• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide & Archimedes principle++

Mike Forman

First post here, so I hope I don't embarrass myself.

Anyways, I need not lecture everyone here on using the archimedes principle to get the air out of a ziplock bag, but I did learn a little trick to make it easier to get that last little bubble out of the bag.

Take a q-tip and dab it in some vegetable oil. About an inch below the zipper, swab a ribbon of oil across the length of the bag. Make sure you get the seams on each side as well. Make sure the ribbon extends to the zipper.

Now follow the normal procedure to get the air out and sink the bag. The ribbon of oil acts as a 2nd zipper, so you can get all of the air out of the bag with the oil zipper being below the surface of the water. I did some experiments with this trick, and have several bags holding airtight for several days now -- without even locking the ziplock. The oil does all the work.