• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polyscience Creative vs. Chef Series

Ramathorn

Hey all,

I'm about to take the plunge and buy an immersion rig. I've given it a lot of thought and decided it's down to either of Chef or Creative Polyscience units. I want a unit with a pump, a high degree of precision, and to basically be self-contained (not a controller and a rice cooker, for example). It seems like those two fit the bill and are (relatively) reasonably priced.

Based on the discounts, shipping, etc. it's essentially going to be a $217 difference between the two. I can't decide if the Chef series is worth it.

I'm not sure how often I'll use the rig, it could be 5 nights a week with some 24-48 hours cooking times, or maybe I won't use it that much. Anything is in the cards at this point.

I'm most concerned about the durability of the Creative.

Polyscience bills it as for "casual use", which I understand (in their definition of the term) to mean 2-3 times per week.

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, that might guide me here?

Thanks for any assistance.

Let me say at the outset that I have no experience with either unit. But when I see wording like this, I suspect marketing people are trying to differentiate the two products and not cannibalize their more expensive restaurant unit's sales.

I just bought the Creative Series a month ago and it seems like a very well built device. You can definitely tell this company had a lab equipment background and not just some weak heat pump.

Anyway, I have the same thoughts, ended up buying the Creative Series MC@H kit, and have no regrets. I usually do buy the pro products but in this case I cheaped out and am totally happy.

I only use my 2-3 times per week right now, but one of those times will be 72 hours!

For those that have had a chance to compare both, is there a comparable difference in build quality?

Ive only had the creative for about a month, but it feels as solid and well built as the professional series to me. I think they need to be on the market for a little longer before we know for sure about the durability of them. The professional series has proven itself to be pretty durable.

I'm having the same debate. The big differences that I can find out about are the Professional has a variable 12L/min circulator and the Creative has a fixed 6L/min one. The Professional will go up to 100C while the Creative only goes to 99C. With those differences for home use, I think I will go with the Creative. I will keep you posted as my adventure unfolds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping an old thread. I'm about to purchase the Creative as a house warming present. How have they been holding up? Thanks.

Wow, great house warming gift!

I've been very happy with my Creative. That said, I don't use it more than the recommended amount so I can't speak to that issue (not because I'm concerned, just because I still cook conventionally quite often and I'm only cooking at home).

It seems very well constructed, however, and notwithstanding that I haven't compared it to the pro version I'm not all that worried about its build quality.

All in all, would recommend.

Bumping an old thread. I'm about to purchase the Creative as a house warming present. How have they been holding up? Thanks.

That said, I don't use it more than the recommended amount so I can't speak to that issue

There is a recommended amount of time for use? I dont really read directions very often so I guess I missed that part!

That said, I don't use it more than the recommended amount so I can't speak to that issue

There is a recommended amount of time for use? I dont really read directions very often so I guess I missed that part!

I'm referring to my original post which said:

"Polyscience bills it as for "casual use", which I understand (in their definition of the term) to mean 2-3 times per week."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Argh...well after regular use for about a year and half my CREATIVE series IC (I posted about it a while back but am not able to locate the original posts to update) juts stopped heating. It circulates and powers on fine. The "waves" icon on the LCD indicating it is heating shows up but it certainly does not heat the water. Needless to say this is upsetting since my warranty expired and Polyscience wants $85 at least plus shipping to even look at it. At that rate I'd rather just get an Anova!

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1- to add to the conversation about this series and potentially their even cheaper latest model for those considering them

2- any suggestions how i might be able to repair it myself? is it a fuse that is burnt? can the heater be busted? 

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

FoodMan - while mine is still going strong, I would definitely go with something like the Sansaire or Anova.  (actually, I bought a Sansaire back in January to be able to do two temps at once)  The technology isn't getting more expensive and I'd take my chances that one of the new $200 ones will last longer that 1/4 as long as PS.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on the repair side.

I did chip in for the new Anova kickstarter, so I'll get one one of those later this year. As for my circulator, well I opened it up and found what the issue is. Basically one of the wires that goes to the heater just got burnt through! very odd. Looks like moisture somehow crept in there and caused corrosion (also odd...I would think PS units should be more durable than that!). I might be able to solder the wire back and have it working. We'll see.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

If you can't fix it, maybe you can shame them into repairing it for a reasonable price. If they really insist on $85 plus shipping to look at a defect, that's a serious strike against the company.

My thoughts exactly Paul. I emailed them something along those lines this morning. FWIW attached is a picture of the circulator showing the issue.1-20140614_204647.jpg

• Like 2

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog