• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Grilling Topic

Ericpo

I looked outside today and realized spring is upon us. So I went on eG looking for a topic about my favorite cooking technique: GRILLING!!!

I found a few things, but not a general grilling thread. So I started one. :)

I love grilling. I love what open flame does to meat, seafood, veggies, fruits, even pizza. I love spending time outside, lovingly tending a slowly smoking grill. I love the culture that requires an additional grill "assistant". You know, someone(usually a man) who doesn't actually do any cooking-but still helps watch the grill. I love a cold beer in a foam holder that's only put down to flip the steaks or cheese the burgers. Fat dripping onto hot coals with a pop and sizzle, slightly charred corn on the cob, carmelized pineapple slices on icecream.....Ah!

These are all things that, for me, summer would not be complete without.

So it's a little bit before the "real" grilling season starts...let's talk about grilling! Favorite recipes, unusual techniques, desserts, sides, BBQ, grilled salads...If it involves food, fire, and friends let's hear about it.

Let's all have new ideas and recipes this summer!

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it would appear I started this discussion earlier than anybody wanted to talk about it ;) But come on now, it's mid april! Surely l cannot be the only one stoked to get outside and grill!?

-Yoda

I am with you in spirit. This week was fantastic, temperatures in the 80's. Opened the pool, turned on the fountains, and got started grilling. Did yogurt and garlic marinated chicken thighs earlier, and hamburgers today. Had fat-smoke billowing over the neighborhood, making the neighbors hungry.

That said, this is my transition period from inside cooking to outside cooking. It's going to take time to get back in sync. My timing is rusty. The sides and mains are off. I have to go into the house a dozen times to get stuff I forgot. Oil for the grate, a flippin' plate for the meat, so on. Things like remembering a weight for my wax paper sheets so they don't blow around the yard while I'm getting the burgers on. Or getting back into grinding my own meat instead of the bland premade stuff I had. Gotta put the braisers and pressure cookers away in my head, and start thinking about fire and smoke.

But that beer certainly helps me laugh at myself until I get the rhythm back. Then I'll want to grill everything in sight. Got a new BGE that I plan to use as an outdoor oven. Can't wait to get to grips with that! Then Fall will be here too soon, and I'll have to transition back to indoor cooking...

I am with you in spirit. This week was fantastic, temperatures in the 80's. Opened the pool, turned on the fountains, and got started grilling. Did yogurt and garlic marinated chicken thighs earlier, and hamburgers today. Had fat-smoke billowing over the neighborhood, making the neighbors hungry.

That said, this is my transition period from inside cooking to outside cooking. It's going to take time to get back in sync. My timing is rusty. The sides and mains are off. I have to go into the house a dozen times to get stuff I forgot. Oil for the grate, a flippin' plate for the meat, so on. Things like remembering a weight for my wax paper sheets so they don't blow around the yard while I'm getting the burgers on. Or getting back into grinding my own meat instead of the bland premade stuff I had. Gotta put the braisers and pressure cookers away in my head, and start thinking about fire and smoke.

But that beer certainly helps me laugh at myself until I get the rhythm back. Then I'll want to grill everything in sight. Got a new BGE that I plan to use as an outdoor oven. Can't wait to get to grips with that! Then Fall will be here too soon, and I'll have to transition back to indoor cooking...

Bah! Fall? Perish the thought! Grilling is like riding a bike or having sex;) you never really forget how! But what's this about yogurt and garlic marinade? Do share....nomnomnom!

-Yoda

And I have several recipes for amazing stuffed burgers, Juicy Lucy's, that I just can't wait to make again! I've been working on my recipes for about three years...Mushroom and Swiss, classic Bacon and Cheddar, and Southwest Chipotle. I'm working on a blue cheese version, but I refuse to rush it!

-Yoda

Young and single or recently married? I'm long time married. We won't talk about about getting rusty at...um...bicycle riding.

The chicken I've made a few times. It is the most insanely garlicky and flavorful I've had. It is part of Heston Blumenthal's Tikka Masala, but the masala sauce isn't really necessary. HB shows how to make a makeshift tandoor oven on a Weber, but I just grill it.

I'll give you the bare bones. The scale is 8 boneless chicken thighs. I get mine from a Halal butcher whose chickens massively smell like chicken and have tiny breasts. Awesome stuff.

Anyway, 8% salt brine for 6 hours. Then soak in fresh water for 2 hours, changing the water every 30 minutes.

Then prepare a rub consisting of 3 bulbs (!) of raw garlic, 2 bulbs of roasted garlic, olive oil, and salt, and rub onto the chicken. Leave for 5 hours.

Then prepare a marinade of masala powder (homemade and toasted), yogurt, chili powder, and olive oil. Shake off the rub (honestly, not a lot comes off)' and marinate for 10 hours.

Then I just direct grill it. But be prepared for neighbors to be running to your house with plates. I don't know if it's the yogurt, the olive oil, or chicken fat, but this produces some serious smoke. Good smelling smoke. My kid called it the "best chicken perfume ever" and proceeded to run around in the smoke. I could barely see through my glasses when I was done.

You can use the chicken for a lot. Tikka masala of course, or good old fashioned chicken sandwiches. Chopped onto pasta. Lots more.

Tell me about your Juicy Lucy. I need a good burger story after tonight's disappointment with the premade crap. It did come from a supposedly good place and was a blend of chuck, short rib, and sirloin. Tried to take a shortcut and paid for it.

ETA. I forgot to include 200 g of ginger in the rub.

Edited by Ttogull (log)

Bone in skin on chicken thighs in:

Soy

Chopped garlic

Grated ginger

Chili paste

Sesame oil

Ketchup

Let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge.

Grill over lump charcoal with a chunk or 2 of pecan.

Beef Fajitas

Skirt steak

Marinate in

Beer

Chopped jalapeno

Chopped onion

Chopped garlic

Chopped cilantro

Chili powder

Cumin

Grill over screaming hot coals to sear, then move over cool side of the Weber and finish to med-rare with the lid on. Rest, slice against the grain and serve with fajita fixin's.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

A cool recipe I just cooked recently - grilled edamame (although it would work with english peas, snow peas, etc). Th general procedure involves making a flavorful glaze and then tossing charred edamame with the glaze.

Ingredients

18-24 oz edamame (frozen or fresh, in pods)

1 2" piece Ginger

1 Thai chili

1 large shallot

2 bunches green onion

.5 cup fish sauce

.25 cup sugar

.25 cup water

1 lime

sesame oil

chili oil

Glaze

-Add diced shallots, micro-planed ginger, minced green onions, thai chili to a dry saucepan over high and caramelize

-Deglaze with fish sauce, add some sugar, water, and lime juice and reduce a bit

-Strain and reserve

Edamame

-I boiled the edamame for ~5 minutes as normal, then let cool/dry.

-Toss the edamame with chili oil, sesame oil, coarse salt, and cracked pepper to coat

-Preheat a grill over high

-Throw the edamame on the grill using a grill sheet and toss occasionally until all of the edamame is lightly charred/blistered

-Reserve in bowl, toss with glaze

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Tell me about your Juicy Lucy. I need a good burger story after tonight's disappointment with the premade crap. It did come from a supposedly good place and was a blend of chuck, short rib, and sirloin. Tried to take a shortcut and paid for it.

ETA. I forgot to include 200 g of ginger in the rub.

Thanks for the chicken recipe, I'll be sure to try it when I get the chance...Lotta prep I notice. Sounds amazing though!

This is one of my proudest creations. I will warn you they are not the easiest things in the world to make, but I have never-and I mean NEVER-had someone not like them. As you will see, they are not health food.

Ok, for 'my' Juicy Lucy, the original Bacon Cheddar you need:

2.5 lbs good quality fresh ground beef, 85/15 lean/fat.

8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, sliced

1 lb Thick Cut Bacon, cooked(very crispy) and crumbled

1 egg

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

2-3 TBSP minced Garlic(the kind out of a jar).

Fresh black pepper and salt to taste.

Makes 5

Have standing ready the sliced cheese and crumbled bacon.

In a mixing bowl, combine beef, egg, garlic, black pepper, and worcestershire sauce. With the garlic, add some water from the jar with each spoonful. Using your hands, mix together until completely combined. Divide in half.

Using one half of beef, make 5 (1/4 lb) patties, making them wide and thin. Place these on a platter. Onto each patty, place cheese and bacon crumbles, being careful to keep them about 1/2 an inch in from the edge.

Using the other half of the beef mixture, make 5 additional patties and place them on top of the bacon and cheddar. Pick each up and pinch the edges together, completely sealing in the bacon and cheese(this is crucial). Salt and pepper patties.

At this stage, the burgers can go directly on to the grill, but I find they benefit from a few hours in the fridge. Also, I will often make a whole batch, and freeze raw the ones I don't need right away.

To the grill: Oil cooking grate. Over high direct heat, grill burgers. Try to not flip more than once, as they are delicate. I usually like to grill them to medium, and then remove from the flame and tent with foil for 5 minutes, they carryover cook this way. While grilling, keep an eye out for melting cheese running out...this happens if the edges are not sufficiently sealed.

The first time you make these, you will almost certainly have some burgers that lose their cheese...it takes some practice. To make a somewhat healthier and easier version, omit the bacon.

Good luck!

-Yoda

Thanks for the chicken recipe, I'll be sure to try it when I get the chance...Lotta prep I notice. Sounds amazing though!

This is one of my proudest creations. I will warn you they are not the easiest things in the world to make, but I have never-and I mean NEVER-had someone not like them. As you will see, they are not health food.!

Thanks for the burger recipe. I love bacon and cheese, and putting it in a burger sounds pretty good. I'll definitely give it a go - i think my kid would get a big kick out of a stuffed burger.

I am getting into the grilling groove more quickly than I anticipated. Tonight I made one of my favorite easy meals, but with one small change that made it better. I make a Mexican "Gulf Coast" rice pilaf from a recipe by Rick Bayless that I adapted to brown rice (and using rendered fat and beef stock made with some incredible ox tail), some mustard greens with rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sesame oil, and then: awesome Halal thin-cut ribeye with Korean Ssam Jang. My Halal butcher simply has the best meat I've ever had. This will be my first grilling season to use his meat, and so far it takes everything to another level. I don't think the meat is graded or anything; it just tastes and smells like meat. Really good fresh meat.

Anyway, the ribeye was about 1/8" thick. I put my Lodge pizza pan directly over hot natural lump charcoal. I didn't measure this time, but in the past the pan gets to 750-800 degrees. Put the ribeye on in batches to avoid crowding. Awesome browning, and the fat content kept everything moist and lubricated.

This is one of my proudest creations. I will warn you they are not the easiest things in the world to make, but I have never-and I mean NEVER-had someone not like them. As you will see, they are not health food.!

Thanks for the burger recipe. I love bacon and cheese, and putting it in a burger sounds pretty good. I'll definitely give it a go - i think my kid would get a big kick out of a stuffed burger.

I am getting into the grilling groove more quickly than I anticipated. Tonight I made one of my favorite easy meals, but with one small change that made it better. I make a Mexican "Gulf Coast" rice pilaf from a recipe by Rick Bayless that I adapted to brown rice (and using rendered fat and beef stock made with some incredible ox tail), some mustard greens with rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sesame oil, and then: awesome Halal thin-cut ribeye with Korean Ssam Jang. My Halal butcher simply has the best meat I've ever had. This will be my first grilling season to use his meat, and so far it takes everything to another level. I don't think the meat is graded or anything; it just tastes and smells like meat. Really good fresh meat.

Anyway, the ribeye was about 1/8" thick. I put my Lodge pizza pan directly over hot natural lump charcoal. I didn't measure this time, but in the past the pan gets to 750-800 degrees. Put the ribeye on in batches to avoid crowding. Awesome browning, and the fat content kept everything moist and lubricated.

OMG, that sounds absolutely fabulous. I am a big advocate of meat having an appropriate fat content. I am coming over to your place for dinner! And FYI, if the burger recipe turns out I'll pass on the other two more challenging types(mushroom n swiss and southwest chipotle). It's snowing outside at the moment, or I would be out at my grill instead of my computer! Keep grillin!

-Yoda

best grilling ive ever tasted was after having to dig out the weber buried under a few feet of fresh snow.

This is absolutely true, though I wish it were not at the moment :(. But it is true nonetheless, we savor and appreciate that which is fleeting.

-Yoda

best grilling ive ever tasted was after having to dig out the weber buried under a few feet of fresh snow.

Show off :)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

My grilling season does not start at home. I have an 8-burner event grill that I use as part of preparing a mid-day feast for a group (we're feeding 70) of Renaissance Pleasure Faire re-enactors. Seasoned beef is always cooked on the grill. I don't do custom rubs. My favorite purchased rub is Garlic Festival Mesquite Grill. It is always popular at faire and at home. Some days it just the classic kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and Lawrys garlic granuals. I start chicken and pork in the oven, then season them and finish them on the grill. The chicken in the oven first is to help keep down the flare-ups from too much fat dripping down. The pork in the oven first is because, remember this is a grill (no lid) not a BBQ, I can't get the temperature down low enough to properly cook the pork without getting the outside beyond a good char and entering just plain burnt. I've done roasted corn-on-the-cob with good results. I may try asparagus this year. Proably grilled Zucchini as well.

Once faire season is over I will begin BBQing on my patio. I am particularly found of boneless skinless chicken thighs seasoned with whatever strikes me, grilled and served immeadiately. Sadly, I have no trout waiting in the freezer this year. For me trout rubbed with olive oil and garlic, then cooked on the BBQ is something just short of heaven. My wife had gastric bypass surgery which changed her dietary requirements and her digestive tract in general. Anything hinting at being too dry no longer works for her so pork loin chops are a thing of the past, We don't eat a lot of beef just because I hate paying the price for what I like, Vacation is the exeption. We vacation in the eastern Sierras and the last night of the trip has to be BBQed steak.

I do like to cook sausages on the BBQ. Once every couple of years I try to get to a particular German deli for their Nurnberger sausages.

So obviously I'm not a heavyweight when it comes to grilling and BBQing but I certainly like to when time allows.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Ok so this is a little off the wall: Veggie Burgers.

Let me be clear: I am not vegetarian, do not wish to be vegetarian, and will never be vegetarian. Animals are delicious critters that belong on a grill, by and large. BUT many of my friends and loved ones are vegetarians, and I have to love them regardless. :raz:

So my question is this: does anybody have some good pattie-style vegetable concoctions that can be made in advance and then grilled? I'm not looking for something that simulates real meat in any way other than shape and preparation. I've heard of a lot of different styles, but most need fried. I want to offer my BBQ guests who happen to be vegetarians something tasty, off the grill, and high in protein.

I know that many veggies are amazing as they are when subjected to a lil fire, Portabello caps especially. Just curious if there are any cool recipes floating around out there. Even ideas would be helpful at this point...vegetarian cooking to me has generally meant not adding quite so much bacon to the burger. :biggrin:

-Yoda

Not a recipe, but it's spring, that means baby onions and even more important, baby garlic is at the market! I could eat bowls of grilled baby garlic and onions! Sometimes they'll be hot off the grill, sometimes I cut them up and dress them like a salad. And sometimes I turn them into a soup. Wonderful stuff!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

OliverB, I agree. When I first read your post, I had not heard the term baby garlic. The farmers market I get them from calls them something different, I forget. But they sure are tasty.

Tonight's grilling session was a favorite - lamb meatballs. I cook meatballs because I have been spectacularly unsuccessful at ground lamb kabobs, with the meat falling off the skewers - although I might know a fix. Anyway, this is just the highest quality lamb - the smell even raw was intoxicating - seasoned just with salt. High heat until medium. Quite a show with the whole grill looking like it's on fire during flip time. Served with a garlic yogurt sauce.

But the surprise of the night was roasted fresh fava beans. Roast them right in the pods, and even the skin that one normally peels off (as I have always done) is quite edible and tasty. We roasted in the oven, but I think grilling them would have been even better. The pods do a great job of protecting the beans from the heat. I need to get more just to experiment.

My foray into grilled zucchini pleased me. What I didn't expect was needing to use significantly higher temperatures than I use for beef/pork/poultry. Is this typical?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;