• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYU Food Studies Master’s Program/Food Anthropology

I’ve searched around the internet and have seen relatively little written about the program, besides a few assorted chowhound posts. Has anyone completed the Food Studies Graduate program at NYU (Food culture concentration) or any other Food Studies masters programs? I’m considering my career options and thinking about getting into the food industry, but not behind the stove, possibly something that combines my interests of food and culture. The courses look really interesting, but I wanted to see if there were any alumni out here I could talk to. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Boris,

I didn't take the masters, but I did speak to a few people who did. I did some googling and found some people who took the program. I emailed the blogger behind blondie and brownie on her experience there. To me this question is the same as asking whether one should go to MBA school or get any other higher degree. What do you want to learn by going to school and is it going to help you find a job in your area of interest?

School is one way to gain knowledge and make connections, but it can be a big commitment. Volunteering or interning at a place you're interested in is a good way to start.

There's a thriving food scene here in the SFBay Area and I volunteered at a non-profit that works with food entrepreneurs to launch and grow their food businesses.

I got some ideas from Good Food Jobs and maybe this book could be useful to you: Culinary Careers, How to Get Your Dream Job in Food. There are actually a lot of jobs out there that don't require you to physically prepare it. Marketing, food business consulting, food non-profits, etc. I've noticed that some people specialize in a skill and apply it to different industries. Example: a small businesses consultant who consults in all kinds of businesses but specializes in food; a writer who specializes in food writing, but also writes about local punk rock music and events; a design researcher who..... What I've taken is that most of these people are entrepreneurial types who create that own jobs and are consultants and freelancers who juggle multiple projects at the same time.

Boris, what do you want to do in food?