• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan Jackfruit Tacos

GlorifiedRice

On one of the TV shows (maybe Eat St) there was a vegan food truck called Seabirds that makes vegan pulled "pork" tacos and

taquitos out of crushed Immature Unripe Jackfruit, in the can..

http://seabirdstruck.com/so-what-is-jackfruit/

Now there are tons of other pulled jackfruit recipes on the net..

I just made my own version and OMG It tasted like meat!

Have you guys made any of these savory jackfruit recipes on the net?

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

My wife makes jackfruit "pulled pork" sandwiches (with homemade bbq sauce) that are great. We sometimes add a little tempeh bacon for flavor and protein.

So good with just some pickles and Vegenaise on a trashy white bread bun.

8143398103_2be8dd7d15_o.jpg

For making fake meat, I think you want green jackfruit, not the sweeter ripe ones. We just use the canned ones, which are quite cheap at Asian markets.

She wings the sauce, but the rough ingredients are:

• ketchup
  • molasses
  • cider vinegar
  • tomato paste
  • dijon mustard
  • soy sauce
  • water
Edited by Will (log)

I have a jackfruit tree in my yard and get about one fruit a year, not as many as the picture in the Seabird link. The ripe fruit tastes similar to pineapple, banana, and apple combined. The last fruit I picked was over 20 pounds and I ended up freezing some which tasted good when defrosted. The big fruit contains multiple large seeds, almost the size of a date, and each seed is surrounded by the edible fruit. I’ve been told the seeds are also edible but I never tried eating them since I think they need to be dried or roasted but I don’t have enough information to try it yet. You have to pick the fruit at the exact moment it is ripe, when it has a fragrant scent. If you pick it too late it has a very unpleasant smell and you don’t want to eat it. I have never heard of eating it green. The “pulled pork” sandwich looks delicious; I’ll have to try it next year. Carole Grogloth Hawaii

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii