• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tanqueray Malacca In Da House

weinoo

Congrats! I'd want to try it in a Pegu Club to see how its spice and citrus play off the bitters and curacao. A Martinez should be good too.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

One of my favorite bartenders made a carbonated variation on an Aviation with it that I thought was delightful.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

A Martinez is terrific.

I was very lucky to get to try the original Malacca last weekend, and found it to be considerably different than the new make...the original had noticeable citrus, and less spice. So, that older discussion may not be entirely applicable.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Where the hell did you get two bottles? Somewhere in NY? Down here, neither Ace, Batch 13, nor Potomac Wines even received any to begin with.

Two bottles?! I took all that was on the shelf and could comfortably carry. Well, to be fair, only 3 bottles :cool: .

Yes, Astor.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A Martinez is terrific.

I was very lucky to get to try the original Malacca last weekend, and found it to be considerably different than the new make...the original had noticeable citrus, and less spice. So, that older discussion may not be entirely applicable.

I had the opportunity to speak with Angus Winchester, Tanqueray brand manager, at the roll out party for Malacca here in Atlanta and he was of the opinion that the original bottling, no matter how well cared for, was likely to have diminished (or at least changed) over time. Having only tried the new release I have no way to know so take that for what it is worth.

That said I suppose they could have "tweeked" the formula in the interim to suit what they perceive the public, and apparently particularly the bartenders, want.

primarily

I have never seen it in anything but a liter bottle and he said it was aimed at the restaurant/bar market rather than retail stores although it clearly has been available in some stores.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

A Martinez is terrific.

I had the opportunity to speak with Angus Winchester, Tanqueray brand manager, at the roll out party for Malacca here in Atlanta and he was of the opinion that the original bottling, no matter how well cared for, was likely to have diminished (or at least changed) over time. Having only tried the new release I have no way to know so take that for what it is worth.

That said I suppose they could have "tweeked" the formula in the interim to suit what they perceive the public, and apparently particularly the bartenders, want.

primarily

I have never seen it in anything but a liter bottle and he said it was aimed at the restaurant/bar market rather than retail stores although it clearly has been available in some stores.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about the older stuff diminishing...but, in my experience the citrus was prominent in the old stuff, and almost entirely absent in the new, which certainly calls that into question in my mind (assuming I trust my own taste buds more than the words of the master distiller).

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Jeff Masson (Cocktail Kingdom) posted this on Twitter last year.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/AuugjMyCIAAlafL.jpg

I'm seeing him in a few days to get some shakers. I'll ask if he notices any differences between the two editions.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

This was quite nice:

2 oz Tanqueray Malacca

1 oz Noilly Prat Ambré

1/2 oz Lustau East India Solera

1 Dropper Bittercube Barrel Aged Blood Orange Bitters

Lemon Twist

Intersecting layers of spice from the gin, vermouth & sherry...the latter does take a back seat, so I'd probably do a fat 1/2 oz next time.

DeVoto, The Hour

So this happened...

_011.JPG

The "original" Malacca seemed a little bit more assertive, heat wise - they're both the same alcohol content, however. The new stuff just tasted a little smoother, more tropical - if that makes any sense. Didn't try them in any mixed drinks, however.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The Malacca is a pleasant enough Gin, but overall I find the Ransom Old Tom to be more to my liking. That being said, I think more is better and it's good to have options like this.

Today I made a cocktail in honor of a perfect Portland Oregon Spring day. We've had black clouds and torrents of rain interspersed with bright sunny patches.

The Malacca mixes nicely with grapefruit juice.

March Showers

3 oz Malacca

2 oz fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice

1/2 oz St. Germain

A couple of dashes of homemade citrus bitters

Stirred and strained into a coupe and garnished with a grapefruit twist.

• 2 weeks later...

It is definitely smoother than I expected but still assertive. I thoughr the lower proof would be an issue especially when that high proof urgency is part of the attraction to regular Tanqueray, but Malacca is truly impressive. Maybe I will finally crack open my bottle of Old Tom and compare the two. It is spicier than I remember but that is likely due to the passage of time and brain cells.

Doe any one truly beleive if they sell this short run quickly that they won't bring it back?

malacca.JPG

Doe any one truly beleive if they sell this short run quickly that they won't bring it back?

If it sells out fast enough, perhaps they will keep it on as a permanent edition.

I mean, seriously, who is buying Rangpur?

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

So this happened...

attachicon.gif_011.JPG

The "original" Malacca seemed a little bit more assertive, heat wise - they're both the same alcohol content, however. The new stuff just tasted a little smoother, more tropical - if that makes any sense. Didn't try them in any mixed drinks, however.

Do you think the time on the shelf had any impact? Was the original an open bottle?

The brand manager for Tanq suggested that in his opinion the original did not manage to hold up well sitting on the shelf for a long while even if it was never opened and would not be as "fresh" as the new stuff which reportedly is made the same as before.

~tanstaafl2

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all... sorry for my late arrival but am a busy man.

I am glad you like the Malacca and thought I would throw out a few thoughts to you...

1. I am not a brand manager but the Brand Ambassador - ex bartender and bar consultant who does not work for Diageo directly. I have been trying to get them to bring Malacca back for the 5 years I have been with them

2. It will be a Limited Time Offer (LTO) however well it sells due to many supply issues.. but if it works then we have been promised the possibility of other LTOs and I am deeply excited by this as Charles Tanqueray has many othr recipes in his original notebook.

3. The brief for the Master Distiller was to make the liquid as close to the original version as possible - no point bringing it back but changing it now is there? He had never made it before as the last bottles were made in 1999 by the previous master distiller.

4. Gin will certainly start to become unbalanced after time - 5 years is what the Diageo Technical Centre say - as the botanical are held in a delicious but fragile balance.

cheers and feel free to reach out with any questions

aw

1. I am not a brand manager but the Brand Ambassador - ex bartender and bar consultant who does not work for Diageo directly. I have been trying to get them to bring Malacca back for the 5 years I have been with them

My apologies! I knew that you were the Brand Ambassador and not a brand manager but still managed to get it wrong above.

~tanstaafl2