• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So many Artichokes!

Charcuterer

I find myself in a nice situation of having more perfect artichokes than I know what to do with. I just received 2 boxes (25 large artichokes per box) from Ocean Mist farms and I would love if anyone would share ideas of what to do with some of these. (My usual method is Steam for 45 minutes then cool and cut in half. Remove the choke and drizzle with olive oil, season and either broil or grill until golden brown. Then serve with garlic aioli

My second question is how to store them. I have a wine cellar that stays at 57 degrees F. My refrigerator will not hold more than 10 or so. Ideas?

photo.JPG)

Edited by Charcuterer (log)

I like them oven roasted, topped with salad and poached egg. If i had that many, i would try deep frying thinly sliced and also puree. Normally when i buy just several pieces, i stick to tried and tested prep. I would love to play with them more, let us know what you ended up doing.

I break them down raw and use the bases like a root vegetable. I slice and then saute them, or add them to baked dishes like lasagne. You can slice them then microwave for a couple of minutes to par-cook and intensify flavor. I suspect, although have not tried it, that they could be frozen at this point and yield good results.

I'd probably clean them, half them and roast them all, then vac pack and freeze in 4 or 6 or so each bag portions. You can buy them frozen like that, which would indicate that that's an option.

Something else might be a soup or some sort (I'd guess there's an artichoke soup recipe around?) and freeze that or at least the base (leave out cream for example).

Maybe also play around with a couple, see if a salsa or a pesto of some sort is possible? If good, freeze portions.

We just had some "frost bitten" ones this week, they did not look pretty, but once cooked were delicious!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Here's an odd question. If I roasted and then bagged some artichoke hearts with olive oil could I then pasteurize the package in my immersion circulator? I'm always nervous about preserving anything under oil for the botulism risk.

Botulism isn't as likely in artichokes. That said, to kill the spores, you need to get the temperature above 250° for at least 10 minutes, 30 is usual in commercial canning, just in case. So, if you can run something other than water in your circulator, yes.

One of my favorite ways to cook artichokes--Baked Artichokes with Onions, Lemons, Black Olives and Mint, from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook. It's straightforward to prepare as well.

http://api.cookstr.com/recipes/baked-artichokes-with-onions-lemons-black-olives-and-mint/print

Artichokes with eggs are magic. You could steam some artichoke bottoms and top each one with a poached egg and a dollop of tarragon mayonnaise--one of my faves.

Another fave, a frittata of lightly beaten eggs, steam-cooked artichoke quarters, sauteed onions (spring onions in season), blanched chopped spinach, a little minced garlic & fresh herbs (like fresh thyme), grated Parmesan cheese, S&P. It seems so simple, yet I go back to this frittata time and again.

You can prepare these stuffed artichokes and after they are cooked, you can cool them, wrap individually in plastic wrap, freeze and store in a jumbo ziplock plastic bag.

Remove from freezer 1 hour prior to serving - nuke in microwave for 2 minutes, handle with care to unwrap plastic.

You can check with a probe thermometer to be sure they are hot in the center (175° F) if you have a low output microwave.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A Greek recipe for an artichoke stew with lemon, carrots, potatoes and onions. It is really good, especially the 2nd day. Here's one version: http://greekfood.about.com/od/lentenmaindishes/r/Artichokes-City-Style-With-Lemon-And-Dill-Aginares-A-La-Polita.htm

As to whether you could freeze the stew... No idea. Might work.

Artichauts farcis en crepinette.

8569995743_5baf99729e_z.jpg

Artichokes stuffed with pork and turnip greens. Bound in caul fat then gently roasted with my ventrèche, lemon and olive oil. A ragout of dried chickpeas simmered with pork shanks, some fresh chickpeas and sliced artichoke stalks. Toasted bread crumbs to follow.

8567443644_0dc8cdffe0_z.jpg

8567443390_5dd5eb3d4a_z.jpg

8571090534_c95ae167e4_z.jpg

• Like 1

When I get so much good product like that I often look for ways to cook and store in bulk and artichoke barigoule is the way I would go with a good portion of those. Beautiful by the way! I'm a spoiled California boy when it comes to chokes.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Ah, how beautiful!

I have prepared artichokes:

Steamed and stuffed with a mixture of sauteed garlic and spinach, breadcrumbs cooked in olive oil and chopped mint with parmesan (optional) and toasted pine nuts

Steamed and stuffed with crab mayonnaise cut with creme fraiche and a little nutmeg and/or paprika

Quartered and chargrilled as an accompaniment to white fish, all served in a sauce matelote with some small shrimps in it

As fritters, prepared and steamed, then coated in a club soda batter and deep fried and served with lemon wedges

As an addition to pasta vognole

As chokes, cooked and stuffed with a coarse paste of cannelini beans, raw garlic and lemon juice topped with a piece of quickly grilled tuna, the whole wrapped in pancetta and grilled until crispy

You can also freeze them after blanching.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Artichokes stuffed with pork and turnip greens. Bound in caul fat then gently roasted with my ventrèche, lemon and olive oil. A ragout of dried chickpeas simmered with pork shanks, some fresh chickpeas and sliced artichoke stalks. Toasted bread crumbs to follow.

They're so lovely!

Baron, that is stunning! Is that a recipe you created and would you share it?

Scotty Boy, I plan on making the artichoke barigoule this week, thank you for the suggestion. I had an idea for a grilled salad with artichoke hearts, Zucchini and asparagus with feta and a lemon vinaigrette that I will make Thursday. I am very happy that the artichokes are holding in my wine cellar very nicely. I may have another 2 weeks before they are gone.

As always, you slay me.

Barigoule has been bastardized and diluted over the last few centuries. Not sure why or how the recipe (d)evolved, but originally, artichokes à la barigoule appeared in the 18th century and the name is attributed to the milk cap mushroom (Lactarius deliciosus) known as the “barigoult” derived from the provençal berigoulo. The artichokes are cut as one would pick the mushroom, turned so that they resemble the mushroom in appearance and cooked in olive oil as the mushrooms would be. Later, they were stuffed with a mixture of the mushroom and onion, wrapped in fatback or pork belly (ventrèche or petit sale) and then slowly braised.

"À la barigoule" is cooked in the manner of the mushroom.