Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.


Problem with Kenwood sausage filler attachment

Recommended Posts


I did one of my first attemts at sausage making yesterday; and had a rather frustrating experience with my Kenwood Chef sausage filler attachment.

I had to press really hard to get anything to come out of the nozzle, and the "plastic stuffer" was hard to get up again, because of the vacum beeing produced. The meat was gooy and a mashy when it finally got into the casings.

Is this attachment any good at all, or did I do something wrong, like pressing down to hard? I sure was hard work, I got a real good workout.

I sous vided the sausages to 61.5c and shock-chilled. I have not tasted them yet; but they look almost like emulsified sausages (not intended!) - I am hoping for great taste and sub-par texture :-)

Edited by glennbech (log)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, all stuffer attachments to mixers are garbage, for exactly the reasons you describe. The only people I know who've had success with them ground directly into the casing, without the added mixing step. Obviously this results in a different (and in many cases inferior) texture. I had a go at using one a couple times (the price was right!) but in the end relented and bought a dedicated stuffer.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the several attempts with my KA stuffer attachment I had the same experience you describe, and like Chris, I ultimately relented and bought a dedicated stuffer. FWIW, I got a 5-pound piston stuffer, and for me, at least, it makes a world of difference. I really would have a hard time overstating how much it improved my final results.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had very good results by doing the grind first then removing the cutting blades when we were doing the stuffing.

I do the same thing wih my KitchenAid. It is a two-person operation and is relatively slow, but I am able to successfully stuff sausages with the sausage attachment. I am sure that it's much faster with a dedicated stuffer but I just can't justify the expense.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not used a stand mixer attachment for sausage, but I have used an electric grinder, which I assume is similar, (Later, I moved to a hand-cranked grinder, which I prefer. Have never used a dedicated stuffer.) Yes, you are very definitely supposed to remove the blade and disk when using the stuffing attachment. (The OP doesn't indicate whether he did or didn't.) It shouldn't take much force to use the attachment. Only enough to move the sausage mixture into the screw, which does the actual work.

Assuming leaving the blade-and-disk in place isn't the problem, two other possibilities come to mind. One is that the mixture warmed in grinding. The solution is to chill before stuffing. (Indeed, I would say this is a good idea regardless of the method used to stuff.) Another is that the mixture was ground too finely and/or sheared rather than cut. Chilling the meat well before grinding (preferably until ice crystals just begin to form) will help with this problem as well.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By Giampiero
      Is there anyone in the forum that can suggest me how to cook this kind of Portuguese sausage?
      Many thanks in advance!!!!
    • By yoboseyo
      Novice at meat-curer looking for advice. I'm making 2 pancettas this season.
      The first one I used the over-salting technique. What I didn't expect was that the salt would all turn into brine in a day, and I expected that I could scrape away the excess salt at the end. Instead, I left it on the brine for too long, and the result was too salty. The meat firmed up in 2 days so I should've taken it out then.
      For my second one, which is currently in the fridge, I used the equilibrium salting technique. I added about 100g salt for 3.5kg meat. The problem now is that it's not firming up seemingly at all! It has been 9 days in the fridge, and flipping it every day or 2. After 6 days, however, there was no pool of brine left. I put the meat in a folded over but unsealed bag. Did the brine evaporate or resoak into the meat?
      Any advice on how to continue would be appreciated.
    • By davidcross
      I made some Lonza and cured it for 2 weeks.
      In the drying chamber (70% humidity and 55F with gentle air flow) it's only been 4 days but it's already lost 30% of its pre-drying chamber weight. Normally that can take weeks.
      Is that normal, and is the meat ready?
      Thank you
    • By davidcross
      My first Guanciale is looking good. It smells clean, fresh, and is firming up nicely after about 3 weeks in the curing chamber at 65% humidity and 55F. First piece slices nicely and it seems great.
      I've a question…
      On the outside are some tiny white/straw-colored flecks (ignore darker flecks - this is some remaining Thyme from the cure).
      They do not penetrate the skin and I am not sure whether it's mold or salt coming out or fat or what.
      Thoughts? Likely safe?
      Thank you

    • By liuzhou
      I have received a wonderful gift from a lovely friend.

      A whole home cured, dried pig face. I call her Cameron.
      This will be used slowly over the winter. I'm dribbling thinking about the ears stir-fried with chilies Hunan style. The cheeks! The snout!  I'm ecstatic. 


      I'm watching!
      I'll follow up with with how I use it, but for the moment I'm just content watching her watching me as she hangs in the wind on my balcony. It's love!
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.