• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Cleaning Life

Johnmichelsr

Hello I have seen endless thread with food items served in restaurants. As providing clean place to enjoy food is also an important activity, just want to know how the restaurant managers execute cleaning task? Is there special team or hiring professional cleaners is good option?

In my experience, most cleaning is done by regular staff. We do bring in an outside crew who specializes in cleaning the vent hoods over the stoves, and they do that a two or three times a year. We have big windows so we also have a guy who washes the windows inside and out every few months. Other than that, cleaning is generally done by the dishwashers or a prep cook in their down time.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

In my experience, most cleaning is done by regular staff. We do bring in an outside crew who specializes in move out cleaning brisbane the vent hoods over the stoves, and they do that a two or three times a year. We have big windows so we also have a guy who washes the end of lease cleaning brisbane windows inside and out every few months. Other than that, cleaning is generally done by the dishwashers or a prep cook in their down time.

Yes cleaning is regular activity but shortage of time is big problem.

Every restaurant I've worked in has done pretty much what pastrygirl said above. In fact, the only cleaning outsourced by the places I've worked is the hoods (and those are kept wiped down by staff in between the professional cleanings) and carpet (which staff vacuums every night). If the place where you work is truly so busy all of the time that nobody has time to do any cleaning (first of all, congrats) and you don't build cleaning time into your end-of-day staff routine then contracting it out is an option I suppose. I'm not really sure what size/type of place we're discussing and only you (or the business owner(s) if that's not you) would know if you consider it worth the expense to spare your staff the work. Where I work now is open 6 days/week. We have occasional cleaning parties where a few volunteers that want the hours can come in on the closed day and really tear the place down and clean. Everybody keeps things wiped down and cleaned daily in between those. Seems to work pretty well for us, the daily cleaning doesn't take long at all as long as you always stay on top of it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm proud to say that our local health inspector, who is quite a, shall we say, detail-oriented professional, actually eats in our establishment. Customers constantly comment how clean our place is. Here is how we do it:

As other comments said, the daily crew is responsible for constant cleaning. Every single surface gets cleaned every day so that when you come in the next morning, it's like a new kitchen. In my opinion, if you don't have the same people cleaning the mess as those who make the mess, the mess could be quite a bit well, messier! Here's how it works for us, and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any better ways to accomplish this important part of what we do:

The kitchen crew are responsible for keeping all their cooking equipment clean, including cutting boards, the inside of the ovens and the grill and the hood and their reachin. Every two months, the hood baffles get swapped out by a professional company, and when the inside of the hood needs it, they also come in to give it a thorough washing. For the first 5 years or so, we (the owners) did the baffles ourselves, until we could afford to hire a service.

The dish pit team keep the dish room clean, including the floor sinks, the walls, the ice machine, and they usually do the bathrooms and back of the house and the walkin as well. Professionals pump the grease trap but my husband maintains as the pumpers can be a little rough with it. If you want to keep good employees, I do not recommend you make them clean the grease trap!

The deli crew take care of everything on the deli line, including the sandwich table, the salad station, the micro, toasters, slicers, cutting boards, deli cases inside and out, and they also sweep and mop the entire place every night.

As owners, we pitch in whenever needed, including cleaning ovens, deli cases, dishes, windows, patio, etc. If the crew didn't think we were willing to do it ourselves, it would be much harder to motivate them to keep things clean. And as the owners, in the beginning we did even more of it; such as, for the first 5 years or so, we actully took the laundry home every week do do it ourselves! Our washing machine will never be the same so I don't actually recommend this. :shock:

Edited by DeliGirl (log)

• 4 months later...