• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deer Heart & Liver? Recipes?

Stone

I had good success with pork liver some years back, and I suspect deer liver would work as well. If you search for the topic "Everything but the oink?" in this forum and look at posts 5, 13 and 15, you'll see some good ideas. They all involve slicing and a quick saute, with various seasonings or sauces added. Sorry I can't post a link, but either this tablet or the software is preventing me from finding a way to do it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I might imagine as you do with a veal or beef heart. The last veal heart I braised gently most of the day and it was stuffed with bread stuffing. I sous vide lots of things, but have not tried heart. However, I probably would prefer a longer time frame than discussed above.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

We had very freshly-killed Sika deer liver a couple of years ago. I think we very simply seared it in butter with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, maybe with a little fresh sage added. I do remember it was great; very different texture to lamb or calf liver. DON'T overcook it!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

"I had good success with pork liver some years back, and I suspect deer liver would work as well. "

The only similarity between deer and pork liver is the word 'liver'.

Venison liver is totally devoid of fat. Cut into1/4" slices, saute in hot butter quickly so it's just cooked and serve and eat immediately.

Prolonged cooking will result in rubber and eating cold will enhance the gamey taste.

I have friend in Northern Wisconsin that shoots as many deer as legally possible (It's how they eat).

B

He boils the hearts, chills and serves thinly sliced with salt. Works quite well.-Dick

The Ozark method for deer heart is to either cut it up in little pieces and add it to the stock for veggie soup, or to slice it thin, bread and fry quickly. Deer liver--always pan fried quickly in bacon grease, served with lots of sliced onions cooked to sweet tenderness in that same bacon grease.

sparrowgrass