• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sticky Walnut – Chester

A few months back I had lunch at Medlar. When we were there we were having a chat with David, the boss who recommended Sticky Walnut in Chester. With Christmas and one thing or another I only managed to get to go for the first time about a month ago, I returned the weekend just gone.

Hoole is on the outskirts of central Chester, probably about fifteen minutes walk from the station. We drove on this occasion and were able to park for free just around the corner from the restaurant. Hoole is quite an interesting little area, there are a number of quite nice shops, clothes, butchers, fishmongers and a few bars too.

On both visits we ate from the lunch menu, with the addition of a pigeon starter from the evening menu. There were plenty of appealing options on both menus.

For starters we have had roasted beets, quail eggs, ricotta and peanut praline. Looked good, tasted good.

Roast beets sticky.jpg

Pigeon with morcilla came from the dinner menu. It was served with chorizo instead of the morcilla and I enjoyed it although I might have preferred it with the morcilla.

Sticky pigeon.jpg

Second visit started with ox tongue with beef croquettes with artichokes and another of Mackerel which came as a tartare and seared.

Ox tongue sticky.jpg

For mains we have had beef shin with gnocchi and sprouting broccoli, which was another nice looking plate. Rich tender beef and nicely cooked gnocchi and veg.

Beef shin sticky.jpg

My main was quail wellington and it was really good.

Quail sticky.jpg

Second visit mains were sardines on foccacia with pine nuts and roasted grapes and I chose stuffed pork belly with red cabbage.

Pork belly sticky.jpg

First visit we shared a crème brulee to finish and it too was very good. Second time we had sticky toffee pudding with praline ice cream and a very delicious chocolate ganache with salted caramel and chocolate orange macaroon.

Sticky toffee sticky.jpg

Chocolate ganache with salted caramel and chocolate orange macaroon

chocolate sticky.jpg

Good cooking, friendly service, good value. Well worth a look if you are in the area.

Martin

I'm a big fan of Stickywalnut and really appreciate their unpretentious down-to-earth hospitality. Seems I'm not the only one, too: on a recent Tuesday lunchtime visit the place was full - pretty much unheard of round these parts.