• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lefse – Modern Recipe?

Raamo

Just spent the last 2 hours or so making lefse.

The recipes I have are pretty old fashioned and not very specific... or accurate.

While making it my wife and I wondered about mixing the flour and potatos in a stand mixer - would need the flour to potato amounts pretty exact.. though we're thinking of trying it with some ideas from this batch.

From a search of the forum I found it mentioned, usually in the context of my mothers etc :)

Thanks - that recipe has too little flour... like most I have :( Even a comment there commented on that.

I've loved it since I was a kid, only time I've hated it is the one time I had it when it was made from instant potatoes... :(

Tilde's Lefse

8 cups of potatoes cooked and riced (red potatoes recommended, but russets will work fine)
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of salt
3 tbsp melted butter ( you can use melted crisco if you like)
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups of flour
mix in each ingredient one at a time to the potatoes
form balls
roll and fry

Tilde's is one that my sister's family swears by. My brother in law got it from a woman that he works with. It works!

http://beatrice-ojakangas.com/2009/07/the-best-lefse-recipe-ever/ - the one here is from the Goddess of all things Scandinavian. It WORKS!
I grew up making lefse as a family project. I used to think that mashed was fine, but about 15 years ago moved to ricing and won't go back. I think the covered board and covered pin are important. and most importantly, cool in the garage not the refrigerator. If you do need to use the refrigerator, make sure you have a towel or something on the potatoes so they don't get too wet.
I would never use a mixer, you don't want to develop any gluten, this is a delicate thing. You'd need more flour to get to the right constancy and then you'd end up with crackers.

Hope that this is what you were looking for!