• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jaleo

foodgeek

I get the sense that Cafe Atlantico, Jaleo, and Zaytinya are all close by.  Say you ate an early light dinner at Jaleo, would it be convenient to walk to one of the other restaurants and eat more?  Could you eat an appetizer only at the bar of one place, have a meal at another, and have dessert at a third?  If so, what would be the ideal way to coordinate and structure such an event on a Saturday night?

Thx

All are within about a three block radius. If I were trying to hit all three in one night, I would do a couple of early tapas at Jaleo, an entree at Cafe Atlantico, and dessert at Zaytinya. I can be done, but it's not the optimal way to experience any one of them.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 3 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to eat dinner at Jaleo this past Saturday night. We ordered 12 tapas for a group of 4. Everyone's favorite was the chorizo special. We also enjoyed: sweet red peppers stuffed with cheese (and mushrooms?), eel, sausage and beans, onion with cheese, croquettas, etc. In fact, we liked everything we ordered. The cold omellete with potato was not a huge hit and the tuna was sort of ordinary, but everyone was very impressed with our meal. Excellent Sangria. We would have left the restaurant very very happy if we had stopped there, but, then we ordered dessert, and happiness became jubilation. I exaggerate, but not much. The rice pudding dessert was simply amazing, as was the chocolate and hazelnut torte. The flan and cheese desserts were also excellent. I wanted to try the Basque cake, but, unfortunately, they ran out--maybe next time.

When my wife and I returned from a trip to Spain a couple of years ago, we both agreed that a traditional tapas place (in a typical American restaurant format) would be a huge success. I think this restaurant proves the point. He could open a restaurant like this in every city, and it would always be a huge hit--people like to eat this way. I hope Raleigh, NC is his next location.

• 1 month later...

We are off to Jaleo Bethesda tonight for the first time. I love the downtown location and have high hopes for this one as well. We're going with three other couples so we should cut quite a swath through the tapas menu.

Steve, if you read this, are your desserts featured there also? If so, we will save some room. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yes, my desserts are there--if you and your husband (personally) only order two desserts, order the (more traditional) Basque cake with leche merengada ice cream and the (more progressive) Arroz con leche a la moderna. Do report back. The other somewhat progressive dessert--which also happens to be nonfat--is the Casta Diva gelee with mixed berry salad and lemon granite. Very nice as it melts, every spoonful will taste different and challenge your taste buds a bit, be sure to scoop up some of the gelee each time--which lines the bottom of the bowl: Casta Diva is this amazing, fragrant Spanish muscat-based dessert wine, which I infuse gently with a little vanilla. Enjoy. (Actually, which Yasmine, Gloria, Chris or Picasso infuses gently!)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Yes, my desserts are there--if you and your husband (personally) only order two desserts, order the (more traditional) Basque cake with leche merengada ice cream and the (more progressive) Arroz con leche a la moderna.  Do report back.  The other somewhat progressive dessert--which also happens to be nonfat--is the Casta Diva gelee with mixed berry salad and lemon granite.  Very nice as it melts, every spoonful will taste different and challenge your taste buds a bit, be sure to scoop up some of the gelee each time--which lines the bottom of the bowl:  Casta Diva is this amazing, fragrant Spanish muscat-based dessert wine, which I infuse gently with a little vanilla. Enjoy. (Actually, which Yasmine, Gloria, Chris or Picasso infuses gently!)

They sound delicious! With a party of six we should be able to try at least four. And I will definitely report back. Thank you.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Google leche merengada and see what you come up with Spence! As in milk with meringue folded in--milk brought to a boil several times with lemon zest and cinnamon, allowed to cool, then a Swiss meringue folded in. I include some Sevarome stabilizer, cure it a bit and freeze in a batch freezer.

It's a very nice ice cream, probably more technically an ice milk, but has the mouthfeel of something richer.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve, we ordered the Basque cake, flan, white chocolate mousse, apple charlotte, the chocolate mousse cake, and the gelee. All were delicious but the standout for me was absolutely the Basque cake. Homey and very sophisticated all at once, and the ice cream served alongside had a wonderful airy texture.

The gelee was wonderful, very refreshing - the lemon granite explodes in your mouth and provides a nice contrast to the fruit and the mellow flavor of the gelee. The waiter tried to talk us out of ordering it - he told us there were more interesting desserts on the menu. I had to insist that he bring it. I'm not sure whether it was because he doesn't like it personally, or whether he's had feedback from other customers. It is very different from the other desserts. Cookie garnishes are a wee bit trite, but it would be nice to have a little crunchy something alongside.

The rest of our meal was outstanding. Will make a full report with photos later. Right now I'm almost too full to type.

Edit: Scott got the explanation from the waiter - he doesn't recommend it because it has no fat in it and he thinks it's uninteresting.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 11 months later...

Bump.

My boyfriend and I are going to the Penn Quarter Jaleo tonight and I was wondering if anyone has been lately and can recommend some tasty tapas for us to order. Emphasis on the low-carb options as we are trying to get into bathing suits this summer.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jennifer

I had the low-carb duck confit with chery sauce yesterday and it was delish. I also had a bowl of gazpacho because I can't help myself -- must order it each time. While it does have carbs, they are the good, veggie carbs and not the starchy processed bread, pasta, or rice type.

I had the low-carb duck confit with chery sauce yesterday and it was delish. I also had a bowl of gazpacho because I can't help myself -- must order it each time. While it does have carbs, they are the good, veggie carbs and not the starchy processed bread, pasta, or rice type.

Since I'm now on a no carb diet :angry: I wonder about gazpacho -- some classic recipes call for bread to be a component. Any idea if the recipe used at Jaleo does?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Avoid the paella (whether you're on a low-carb diet or not).

The sangria is a popular favorite, although the predominant smell of cinnamon is probably a clue that it isn't made with Gran Reserva Rioja. :smile:

Although some people might accuse Jaleo (and Zaytinya) of being Plug-and-Play food, easy-to-execute dishes that lend themselves to transient kitchen staff, three disparate locations (Washington, Bethesda and soon Crystal City), and an ever-busier executive chef who will soon be in charge of six restaurants, the bacon-wrapped dates are still a requirement.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I like the chorizo with garlic mashed, the patatas bravas (clearly I'm a carb lover), the various cheese offerings, the asparagus.

Somehow I've always left so stuffed that I haven't had room for Steve's desserts. Next trip, I will somehow avoid loading up on tapas in order to sample the truly good stuff he puts out.

i always get the chicken w/ green sauce, the spinach and pine nuts, and the fried shark. the mussels (a lot of them), chorizo w/ mashed potatoes, fried calamari, red pepper w/ goat cheese are also popular with the group i usually go with.

p.s. i love the apple charlotte......

you all are truly mean:

I SAID LOW-CARB!

:raz:

But that said we had the sausage selection, the cheese, the sweet peppers stuffed with goat cheese, and the steak.

But GD I wanted some of that sangria.

and some of the desserts.

and the croquettas.

and the calamari.

Jennifer

I have to say, I like huevos, huevos, huevos...

and bay scallop w/ serrano ham,

spinach with pine nuts and raisins, bacon/wrapped dates (only 'cause I am one).

Anyone know when the new one is opening up in Crystal City?

Last I heard, October, but I'm quickly learning to take opening dates with a grain of salt.

The way they still have everything torn up along Crystal Drive in Crystal City I'd be shocked if they're ready for it to open before Christmas, let alone October.

We drove by last week and noticed the sign for the space - it didn't look like a lot of the interior work had been done. Still, it's a long time until October.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I work down in Crystal City and am anxiously awaiting the opening of Jaleo. Seeing how things have been progressing there for the past year I would also be surprised if everything was ready for an October opening.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.