• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Grilling Topic

Ericpo

How about tuna? Indirect cooked with hickory smoke at 250 for about 40 minutes to 135F (eek!) and then crumbled to make tuna salad. Mayo, Edmond Fallot Dijon mustard, relish, and pureed chipotle in adobo. Best tuna salad sandwich ever!

best grilling ive ever tasted was after having to dig out the weber buried under a few feet of fresh snow.

I too was unaware of the limited seasons. We don't consider ourselves dug out from a blizzards till the grill is freed. Okay the 35" this past February was an exception since I had to prioritize the roof!

How about tuna? Indirect cooked with hickory smoke at 250 for about 40 minutes to 135F (eek!) and then crumbled to make tuna salad. Mayo, Edmond Fallot Dijon mustard, relish, and pureed chipotle in adobo. Best tuna salad sandwich ever!

YES! a smoked tuna salad sandwich! Have them ready in half an hour I'm eating at your place tonight ttogull!

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda

Ok, my grill has been stuck at a friends house for a month, but no more. Tomorrow I am bringing it home...he can go buy his own lol! Soon as I get a chance I'm gonna grill up some steaks, maybe corn on the cob, and hopefully that romaine salad I discussed. Then get some pics!!! Or maybe burgers.

And as long as I have the grill going I might smoke up some tuna for sandwichs. They go great in a lunch pail;)

All I know is if I don't get some charred flesh hot off the grill soon I'll go spare!

Edited by Ericpo (log)

-Yoda

Mmmmm, lots of grilled salads! Love it!

Probably my favorite grilled salad is this, because it is sooo easy, also light on prep and cleanup.

Romaine lettuce hearts, cut in two.

Drizzle cut sides with olive oil.

Grill cut sides down untill nicely wilted and a little charred.

Dress with white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and shaved parmesan.

Some prefer grilling both sides, but I like the contrast of the cut side wilty and carmelizing with the other staying crisp. Kind of reminds me of a rare steak. :raz:

Also this is nice for those that don't have a grill wok or grill basket. I do now, but it wasn't always so.

I tried this for the first time tonight. Actually thought of your post when I saw romaine hearts at the store. Very nice. I added a little hickory smoke, and cut the hearts crosswise to make a salad. Forgot about some cherry tomatoes that, roasted, would have made a nice addition. I like the crisp/wilty contrast.

• 3 weeks later...

So tonight was 500 degree F night. I set the BGE to 500 degrees F with a little bit of mesquite wood for flavor. The star attraction was a pastured chicken dry-brined with just salt for 2+ days. Co-starring were red potatoes and asparagus. I let the BGE preheat for more than an hour at 500 along with a 12-inch cast iron pan. At T-1 hour, the potatoes went on the grate naked. At T-40 minutes, the chicken went into the pan breast up, and the potatoes were flipped and rotated. At T-20 minutes, the asparagus went on, the chicken was flipped, and the potatoes flipped and rotated. Also the chicken was basted with the rendered chicken fat. At approximately T-5 minutes, the asparagus and potatoes were done (the latter at 195 degrees F). The chicken went abit beyond T, but that was good because I could move the chicken around to get the skin on all sides brown and crispy.

It was great cooking everything at one temp. It's the first time I've cooked baked potatoes at a high temp, and I have to say that they are fantastic. It was a huge hit with the fam.

breaking in the new weber with a simple cook side ribs, chicken thighs, shrimp, mushrooms, aspargus, scapes

GEDC3967_zpsef967409.jpg

GEDC3969_zps7c39151f.jpg

GEDC3972_zpsacc1553d.jpg

GEDC3976_zps379cb71c.jpg

• Like 2

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I recently got the rotisserie attachment for the Weber, great buy! Works very well, did a pork shoulder, several chickens, and bone in skin on pork hocks (to get the Bavarian "Haxn"), all turned out great. Cooking temp is usually around 400 degree measured through the vent holes in the lid, coals banked on the sides. Sometimes I throw a piece of wood on them, sometimes I actually build little "camp fires" on each side with oak pieces from a tree we had to cut down. Oh, also stuck a whole peeled pineapple on there, that turned out wonderful.

BGE is always in action as well.

Small potatoes right on the grill or wrapped in heavy duty aluminum with some sprigs of rosemary and a handful of unpeeled garlic cloves makes for a great side.

Farmers market now has some giant sweet onions (the size of a very large heirloom tomato, if not bigger) that are utterly delicious from the grill. Baby garlic is gone from the market, but whole bulbs still find their way onto my grill all the time. Vegetables and fruit, peaches just started showing up at the market, delish from the grill!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Fired up the egg for the first time in some time. My problem was, I was missing the cast iron charcoal grate. Instead of purchasing the expensive charcoal grate, i used the weber xl metal grate on my egg. It was significantly cheaper and dare I say, it allows more airflow.

Grilled up a flank steak I just had soaking in a generic Korean Marinade that I found in my pantry this weekend. No, idea how that ended up there. It was decent.

Steak had an internal temp of 140.

2 pounder.

8935996923_639df6d28e_z.jpg

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

• 2 weeks later...

Fired up the egg for the first time in some time. My problem was, I was missing the cast iron charcoal grate. Instead of purchasing the expensive charcoal grate, i used the weber xl metal grate on my egg. It was significantly cheaper and dare I say, it allows more airflow.

Grilled up a flank steak I just had soaking in a generic Korean Marinade that I found in my pantry this weekend. No, idea how that ended up there. It was decent.

2 pounder.

Yum. Flank steak and Flatiron steaks are fast becoming my new favorites...SO much beefy flavor!

-Yoda

• 3 weeks later...

Grilled green beans are a revelation. They are seriously good. Started with about half a pound (tossed with evoo & salt), directly on the grill until charred in spots. Eaten as is, not even lemon. They were so delicious I grilled the remaining half pound.

Grilled Ratatouille-Like Stuff

1 eggplant

2 zucchini

1 large onion

2 portabella mushrooms

2 cloves garlic

2 roma tomatoes

Olive oil

Basil

Thyme

Rosemary

Parsley

S&P

Cut eggplant, zucchini, and onion in half. Cut the top off of the onion but leave the root end intact to help it hold together. Scoop the gills out of the mushroom caps. Drizzle all with olive oil. Grill directly over charcoal. In the meantime, heat garlic in olive oil over low heat. Once veggies are charred, remove from grill and cut into bite sized pieces. Add veggies to garlic and olive oil along with the chopped tomatoes. Raise heat to medium, add salt and pepper and cook until everything is hot. Add chopped herbs and serve.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 1 month later...

Since beets are I season,I thought if share my latest obsession: charred beets.

I start with beets that have the greens attached. When I get them home, I cut off the greens leaving about two inches of the stem attached to the root. When I am ready to cook, I lightly oil the roots and place the roots (still with 2-inch stems attached) over the hottest part of the charcoal fire. They can take an amazing amount of heat. I cover the grill and turn the roots occasionally. It is ok if the stems catch fire and smoke, as they seem to be inedible and the smoke adds flavor. I am guessing this takes out 20 minutes.

When everything is nice and charred, the beets still seem to be hard. So I indirect cook them for a while longer, maybe 20 minutes more. Then I pull the beets off the grill, and put into a bowl with a foil cover to let them steam until dinner is ready. They are always perfect by eating time.

For the greens part, I have a grill pan preheated on the grill over direct heat. I spread the greens over the grill pan, and let them cook undisturbed and covered until everything is wilted. I pull them off the grill trying to make the top layer on the grill the bottom layer in the serving dish - the top layer from the grill will be mostly steamed (with the familiar steamed texture) while the bottom layer from the grill will be crispy and charred (this makes a nice taste and texture contrast).

I am informal, so I serve both together and let people trim the inedible stems from their own roots. But YMMV.

It is very tasty, and I find myself buying beets and their greens quite frequently at the farmers' markets.

2 pounder.

Thats a really nice char you have on that skirt. Do you have a internal picture of the doneness? I find anything over med rare is useless for this cut. If its on the med done side, you may aswell eat bottom round london broil. In my area cuts like skirt, and flat iron are expensive compared to NY strip, Tbone, Porter, and Ribeye. All can be had for under $6/lb, where skirt. flank, and flat iron cost $8-$10/lb. They almost never go on sale.

• 1 year later...

(Excuse me if I should be posting this in a different way or place.  I'm new here and still working on navigating my way around.)

We're going to be grilling some Turkish lamb kofkas tonight and I want to add a Chinese eggplant to the grill.  Should I just cut it in half, brush with oo perhaps? and grill cut side up til done?  Maybe start on direct (cut side up or down?) and then move to indirect.  I have a few herbs in my container garden (tarragon, sage, oregano, rosemary)  that I could add somehow or some way :)  As you can tell from this post, I've not much experience with egg plant!

Thanks for your help.

It's a shame nobody answered you before now! My advice would have been to slice the eggplant lengthwise, score the cut face lightly (to allow more oil to seep in), brush with a blend of EVOO and oregano (and minced garlic, if you have it); grill face down until it browns, flip up and put on indirect heat until cooked through (soft). Eggplant collapses quickly once it starts, and it's easy to burn, so you can't have it over direct heat for very long. Brush once more with the oil/garlic mixture, sprinkle chopped parsley and/or mint over it and let that soak in while the kofta finishes cooking.

Now, what did you actually do, and how did it come out?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not a problem.  I made up a basting sauce that I first poured over them.  Of soy, sesame oil, sherry and garlic.  Sliced in half.  They're going on the grill as I type this (thanks, Bob).  It's actually a Bobby Flay 'recipe' (so shoot me).  Three minutes a side, more or less of course.

Thanks.  I've been on Chowhound for a seven years or so, so still feeling my way around here.

Not a problem.  I made up a basting sauce that I first poured over them.  Of soy, sesame oil, sherry and garlic.  Sliced in half.  They're going on the grill as I type this (thanks, Bob).  It's actually a Bobby Flay 'recipe' (so shoot me).  Three minutes a side, more or less of course.

That sounds great!  I was on a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean train of thought because of the kofta, but your treatment also sounds delicious.  Who cares whether it came from home or a celebrity cook, as long as it's good?  :smile:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread to show you what happens when you don't open your gas grill all spring and summer. (The electric smoker has all but replaced it.)20180727_183801.thumb.jpg.8490a858f5db3c9d7b7469b415993dbd.jpg

A wasp nest. Which I promptly incinerated before i grilled the hot dogs.

BTW,  grill grates don't cooperate well with hot dogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com