cast iron skillet so that I don't have to flip the steaks at all?

I've done a couple of trial runs and I know i can come up with a pretty good result, but am interested in feedback from folks who have had a similar stove in their kitchen for longer than I have.

Thanks for any advice.