• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial BBQ Sauce Question

Shel_B

Is there any comercially prepared BBQ sauce that's made without a lot of sugar or high fructose corn syrup, or even sugar free, and preferably one that's medium hot to hot? ...Shel

... Shel

Is there any comercially prepared BBQ sauce that's made without a lot of sugar or high fructose corn syrup, or even sugar free, and preferably one that's medium hot to hot? ...Shel

A great many Texans (at least in central Texas; although not so much in east Texas) really loathe the sort of sweet barbecue sauces you find elsewhere, like the deep south - Memphis, etc. - and Kansas City. In fact, in many of these central Texas iconic old smoked-meat markets, you'll find a more vinegary, spicy, thin sauce, more akin to Tabasco or, more usually, the Mexican hot sauces - Tapatio, Cholula, Valentina, etc. - which are often on the tables there.

I don't have any specific brands of Texas-made barbecue sauce to recommend, but I'd definitely start there. I know, for example, that Cooper's in Llano has a thin, peppery sauce that they very quickly dip their meats into right after they take them out of the smoker. I'd bet pretty good money that it has no sugar at all. Don't know if they mail order it, though.

And Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, Texas, has a very thin spicy sauce that they set on the table. Again, don't know if it's available via mail order. But it sounds a lot like what you're looking for. Like Cooper's, I'd be pretty surprised if Mueller's has any sugar at all.

Here's their description:

compnotcoating.png

When it comes to barbecue sauce, we've thrown out the "rule" and taken a different path. Most barbecue sauces are thick and act as a covering for the meat. Our sauce is better described as a "thin-dip". Tomato based with heaping amounts of onions and pepper, our sauce was created to compliment our meat, not cover it. Yes, it is spicy!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hi Jaymes ... those Central Texas sauces sound remarkably similar to the Down East and Lexington style sauces of North Carolina. Not quite what I was looking for in my original question, but simple and easy enough to make at home. Thanks for the "reminder." ...Shel

A great many Texans (at least in central Texas; although not so much in east Texas) really loathe the sort of sweet barbecue sauces you find elsewhere, like the deep south - Memphis, etc. - and Kansas City. In fact, in many of these central Texas iconic old smoked-meat markets, you'll find a more vinegary, spicy, thin sauce, more akin to Tabasco or, more usually, the Mexican hot sauces - Tapatio, Cholula, Valentina, etc. - which are often on the tables there.

I don't have any specific brands of Texas-made barbecue sauce to recommend, but I'd definitely start there. I know, for example, that Cooper's in Llano has a thin, peppery sauce that they very quickly dip their meats into right after they take them out of the smoker. I'd bet pretty good money that it has no sugar at all. Don't know if they mail order it, though.

And Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, Texas, has a very thin spicy sauce that they set on the table. Again, don't know if it's available via mail order. But it sounds a lot like what you're looking for. Like Cooper's, I'd be pretty surprised if Mueller's has any sugar at all.

Here's their description:

compnotcoating.png

When it comes to barbecue sauce, we've thrown out the "rule" and taken a different path. Most barbecue sauces are thick and act as a covering for the meat. Our sauce is better described as a "thin-dip". Tomato based with heaping amounts of onions and pepper, our sauce was created to compliment our meat, not cover it. Yes, it is spicy!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Of the commercial brands, the only one I've tried that I like is Stubb's. Not sugar free, but much less sweet than most. Available in a spicy version. (They also make a sweet sauce, but obviously you'd want to pass on that.) YMMV, but worth a try.

You're right in that the taste profile would be more satisfactory to me, but it has plenty of sugar in it even though it's not as sweet as most commercial sauces. ...Shel

Of the commercial brands, the only one I've tried that I like is Stubb's. Not sugar free, but much less sweet than most. Available in a spicy version. (They also make a sweet sauce, but obviously you'd want to pass on that.) YMMV, but worth a try.

... Shel

Yes, Stubb's. A Texas brand. So less sweet. You're heading in the right direction.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I grewup in Texas, and the prevailing attitude was that good BBQ needs no sauce. BBQ sauce only went into baked beans. That said, since leaving TX, I would accept none other than Stubbs, either the original or the spicy. Roasted chicken and Stubbs, mmmm....

I do not like sweet stuff, but I cannot imagine good BBQ sauce without sugar. IMHO, the sugar balances the other very strong flavors. Alot of sauces go too far and make the sauce mostly sweet, but not Stubbs IMHO. My recollection is that Elgins is also good in this regard, but is special order last I checked.

If you are hellbent on no sugar, my first guess would be one of Paul Kirk's books. It wouldn't be commercial, but it might be a start.

Gate's Extra Hot is not too sweet. Pretty good heat for a barbecue sauce.

ETA: Arthur Bryant's has some sugar in it but is definitely not sweet.

Edited by chileheadmike (log)

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I know it's not exactly answering your question, but I would recommend that you experiment with making your own bbq sauce so you can tweak it to match your own taste/dietary preferences. BBQ sauces of all kinds are pretty easy to make and are vastly superior to any commercial brand. If anything, commercial brands invariably err on the side of being overly sweet and cloying.

I would start with a vinegar based Lexington-style sauce as they tend to use far less sugar. You may also want to try a Carolina mustard based sauce.

• Like 1

I know it's not exactly answering your question, but I would recommend that you experiment with making your own bbq sauce so you can tweak it to match your own taste/dietary preferences. BBQ sauces of all kinds are pretty easy to make and are vastly superior to any commercial brand. If anything, commercial brands invariably err on the side of being overly sweet and cloying.

I would start with a vinegar based Lexington-style sauce as they tend to use far less sugar. You may also want to try a Carolina mustard based sauce.

I have made my own sauces in the past, in fact, I had a small business selling some locally. Very familiar with the NC sauces - have created a few recipes that I like and still use. Wanting a commercial sauce that suits the taste of Toots and me is just another option. ...Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 2 months later...

Bone Suckin' Sauce

Ive used that in the past. it clearly a couple of steps above the rest of the commercial stuff. might have more than one blend. thanks for the reminder. Ill look for it!

Well, today I found a new-to-me sauce, "Bone Suckin' Sauce."

http://www.buybonesuckin.com/products/Bone-Suckin%27-Sauce-16-oz..html#

It seems like just what we've been looking for. Toots will be very happy!

You do realise that Bone Suckin' Sauce is almost 1/3 sugar right?

bss_16_2008__45786.jpg

You do realise that Bone Suckin' Sauce is almost 1/3 sugar right?

The amount of sugar in Bone Suckin' Sauce is quite a bit lower than in many other commercial sauces I've looked at. In addition, it meets the other criteria: no HFCS, the degree of hotness, and the lack of a additives and preservatives. It ain't perfect, but it's a lot closer to what we want than KC Masterpiece and many other brands.

If I want perfection, I'll make my own, but there are times when an "acceptable" prepared sauce is desireable. Bone Suckin' Sauce seems like a good option for now.

... Shel

Franklin's BBQ has begun to market their sauce in grocery stores locally here, not sure if it's nationwide yet. This place has people lining up for at least 4 hours before it opens for BBQ and a lot of people say its the best brisket/bbq in the country. The sauces are really good and not overly sweet.

Im not sure its worth the wait and the CRAZY nationwide public and media following it has, but it is very very good.

http://franklinbarbecue.com/

Edited by Twyst (log)

• 1 year later...

Sugar free perhaps but what kind of sweetener do they use in that stuff, Shel? I don't see any mention and I can't find a 'label' to look at. The website just notes that it is 'not too sweet' - must be something in it though - stevia? honey? something 'artificial'?

Sugar is a pretty important component of most BBQ sauce (and rub) styles.

As you saw during your search there's few HFCS free and even fewer sugarless BBQ sauces available on the market because quite frankly they wouldn't sell.

Bone suckin sauce is great though.

For a home remedy a simple butter mustard salt Worcester vinegar finishing sauce might fit your bill. You can find a recipe for one on the weber forum if you search for "K Kreuger finishing sauce"

• Like 1

Sugar free perhaps but what kind of sweetener do they use in that stuff, Shel? I don't see any mention and I can't find a 'label' to look at. The website just notes that it is 'not too sweet' - must be something in it though - stevia? honey? something 'artificial'?

I looked at the ingredient list on the bottle I bought and discovered that the sauce contains sucralose.  It's way down at the bottom of the list of ingredients, in fact, the last ingredient.  I didn't notice that when I checked the label at the time of purchase.  Searching the net, there seems to be some health concerns about the ingredient, although it is used a lot by diabetics and others wishing to restrict their sugar intake.  I need to research some more, but I think I'd prefer a low sugar sauce rather than a sucralose sauce.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel